IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Plams around Sydney

Mohsen

As my job , I need to drive in different locations in/around Sydney...

If I see any interesting Palm , I will post it here...

I hope you find some of them interested ,,,

I saw these 2 Dypsis decaryi , there were one very big established one in the back yard but I couldn't take any photo

triangle.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have you already visited Hyde Park? Here e.g. a Butia sp.:

Butia_Sydney_1979-07-29.thumb.jpg.56dbd7

I have been there but didn't notice any palms ( before my Palm area :))...I will revisit again...I have seen many I think Butia capitata all around Sydney though...

In Palmland Nursery ...Last Friday ...been told the below one is Butia capitata but dont know why is green?

pl1.JPG

pl2.JPG

Edited by Mohsen

OMG!

Did you fill all the space of your car when you left Palmland?

Is Licuala elegans actually L. grandis?

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

OMG!

I only bought one Trachycarpus fortunei and one chamaedorea atrovirens...many others like  "Licuala elegans" , "Licuala ramsayi ","Butia capitata" ( which I dont know why was green ) and "Beccariophoenix alfredii"were very  expensive ( more than $130.00) for the smallest size :(

OMG!

I only bought one Trachycarpus fortunei and one chamaedorea atrovirens...many others like  "Licuala elegans" , "Licuala ramsayi ","Butia capitata" ( which I dont know why was green ) and "Beccariophoenix alfredii"were very  expensive ( more than $130.00) for the smallest size :(

Can you post a pic of the "Ch. atrovirens" in your "my own palms" thread? It is likely to be Ch. cataractarum. – The yellow leaves of the Butia capitata/odorata may come from pH problems in the soil or other deficiencies.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

OMG!

Can you post a pic of the "Ch. atrovirens" in your "my own palms" thread? It is likely to be Ch. cataractarum. – The yellow leaves of the Butia capitata/odorata may come from pH problems in the soil or other deficiencies.

pal,

I have already posted a photo of Ch. atrovirens,

there

OMG!

Most L.elegans sold are really L. peltata v. sumawonga

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Mohsen, those licuala's are nicely grown. jump-on those !!

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

OMG!

Are the Licuala we see on the picture L. peltata sumawongii?

If so, they can be $150.00 since they are already big

If they are Licuala grandis, easier and faster species, it's expensive.

Philippe

OMG!

Are the Licuala we see on the picture L. peltata sumawongii?

If so, they can be $150.00 since they are already big

If they are Licuala grandis, easier and faster species, it's expensive.

I just report the news......based on how they look, I am not certain; I would find a Licuala expert to be certain.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Oh, sorry, I saw only the Trachy;) Indeed, your Chamaedorea is Ch. cataractarum.

The tag says "chamaedorea atrovirens" what is the differences? can they get full sun? at the moment I keep it inside.

Mate, I have seen 'Chamaedorea atrovirens' labels all over Sydney for years, but it is an obsolete name, an old Synonym, it has been reclassified to "cataractarum" now, but nurseries   .are still getting rid of their old tags. The same plant is now called Ch. cataractarum.

Edited by gtsteve
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Oh, sorry, I saw only the Trachy;) Indeed, your Chamaedorea is Ch. cataractarum.

The tag says "chamaedorea atrovirens" what is the differences? can they get full sun? at the moment I keep it inside.

chamaedorea cataractarum easy to grow, not in full sun,  is better  more shade

• Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

Actually my 3 clumps don't seem to mind full sun, but I am right on the coast, I can hear the waves on the rocks, and the plants are right up against the northern fence, so they are fairly protected but are growing happily over the 7' fence, but I keep the water up to them.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thanks guys for the clarification...are they suitable to be kept as indoor houseplants ( like Chamaedorea Elegans) ?

yes can grow indoors, but outside  is better, if you have more plants, having male and female, they can also produce seeds

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Today while I was walking in the neighbor I noticed these Archontophoenix alexandrae and Archontopheonix cunninghamiana...

I think the Archontophoenix alexandrae are thicker and also greener in crownshaft , please correct me if I am wrong...

These are most common palms around here after Syagrus romanzoffiana...

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Oh myyy!!! I sometimes wish I could start my own palm nursery. Palms are ridiculously cheap here with the aforementioned L.grandis as an example going for around 60,000 VND (about $3 US) for a plant of a similar size.....

• Upvote 2

Nick C - Living it up in tropical 'Nam....

PHZ - 13

10°.57'N - 106°.50'E

I see A. cunninghamiana for sure.  In the first pic, it looks like the palm furthest on the left might be a Howea?  Hard to tell.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Oh myyy!!! I sometimes wish I could start my own palm nursery. Palms are ridiculously cheap here with the aforementioned L.grandis as an example going for around 60,000 VND (about $3 US) for a plant of a similar size.....

So do I wish in Sri Lanka, but very few gardeners or even less owners are interested by other the common species .

What is the size you mention for Licuala grandis at $3 US?

• Upvote 1

Philippe

All Archontophoenix are beautiful. No matter how common they might become I can never get tired of them. I think there is also a nice size Ravenea rivularis in the first photo. 

• Upvote 2

All Archontophoenix are beautiful. No matter how common they might become I can never get tired of them. I think there is also a nice size Ravenea rivularis in the first photo. 

I couldn't find Ravenea rivularis in the first photo?

I might be wrong but the one which I marked around with red looks like a Ravenea Rivularis. It looks like a well grown too! Very good find. The same with the Cycad.

FullSizeRender1(4).jpg

I'd agree with Stelios there does appear to be a Ravenea rivularis and a Howea forsteriana  amongst those Archontopheonix. It is a very typical palm garden found in Sydney or Adelaide maybe Melbourne too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pip...Now I noticed, that is a Ravenea rivularis for sure with thicker trunk and fatter at lower,,,

Is it Ravenea rivularis in my 2nd photo from top of this page too?

Thanks Pip...Now I noticed, that is a Ravenea rivularis for sure with thicker trunk and fatter at lower,,,

Is it Ravenea rivularis in my 2nd photo from top of this page too?

Yes and it looks very healthy. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say all of the Archontophoenix in that photo are A.cunninghamiana. Definitely a Howea and Ravenea there too.

The Cycad looks to be Lepidozamia peroffskyana

regards,

Daryl

• Upvote 1

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!