IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

David Romney...Coconut Authority

Jeff Searle

It is with a very sad heart that I pass the news along that Mr. David Romney has passed away a couple of days ago here in south Florida. I believe he was born in Jamaica where he lived many years and worked with the government in the study of coconuts, lethal yellowing and all the developments of newer varieties over the years. He , his wife Shirley and daughter Carol lived in the Homestead area for at least the last 30-40 years or so. The Romney's were always a big vendor at the Fairchild Botanical Gardens palm sales each and every year where many varieties of coconuts could be found. David was a true legend. Over the years, he wrote numerous papers, journals and books. His daughter Carol, still runs and operates their nursery business down in Homestead. And if that wasn't hard enough for the family, Shirley and David were married 58 years and she just passed away one week ago. I can't imagine the pain, sorrow and loneliness that Carol and her two daughters must be going through. David will truly be missed! RIP, my friend.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is very unfortunate to hear :( I never had the pleasure to meet Dave Romney, but my Panama tall came from him. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Sad to hear that news. I was thinking about him last week when I was showing a Somoan coconut bought from Dave years ago  .R.I.P.

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Romney was Director of Research to the Coconut Industry Board, Jamaica from 1962 to 1979 and he will be remembered with respect, both for his dedication to developing a national Lethal Yellowing disease rehabilitation scheme and for the value, to the coconut community, of the results of the research he initiated.

That is very sad news. Many in the South Florida horticultural scene knew him, and I feel very lucky to have met Dave and his wife Shirley at their beautiful farm in Homestead, and I also had a couple of long and very interesting phone conversations with him. He was a very kind and gentle man and was freely giving of his amazing knowledge, experience and talents. He remains a very important figure in 20th-century coconut cultivation and I believe in tropical agronomy in general. Their daughter Carol is very knowledgeable and really carries the torch. In re Jeff's comment above that he might have been born in Jamaica, I just did some quick research and see that he was born in Eastry (Kent), England, attended university at Reading and Oxford, and sailed for Jamaica in 1952. Though he obviously went almost immediately to what is now Belize and did important work there throughout the '50s, then returned to Jamaica for the '60s-'70s, then to Tanzania and finally Homestead. He and Shirley were obviously an adventurous pair! There is a detailed and very interesting rundown of his many accomplishments on the Romney Farm website. He seems to have packed two or three lifetimes into one. Condolences to Carol and the family.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)