IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

On 3/15/2016, 12:45:15, Mohsen said:

update : 15-3-2016

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

3rd bifid :)

IMG_5258.JPG

Just came back from 3 weeks holiday and noticed my  Hyophorbe lagenicaulis is dead...

I noticed some fungus or whetev is that white stuff at the lwoer part of the stem ...I used Hydrogen Peroxide but was not effective...

unfortunately the same thing has happened to my most of my Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seedling as well...not sure what caused that cold weather? too much water :( 

IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

It looks like it hung itself to end its misery. :(

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

3 hours ago, gtsteve said:

It looks like it hung itself to end its misery. :(

It does :( the rope was to save her though not to finish it up ;) 

need to know the cause...I have lost quite few seedling the same way this winter... :( 

30 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

It does :( the rope was to save her though not to finish it up ;) 

need to know the cause...I have lost quite few seedling the same way this winter... :( 

I would guess root fungus, Mohsen.  I lost quite a few babies last winter here in the greenhouse...I'm thinking too much watering, and cooler temps.  I'm going to be employing a more systematic anti-fungal strategy moving forward - look into systemic anti-fungals such as Subdue, Banrot, Cleary's.

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Like Ben says, root fungus. Cool temps and too much water.

In my greenhouse in Winter, i have a fan working a few hours per day. I open the greenhouse every days to change air and spray fungicide every months.

And the most important, no water. I water my greenhouse palms one or two times per month.

With this, last Winter i had 0 death palms.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I would guess root fungus, Mohsen.  I lost quite a few babies last winter here in the greenhouse...I'm thinking too much watering, and cooler temps.  I'm going to be employing a more systematic anti-fungal strategy moving forward - look into systemic anti-fungals such as Subdue, Banrot, Cleary's.

50 minutes ago, Monòver said:

Like Ben says, root fungus. Cool temps and too much water.

In my greenhouse in Winter, i have a fan working a few hours per day. I open the greenhouse every days to change air and spray fungicide every months.

And the most important, no water. I water my greenhouse palms one or two times per month.

With this, last Winter i had 0 death palms.

Thanks for the input

i have been watering them every week, that might be the reason ...but I lost mostly only Hyophorbes...they might be more cold sensitive compare the others...

BTW, is Hydrogen Proxide effective on fungus?

Yes it is effective, but when you see rot problems in a seedling, always is too late.

For a preventive strategy i think is better to use an antifungal like Metil tiofanato or clortalonit.

On 19 December 2015 at 2:11:37 AM, Mohsen said:

I got 2 Phoenix roebelenii germinated...I assume they are remote germinators, Pal, do you have any experience with them?

IMG_4121.JPG

Update 9-9-2016

Pal, @Pal Meir this triple is in a very tiny pot (6 cm diameter , 6 cm dept ) , when should I repot them?

image.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Update 9-9-2016

Pal, @Pal Meir this triple is in a very tiny pot (6 cm diameter , 6 cm dept ) , when should I repot them?

I would wait still a couple months when weather is getting hotter. Then I would choose Ø12xH12cm plastic pots. I had kept them quite long in tiny Ø8xH9cm clay pots:

57d40f2eb6d88_Phoenixroebelenii2006-09-1

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

• 2 weeks later...

update on my Sabal s: 20 sept 2016

still only one eophyll , they seem very slow and they look very each other ...

Sabal palmetto:

Palmetto.thumb.JPG.f91608c385baf98cafe88

57e28b53028a0_Sabalpalmetto.thumb.JPG.27

Sabal Minor :

minor.thumb.JPG.0bfdd646eb809ef4ca28fc9d

Sabal serrulata :

57e28b6163e50_Sabalserrulata.thumb.JPG.5

Sabal causiarum:

57e28b363a414_Sabalcausiarum.thumb.JPG.6

Sabal rosei:

57e28b0e04e30_Sabalrosei.thumb.JPG.3b402

minor.JPG

• Upvote 2

after almost 3 month 1 of Nephrosperma van-houtteanum been germinated :

@Pal Meir Pal, which part is radicle?

IMG_8163.thumb.JPG.c5eeb09a7e75f2d1cfb47

IMG_8164.thumb.JPG.d05227b09c06d53098fd9

also one of Areca triandra been germinated after 3 months too :

IMG_8165.thumb.JPG.ff3f5c4c6ee07274f69be

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Actually the currrently valid name for Sabal serrulata is Serenoa repens.

Thanks Konstantinos,

The seeds of Serena Repens are from you :) and they got germinated 100%

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Nephrosperma can grow more than only one radicle.

57e2b75616978_NephrospermaIMG_8164.thumb

Thanks Pal, it's perfect

I believe all Palm references should use your illustrations more often :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2015, 3:30:16, Mohsen said:

thanks Steve for the nice story/fact

It seems germination of Cycads seeds are not as common as Palm seeds among Palm lovers :(

update on my Sabal s: 20 sept 2016

still only one polmeto , they seem very slow and they look very each other ...

On 11/24/2015, 4:20:17, gtsteve said:

Yes. It was a very unfulfilling exercise, mine took about a year to sprout. mind you I don't use accepted best practice, 

I just put them in the ground and forget them, then a year or so later I have forgotten what they were and when I put them in.

Once I thought that a cycad of a few years old, had died so I put a brick path over it and six months later, I had forgotten it, and

it lifted up one of the bricks despite my attempts to flatten it every time I walked over it.

That was a Macrozamia communis which eventually 20 years later became a big spiky nuisance on the edge of my crooked path.  

2 of my lepidozamia peroffskyana seed are germinated after 11 months :)  never had Cycad seeds germinated before..they seem so hairy and different ...

should I keep them in shade now?anyone knows?

IMG_8353.JPG

IMG_8352.JPG

• Upvote 3

Mohsen, you have this in the wrong thread, Cycads are not palms. The mods will probably move it.

It should be in the other section, "Off topic forums, Tropical looking plants other than palms."

If I don't tell you someone else will.

Mine have come up too. I'll get time in a couple of days to post them in the proper place. :P

you will find that they will grow much faster than a palm for a while now, then stall at the first or second leaf.

I would give them full sun at this time of the year, I don't know what others would do. 

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8.5.2016, 02:58:25, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir, I think something wrong here...after months not weeks and still no 2nd-3rd leaf of my Lytocaryum Hybrids not appearing   :(  ...

and generally I think all of my seedlings are not growing to a standard pace...

shat might be wrong ? what can I do ?

IMG_6201.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

No new leaves? :interesting: If the 4th leaf is still undivided and relatively big it might be L insigne or L wed x ins

1 hour ago, Pal Meir said:

No new leaves? :interesting: If the 4th leaf is still undivided and relatively big it might be L insigne or L wed x ins

Pal, I think they don't even have the 3rd leaf yet :(

will double check tomorrow , also I put two of them under sun ( morning) as L,Insigne grow under full sun?

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, I think they don't even have the 3rd leaf yet :(

will double check tomorrow , also I put two of them under sun ( morning) as L,Insigne grow under full sun?

Only if they are already accustomed to direct sun.

• Upvote 1

Ah! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this post with all of Mohsen's questions and photos and all of Pal Meir's answers and photos. Keep it coming, guys! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

4 of Areca triandra  ...I keep them in "box of Sphagnum Moss...so the root is grow downside in correct direction...

Pal, when do you think I should re pot them and what should I use as mix? I think they are tropical so should I use your nano greenhouse ;) 

It seems they are adaptive to low light ...

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Areca_triandra

IMG_8732.JPG

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

4 of Areca triandra  ...I keep them in "box of Sphagnum Moss...so the root is grow downside in correct direction...

Pal, when do you think I should re pot them and what should I use as mix? I think they are tropical so should I use your nano greenhouse ;) 

It seems they are adaptive to low light ...

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Areca_triandra

I would repot them now (or the smaller ones a bit later) in the L weddellianum mix, i.e. 2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis + 1 cm LECA layer on the bottom. You don’t need a nano-greenhouse if you water them adequately and use that well draining soil mix.

58188aab0d561_ArecatriandraMohsen.thumb.

• Upvote 2

On 11/1/2016, 11:30:17, Pal Meir said:

I would repot them now (or the smaller ones a bit later) in the L weddellianum mix, i.e. 2/3 fine pine bark + 1/3 Seramis + 1 cm LECA layer on the bottom. You don’t need a nano-greenhouse if you water them adequately and use that well draining soil mix.

58188aab0d561_ArecatriandraMohsen.thumb.

Hi Pal

Is attached rectangular pot suitable for them? it is 10X10x12?

p2.jpg

p1.jpg

43 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Size and shape may be okay, but the colour ………? :sick:

I might give it to my wife then ;)

• Upvote 1

On 5 November 2016 at 9:12:20 PM, Pal Meir said:

Size and shape may be okay, but the colour ………? :sick:

I pot them up in black pots ( not pink ;) )

use 1/3 Seramis + 2/3 Premium potting mix + 1cm layer of Leca

i keep two in my office and 2 outside in shade 

wish me luck :)

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

I pot them up in black pots ( not pink ;) )

use 1/3 Seramis + 2/3 Premium potting mix + 1cm layer of Leca

i keep two in my office and 2 outside in shade 

wish me luck :)

Looks much better! :D And good luck with your babies! :greenthumb: (How many potted palms do you have now? 1,001?)

PS: Don’t overwater; the pots are quite large and the »Premium potting mix« does not have the same drainage as »fine pine bark«.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Looks much better! :D And good luck with your babies! :greenthumb: (How many potted palms do you have now? 1,001?)

PS: Don’t overwater; the pots are quite large and the »Premium potting mix« does not have the same drainage as »fine pine bark«.

Thanks Pal,

they should be 100+ at least...I am out of room for any extra pots, having said that I have lost few potted palms which left more room for others,,,

I just wish I could find fine pine barks in Australia,,,

Sorry for my present small deviation, but I can not find a another, more suitable, topic to post my own question: I plan to donate some seeds of a distinct Chamaerops for and I wish to make sure whether those seeds are fertile. So had made a cross section to inspect interior and search for a healthy embryo as @Pal Meir has pointed out in the past. Pictures do not reproduce natural colors, the interior is much more closer to creamy transparent than brown. But this lighter stripe, is it actually the embryo?

IMG_20161113_130223.jpg

IMG_20161113_130220.jpg

On 1/16/2016, 2:37:42, Mohsen said:

just received 7 seeds of Brahea armata from eBay ...

all are sinkers so helpfully they are viable...

anyone has any experience germinating them? Pal, have you tried them before? are they remote germinators?

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

after 11 months, 2 out of 7 Brahea armata  been germinated :)

@Pal Meir @Phoenikakias any suggestion for soil type, pot size ?

IMG_8882.JPG

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

after 11 months, 2 out of 7 Brahea armata  been germinated :)

@Pal Meir @Phoenikakias any suggestion for soil type, pot size ?

Brahea is a remote-ligular germinator; as soil for the young plants I would recommend a very fast draining mix like ca. 1/2 Seramis + 1/2 cacti soil.

5830465d51a1c_Braheaarmata1986N12-0133.t

• Upvote 1

I had excellent results with loamy soil, and very poor results with very fertile, soggy soil. In the gound it grows very well in clay soil full of sand and gravel. My present Brahea, when bought, had been a very healthy and vigorous  juvenile, small palm, well anchored in a reddish pot soil. On a former attempt to grow this sp, plant never rooted well in black, fertile soil, which becomes after a while soggy.

Brahea.jpg.6d6873f3f122dce213fec40c4a7fe

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I had excellent results with loamy soil, and very poor results with very fertile, soggy soil. In the gound it grows very well in clay soil full of sand and gravel. My present Brahea, when bought, had been a very healthy and vigorous  juvenile, small palm, well anchored in a reddish pot soil. On a former attempt to grow this sp, plant never rooted well in black, fertile soil, which becomes after a while soggy.

Brahea.jpg.6d6873f3f122dce213fec40c4a7fe

Thanks Konstantinos

What is the normal potting mix?fertile soil?

where can I buy Loamy soil?

I fear you can not buy it, but rather make your own. It is actually soil for lawn combined with organics from dried grass. The mower chops down any naturally sprouted seedlings and they regrow from nothing above ground. This soil therefore must be very good for them.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Brahea is a remote-ligular germinator; as soil for the young plants I would recommend a very fast draining mix like ca. 1/2 Seramis + 1/2 cacti soil.

5830465d51a1c_Braheaarmata1986N12-0133.t

Pal, do you have any "After" pictures for those Brahea Armata?

4 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

I fear you can not buy it, but rather make your own. It is actually soil for lawn combined with organics from dried grass. The mower chops down any naturally sprouted seedlings and they regrow from nothing above ground. This soil therefore must be very good for them.

14449778_1689966397997162_2536989191126614479562_1689966327997169_5045738288096814484930_1689966251330510_64188476287569

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, do you have any "After" pictures for those Brahea Armata?

The seedling was half a year old in Dec 1986; it was potted only in cacti soil. Later I potted it into ca. 3/4 Seramis; BTW Seramis is burnt loam. — I tried to keep that palm by root pruning as long as possible as a small bonsai:

5831e3b245318_Brahea2007-12-23.thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2