IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

On 2/14/2016, 12:52:30, Paul_T said:

Hi All,

This is my first post. I got into Palms a couple of months ago. Had some good success germinating Trachycarpus F, Butia O, Washingtonia R and Brahea A. 

I am just trying my luck at Jubaea C. These were the first two to germinate via the baggy method. 

The one on the right did not look so great and did not appear to have any root. After potting them both up though that one is growing the fastest. Hope a root does grow. 

Paul. 

Welcome Paul

I have heard Jubaea seeds are hard to germinate ...congrats...never done it myself but I have a little baby one...

Thanks for the replies. I have definitely caught the palm tree bug and having fun germinating seeds and trying different methods. 

• Upvote 2

3 of my Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds been germinated :)

@Pal Meir Pal, which portion should I use as media 1/3 pine bark+ 1/3 potting soil + 1/3 Seramis? or different?

should I keep them indoor?

IMG_5070.JPG

On 2/12/2016, 4:30:30, Mohsen said:

update : 12-2-2016

FullSizeRender(21).jpg

update 18-2-2016

I can see the 2nd leaf...Pal, it seems the first one is not a pinnate?

IMG_5072.JPG

On 12/2/2015, 8:30:48, Pal Meir said:

Yes, Caryotas have remote germination, but I think the seed petiole won’t grow so long. (It isn’t a Bismarckia.)

And here another photo for your family album; :greenthumb: Adonidias can grow more than one radicle.

565f1bd8e2768_Adonidia2015-12-03IMG_3900

update : 20-2-2016

IMG_5134.JPG

It looks like you guys just place the seed on top of the soil? I may have made a mistake...

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

19 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

It looks like you guys just place the seed on top of the soil? I may have made a mistake...

yes, learned it from the experienced here...I am usually get them germinated in bag and then put them in pot though ...

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii seeds been germinated :)

@Pal Meir Pal, which portion should I use as media 1/3 pine bark+ 1/3 potting soil + 1/3 Seramis? or different?

should I keep them indoor?

IMG_5156.JPG

• Upvote 1

one of Trithrinax acanthocoma is germinated now ...I just used the simple bag method...I put the rest in fridge and now put the in the same bag...it took 7 weeks...

Thanks you Konstantinos :) , @Phoenikakias,  is this remote germinatior? any special care or special soil I need to have for it?should I pot it up now ?

IMG_5157.JPG

• Upvote 1

A quick pic of everything I have germinated indoors in my man lair.

DE1A2348-A40D-4307-8148-E16890F087B4_zps

A mixture of Trachy F, Butia O, Brahea A, Jubaea C and Washy R. 

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Mohsen said:

one of Trithrinax acanthocoma is germinated now ...I just used the simple bag method...I put the rest in fridge and now put the in the same bag...it took 7 weeks...

Thanks you Konstantinos :) , @Phoenikakias,  is this remote germinatior? any special care or special soil I need to have for it?should I pot it up now ?

IMG_5157.JPG

Looking at an old picture of germinated seeds from my specimen, I am inclined to say that it is a remote germinator.

DSC01665.thumb.JPG.924bffc180cbd78ef6eec

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2015, 12:45:39, Mohsen said:

Ch. Radicalis seeds showing some activity :) thanks to Dave for sending me seeds, @Pal Meir are they remote germinators?

image.jpg

update : 25-2-2016

IMG_5195.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/17/2016, 6:18:28, Mohsen said:

update 18-2-2016

I can see the 2nd leaf...Pal, it seems the first one is not a pinnate?

IMG_5072.JPG

upgrade : 27-2-2016 : It seems withing my germinated ones, this grows faster :)

IMG_5206.JPG

Hmmm, typically it looks like this (e.g. Rh. augusta): :indifferent:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/clubpalmstree2004ss/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.c.yimg.jp%2Fres%2Fblog-93-b0%2Fclubpalmstree2004ss%2Ffolder%2F371022%2F43%2F21697843%2Fimg_2%3F1191319005

»発芽していきなり かわいい かっこいい 羽状葉が!« "After germinating a cute nice pinnate leaf!"

So also in Genera Palmarum for Rh. ceramica: »eophyll finely pinnate«

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Dear Mohsen

This is a great and useful thread on seed germination, And if you need any more information on palm seeds germination

visit the following site.And there you click on the seeds to view how others have tried germinating that particular seed.

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/small.shtml

Here is a example for Bismarkia seeds..

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/pix/BisNob.shtml

Wish you all the best,

love,

kris,

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

On 2/27/2016, 5:47:00, Pal Meir said:

Hmmm, typically it looks like this (e.g. Rh. augusta): :indifferent:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/clubpalmstree2004ss/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.c.yimg.jp%2Fres%2Fblog-93-b0%2Fclubpalmstree2004ss%2Ffolder%2F371022%2F43%2F21697843%2Fimg_2%3F1191319005

»発芽していきなり かわいい かっこいい 羽状葉が!« "After germinating a cute nice pinnate leaf!"

So also in Genera Palmarum for Rh. ceramica: »eophyll finely pinnate«

Pal, could it be something else? leaves are  not completely green bout from the border  is red!

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, could it be something else? leaves are  not completely green bout from the border  is red!

I too guess that it is not a Rhopaloblaste. It looks more like a Dictyosperma or so. The reddish margins may be distinctive. You should post this photo on a new thread “Seedling ID please”, I would propose. What is the size of the seed? Ca. 8x16mm?

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 2/28/2016, 6:33:51, Pal Meir said:

I too guess that it is not a Rhopaloblaste. It looks more like a Dictyosperma or so. The reddish margins may be distinctive. You should post this photo on a new thread “Seedling ID please”, I would propose. What is the size of the seed? Ca. 8x16mm?

the size of seed is almost 19X11 mm, will create a new post for it ...

On 2/28/2016, 6:33:51, Pal Meir said:

Pal, thanks to @Kennybenjamin...the mystery solved...it is Bottle Palms ( Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) :) 

I just had my first Jubaeopsis Caffra seed germinate two days ago.

• Upvote 3

On 2/11/2016, 5:01:30, Mohsen said:

update : 11-2-2016

Pal, how long should I wait till see the green shoot ? hope note near winter here

IMG_5045.JPG

update 9-3-2016

Finally the leaf has pushed the shell :) ...Pal @Pal Meir, should I keep it in full sun even from now? when should I bring it inside?

IMG_5240.JPG

I just noticed today that the first leaf or plumule of my Caryota seed is completely white !!!what could have caused that?lack of light?

IMG_5241.JPG

IMG_5242.JPG

On 3/8/2016, 7:01:34, Pal Meir said:

Full sun with lots of warm water, but the soil must not become soggy and the water has always to be fresh. When the temps drop down to 17°C or so, I would place it inside.

Thanks Pal,

How about inside, should it be in direct sun or a bright room near window is enough?

after 20 days, 100% germination rate for Sabal minor. Thanks to Lucas- @redbeard917 ...It seems they are remote germinators,  how easy they can be grown as seedlings?

IMG_5223.JPG

• Upvote 4

On 3/10/2016, 3:43:17, redbeard917 said:

Great job!

Thanks Lucas :)

How easy they are as seedling?

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Lucas :)

How easy they are as seedling?

Very! They volunteer readily in beds. I've only grown them from seeds once, but they are actually drought tolerant, especially for a plant that usually grows in wet areas.

• Upvote 1

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

On 2/27/2016, 4:43:08, Mohsen said:

upgrade : 27-2-2016 : It seems withing my germinated ones, this grows faster :)

IMG_5206.JPG

update : 15-3-2016

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

3rd bifid :)

IMG_5258.JPG

also I think my other Hyophorbe lagenicaulis seed starts germinating...I labeled this Cermaica one but this must be wrong like the first one

IMG_5257.JPG