IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Calling Jim from San An - syersj

palmsrgreat

Hey Jim:

Since I pretty much consider you the native weatherman on TX   :D  , what's your outlook on this weekend?  ???

I hear of a front coming in with lots of rain here in Houston. Wasn't liking the sound of it since my folks are coming in from Baton Rouge and we were going to hang by the pool and enjoy Easter. And not to mention I've pulled some palms out of protection and might need to do some shuffling. Is it going to be as bad as this last storm?  :angry:

Thanks,

Michael

Michael, not a good weekend for the pool, looks like some very unseasonably cool weather the weekend.  Average high is nearly 80F, and we won't be anywhere near that for several days.  Looks like low 70s next couple days then some 60s with rainshowers this weekend, with possible lows in the 40s.  Waaay below normal for this time of year, it will probably feel more like feb than apr.  Gonna feel cool compared to all the heat we have had lately.  Oh well, probably last touch of cool weather until November so better enjoy it while it lasts.  By next week we should be back up into the 80s again though.  I haven't heard if they are predicting severe weather with this one, but I will keep my eye out for it.  Palms, I wouldn't worry about that, a few upper 40s for lows won't hurt anything.  Keep you posted if the forecast changes.

Jim, you're the man! Always have the outlook on our TX weather. I thank you for keeping us up to date as I really do keep an eye out for your weather posts.

Yeah, the only ones I was worried about letting see those lows are a coconut that I have and a Veitchia, both in pots.

Thanks again for the update

Regards,

Michael

I wouldn't worry just yet.  A couple nights in the 40s shouldn't be that bad.  I guess we should enjoy this cool snap while it lasts.  I'll keep my eyes open if it gets worse than predicted.

Hang on bros

It may get rather chilly for a few nights  :o

NWS-SAN ANTONIO

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd....rsion=0

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yep, they have severely adjusted their forcasts in the downward direction.  Lows may be in in the low 40s, possibly some upper 30s, with highs struggling to get to 50 this weekend.  Back to 80 next week, but in the mean time we could be 30 to 40 degrees below normal.  Unbeleivably cool/cold for this time of year.  Keep an eye on this one.  If we were this far below normal in Jan it would be an 89 type freeze.  Could it be possible that palms would have to be protected in April???  No, it can't be...

Check out this forecast for Tarpon Springs, FL.

I am assuming this is either a cruel joke or a typo?!?!?!?  

4-6-2007.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Jim, it looks like its gonna be a cold one. Mid 30's predicted for Sat/Sun night. The coco and veitchia are indoors. I'm leaving everything else out to give it some good cold exposure.

Thanks for the update.

Hold on there in FL Larry!

It's no joke.  We're now supposed to get down to around 38F, Houston down to 36F.  I also see that areas of North Florida are expecting a freeze.  Michael if you're out there, bring in that cocos.  This is unbelievable.

(palmsrgreat @ Apr. 06 2007,22:22)

Unless something really odd happens, I think (at least for tonight) the forecast at weather.com will be off.  Its 62F outside now at midnight, so to reach a low of 47F as forecast would represent a very fast drop between now and sunrise.   But, dewpoints are very low here (upper 30's).......

As for 37F tomorrow night......if that happens I think some records will be shattered!

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Apr. 07 2007,00:02)

(palmsrgreat @ Apr. 06 2007,22:22)

Unless something really odd happens, I think (at least for tonight) the forecast at weather.com will be off.  Its 62F outside now at midnight, so to reach a low of 47F as forecast would represent a very fast drop between now and sunrise.   But, dewpoints are very low here (upper 30's).......

As for 37F tomorrow night......if that happens I think some records will be shattered!

BTW - Whenever I say something like this, it invariably ends up happening  :D

Larry 

This is crap.  We haven't had a low below 59 since March 8th and now this blows in.  On April 4th we already got down to 58.  I took my christmas lights down long ago, so there will be no protection whatsoever here.

Besides, I did WAY, WAAAAAY more damage to my palms this year by overprotecting them than the cold we actually got would ever have done.  I pulled spears out of FIVE palms in early January, and they went through several months straight in the 40s and 50s with water where the spear was supposed to be, and now they are all growing back- so they will just have to tolerate 2 more days of cold.  

Larry, 37 would really be surprising for you.  It is crazy that you can have highs consistenly in the mid-eighties and grow the types of palms you do, and have something like "37" happen in APRIL.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(surgeon83 @ Apr. 07 2007,00:17)

Larry, 37 would really be surprising for you.  It is crazy that you can have highs consistenly in the mid-eighties and grow the types of palms you do, and have something like "37" happen in APRIL.

Well...they said 47F for the low this AM and its currently 59F, so something went differently than expected.

Well see about tomorrow AM.....will be interesting :P

Larry 

Well its 50 here right now, just like they said it would be, so I am getting FULLY screwed.  Supposed to see 44 tonight with rain.  I don't think any of my palms will be hurt, especially with warm weather next week, but I'm afraid my fresh banana leaves may get spotted.  Plus its horribly uncomfortable for me, and I am probably going to have to turn the heater on!

Every Easter my church does a Sunrise service at about 7am on the beach rain or shine, warm or cold.  Seems like every year they get screwed with horrible weather.  This year it will be 44 and raining, whereas for the last month every morning has been between 60 and 70.  Go figure.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

I'm recording 46.5 in my backyard right now. Lots of cold wind blowing pretty hard right now. The expected rain today should be the icing on the cake.

Cold and rainy right now with temps hovering in the low 40s, getting down to 36 tonight.  This is really a shock to the system after all the heat we have had.  I walked outside and said forget this and headed back inside.  Turned the heat on for the first time since Feb

WOW, temp has dropped to 40.8 here in my backyard of NW Houston. It is miserable outside, cold misty rain, ugh

Recording 38.7 outside now. Heavy, misty rain. Great for plants, except its getting too damn cold! I actually have a fire going inside my fireplace now

Recording 38.7 outside now. Heavy, misty rain. Great for plants, except its getting too damn cold! I actually have a fire going inside my fireplace now

HOLY S#$T...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

you guys are colder than I am.... It's 39.8 here right now

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

oh my. Thats horrible. We are pretty nice, although a lot of fog and mist. At least its in the 60's. Man, hope you dont wake up next morning and see a coating of snow on the ground, or even ice!

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

No, no ice.  We got down to 35F at my house.  No frost/freeze, but it was way too close for comfort.  Believe it was a record low temp fro the day.  How did everyone else make out.

(syersj @ Apr. 08 2007,21:41)

How did everyone else make out.

Although it was unseasonbly cool, the forecast graphic I posted above (thankfully) did not pan out as I had successive lows of 54F, 49F, and 54F again this AM.

Larry 

38 was the lowest we saw here in NW Houston. Yesterday was also cool, but provided some sun to warm things up just a tad. I'd like another whole day of misty rain and warmer weather. That mist just soaks the ground and my containers perfectly. Its odd we have a nice rain like that. Usually its heavy and violent and tears off the top of the soil without penetrating and runs off.