IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hyphaene Compressa branches in Phoenix

Rod

I noticed the other day that my Hyphaene compressa has decided to branch.  As with the other hyphaenes, they all branched at the ground level - none have branched above ground.  I cut off all of the ground level branches so it grew faster.  It is now over 20' tall and has decided now to branch - a first for my hyphaenes!  I've included a photo of it.  BTW, it has not flowered as yet - so no idea whether male or female.  Right in the center of the photo you will notice 2 petioles next to each other.  I'll try to post another photo next year when it is more noticeable.

rod

phoenix

IMG_2322.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 9

awesome looking palm. cant wait to see future pic's of your H.C.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Rod, That is so cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Very nice blue grey colour

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Nice, Rod, looks like it's grown since I saw it last.  Looks like some acrocomia fronds next to it as well, those were definitely smaller a few years ago. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 1 year later...

Some years ago, someone on Palmtalk suggested using potassium to help palms endure frosts better (I want to give the guy credit for this, I will find his name and post it as some point).  Last year I added potassium to my watering routine to see if in fact it would help protect the fronds against frost.  This past winter (2015-2016) I had 12 nights at or below freezing (lowest temperature was 28.9°) (21 total chill hours below 32°).  In years past, at any time the temperature hit 32° my hyphaenes would show some frost damage.  This past winter, none of my palms showed any frost damage.

So, this year I decided to do it again to see if there will be any frost damage.  I'll reply to this thread and let everyone know!

Rod

phoenix, arizona

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rod said:

Some years ago, someone on Palmtalk suggested using potassium to help palms endure frosts better (I want to give the guy credit for this, I will find his name and post it as some point).  Last year I added potassium to my watering routine to see if in fact it would help protect the fronds against frost.  This past winter (2015-2016) I had 12 nights at or below freezing (lowest temperature was 28.9°) (21 total chill hours below 32°).  In years past, at any time the temperature hit 32° my hyphaenes would show some frost damage.  This past winter, none of my palms showed any frost damage.

So, this year I decided to do it again to see if there will be any frost damage.  I'll reply to this thread and let everyone know!

Rod

phoenix, arizona

Great looking H. compressa rod.  Have also heard the same info. regarding extra application of Potassium in the fall for palms, and things like Plumeria, Hibiscus, and other sensitive stuff. While it may take a few more winters to fully confirm just how much frost/ freeze protection the extra K boost may provide, your observations, among others shared here thus far are encouraging. 

the compressas are from seed that I received from missionaries in Eritrea back in 2001.  My notes say that they were planted "in situ" 7-21-01.

rod

• Upvote 1

Awesome!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

On 10/23/2015, 11:27:33, Rod said:

are you growing any palms/cycads in west virginia?

rod

Oops I just noticed your question, the only palm I currently have is my potted Rhapidophllum hystrix and I don't dare plant it in the ground because I don't want to lose it when we move.  I finished my engineering degree earlier this year and in spite of some real concerted efforts to find a job in warmer parts of Texas, I was offered a job in Akron Ohio instead.  So I'm still living on non-palmy country with hopes of moving somewhere warm and being able to stay there forever at some point in the future.

BTW, awesome Hyphaene! Not bad growth for one year, you can clearly see the split now

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2015, 1:02:07, Rod said:

I noticed the other day that my Hyphaene compressa has decided to branch.  As with the other hyphaenes, they all branched at the ground level - none have branched above ground.  I cut off all of the ground level branches so it grew faster.  It is now over 20' tall and has decided now to branch - a first for my hyphaenes!  I've included a photo of it.  BTW, it has not flowered as yet - so no idea whether male or female.  Right in the center of the photo you will notice 2 petioles next to each other.  I'll try to post another photo next year when it is more noticeable.

rod

phoenix

IMG_2322.JPGWow Rod!  What a beauty!  A very happy looking palm indeed!  The ones here in florida just dont have the same glow.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 4 months later...

Its a beauty Rod!  How are your other hyphaenes doing.  As I recall You had 3 species of hyphaene(compressa, thebiaca, petersoniana?).  Any observations on relative cold tolerance or other cultural preferences?  How about your borassus AE and flabelifer?  

Tom Blank

Tom:

Actually I have several more species of Hyphaene:

Hyphaene compressa

Hyphaene dichotoma

Hyphaene thebaica

Hyphaene turbinata

Hyphaene coriacea

Hyphaene natalensis

Hyphaene petersiana  -  fell over one wet winter  -  just bent in half  -  luckily it fell into my yard and not the neighbors!

Hyphaene dankaliensis  -  seeds never germinated

Hyphaene sp. mt regan  -  never found any info on this palm, probably coriacea or thebaica

The hyphaenes love the heat and tolerate the winter.  Any exposure to below 32°F, and they show signs of frost damage. The lowest it has ever gotten here was 22°F in January 2013 - they looked bad, but all came back in the summer.  All the seed that I get will have to be crosses, with the exception of thebaica which I have two of.

As for the Borassus species:

Borassus aethiopum

Borassus madagascariensis (may be a synonym for aethiopum)

Borassus flabellifer  -  too tropical for Arizona, died

Borassus sambiranensis

My B. aethiopum is male and none of the others are large enough to know yet.

The borassus seem to tolerate the cold.

Glad to hear your palms survived the hurricanes this summer!

rod

Here's a photo of me today trimming my compressa with a ladder on my roof to reach the fronds!  It's going to get taller than what I am willing to climb up to!!!!!

IMG_2587.JPG

• Upvote 6

Wow Rod, be careful, that looks scary.  You need an extension ladder.  Those hyphaenes really glow in the desert light!  I miss the way the late day sun sets it all aglow.  Can I ask if your BA has blacked int he petioles with age.  They seem to turn all black here in FL, but I remember yours with some black on the edges where thorns are but lots of green too.  I was thinking that AZ is closer to their natural habitat than FL(humid, wet) and wondering how this effects appearance.

Tom Blank

Tom:

Here's a somewhat closeup of the borassus stem.  Still green, but the teeth are black.  Also shows the male flower.

I've trimmed this palm before and the weight of just one stem/leaf is all I can carry at one time.  Not sure what happens when I decide to stop trimming and allowing them to fall off on their own.  It's a good thing this palm is close to the wall and I can heave it over onto the street.  Would be nearly impossible to maneuver all of that through the yard!

rod

IMG_2619.JPG

• Upvote 6

On 11/5/2016, 6:35:41, Silas_Sancona said:

Great looking H. compressa rod.  Have also heard the same info. regarding extra application of Potassium in the fall for palms, and things like Plumeria, Hibiscus, and other sensitive stuff. While it may take a few more winters to fully confirm just how much frost/ freeze protection the extra K boost may provide, your observations, among others shared here thus far are encouraging. 

Thanks Rod what a beautiful massive palm!  You solved a mystery for me.  In florida the petioles turn mostly black, not at all like yours.  I guess this is a growth of mold on the ones in florida.  I guess some desert trees like hyphaene and borassus AE look betted in the desert..  Are those inflorescences on that borassus?!

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

This is one happy palm!  It has flowered several times this past summer.  Glad it is a male as I can deal with the flowers, but ungerminated female seeds would be harder to deal with.  Now if I could just get a female near by......

rod

on another note, I must have missed the meeting where they introduced "notifications/reputations".  Why am I getting these? These are anonymous?  Purpose?

some new thing I guess, I missed that meeting too.  Seems like if people like what you say they give a +.

Tom Blank

• 1 year later...

O.K. someone mentioned how scary it looked last year, i've taken it to the next level this year!  Not sure how many more years I will be able to trim this!!!  My ladder is leaning against the front porch!

Rod

Phoenix, Arizona

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

Wow, that they are skyward bound, time to stop risking a fall there!  Don't let passion overcome reason!

Tom Blank

I try to take precautions:  securing the ladder to the palm tree, and securing myself to either the palm or the ladder (doesn't show in the foto).

I can't believe how fast this is growing!  Would love it if it were to flower!  My other compressa grows about half as fast - wierd!

Good to hear from you Tom!

rod

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

Here's the latest photo of my Hyphaene Compressa in Phoenix.  Didn't get a chance to climb up and trim it this year.  It's growing about a foot a year!  I read somewhere that it won't flower until it is atleast 30 years old - halfway there!

rod

IMG_2721.thumb.JPG.384d8ebbaa7ac8b0dbce5e94bfdc238d.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Thats awesome!!! I think I like it better with a fuller crown now. That Arizona heat has treated it well. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

2 hours ago, Rod said:

I read somewhere that it won't flower until it is atleast 30 years old - halfway there!

rod

IMG_2721.thumb.JPG.384d8ebbaa7ac8b0dbce5e94bfdc238d.JPG

I think the same happens with B. alfredii.

Very cool palm!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Looking good Rod!  How tall now, 25-30'?  Seems to be almost alone up there.  Is that an acrocomia behind it?

Tom Blank

This palm just loves it here in Phoenix!  The original seed came from Eritrea - talk about hot!

I usually trim the fronds up just for the photo.  Didn't have time.  I got a notice from the city that one of my hyphaenes was planted too closed to the fire hydrant in my yard.  You would have thought that sometime between when I planted it and now 20 years later they would have said something before now.  About 10 years ago there was a fire in the neighborhood, and they used the fire hydrant then.  You would have thought they would have said something then! ! !   So, half of the hyphaene (leaning the opposite direction) is still there and produces seeds yearly.  Too bad, it would have provided shade for the street.  They are always complaining about the 'heat island effect' , and yet they don't have any 'good' shade trees lining the streets.  Go figure.  Here's a neat idea:  plant a row of hyphaenes in an island in the middle of the street.  They would shade both sides of the street.

Acrocomia totai is on the left side of the photo.  There are actually 3 there - can't get it to produce viable seeds.

Great to hear from you Tom!

rod

phx, az

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Any photos of your other hyphaene ? At 22*F did they all completely burn? Probably no chance of any of them surviving in Tucson?

Edited by Meangreen94z

I have several species of Hyphaene.

I have one in the back that branched about 3' off the ground and then branched again after another 3'.  That's one happy Hyphaene.

I'll try to take a foto of it and post it.

They all looked really bad at 22°, but all survived.  Must have protected the spear inside enough.

From what people tell me, Tucson gets a little colder - down to 17-18°?

rod

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah 17-18*F is the low over the past 30 years, although I think it also sees lows annually that might end the life of a hyphaene earlier in its lifespan. Your palms look great, they’ve actually inspired me to go back and research the genus a lot more than I have in the past. I had written them off previously when most said mid 20’s at best.

Edited by Meangreen94z