IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

3 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

This is what I am trying to say. It was a genuine or hybrid roebeleni seedling just gotten out of the community pot. Is this possible by the use of baked (either hard or soft) clay?

Here a photo of my community pot for 10 Syagrus insignis seeds, only filled with Kokohum® (http://www.neudorff.de/produkte/kokohum-blumenerde.html), without any Seramis® (1st photo). After germination I potted them as small seedlings in my 1/2 Seramis® + 1/2 pine bark (2-8mm) + LECA (bottom) mix (2nd photo).

56a37ea111bb2_SyagrusinsignisN1400IMG_75

56a3804bb9159_SyagrusinsignisN14012015-0

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On Fri Jan 15 2016 03:40:08 GMT+0530 (Sri Lanka Standard, Kai said:

Syagrus romanzoffiana

20160202_175219.jpg

Edited by User00
  • Upvote 1

After only 3 weeks n the bag, I noticed one of the Bizzi been germnaated with a long radicle...need to find a very long container which is not easy :(

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2016, 2:55:50, foxtail said:

Use a plumber plastic tube.

I used this long pot...hopefully it is long enough ...

IMG_4985.JPG

Pal, it seems I am having 100% germination rate for seeds I got from New Caledonia as my Coco shows some action...

is it usual that the radicle is green? is it possible that it is Plumule in a opposite direction ( downward) ?

IMG_4986.JPG

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, it seems I am having 100% germination rate for seeds I got from New Caledonia as my Coco shows some action...

is it usual that the radicle is green? is it possible that it is Plumule in a opposite direction ( downward) ?

It looks like a lateral root of the radicle. The plumule will be much thicker. So don’t change the direction of the nut, leave it in the same position as up to now. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2015, 7:41:52, Mohsen said:

Pal, it seems another success of germination of totally green ( un-ripe) seeds- Hedyscepe canterburyana after 12 days one of them seems pushing a radicle ? is this adjacent germinator or remote ? ( I have some from 3 month ago and still no sign of germination, the only difference was I didn't remove the flesh completely )

IMG_4159.JPG

Pal, unfortunately this one died from mold :(

I have another one and I am not sure what to do to prevent that ?

I think the reason is that it dose not  have shell and the flesh is exposed ?

IMG_4980.JPG

6 hours ago, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir did you see my last post about Hedyscepe seed?

Mould is a general problem, especially in case of the baggy method. That’s the reason why many palm growers are using perlite or similar mineral substrates for germination. I would rinse the seeds once more with warm water and put them at a brighter place. Maybe you should replace your germination soil mix with a new fresh one.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Mould is a general problem, especially in case of the baggy method. That’s the reason why many palm growers are using perlite or similar mineral substrates for germination. I would rinse the seeds once more with warm water and put them at a brighter place. Maybe you should replace your germination soil mix with a new fresh one.

Thanks Pal

i amusing only sphagnum peat moss in bag and then when I see any sign of germination I put them with right direction into a box with again sphagnum peat moss so the radicle would grow in a right direction, should I change my method or media?

11 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

i amusing only sphagnum peat moss in bag and then when I see any sign of germination I put them with right direction into a box with again sphagnum peat moss so the radicle would grow in a right direction, should I change my method or media?

I think method and medium is okay. However, you have to control the bags and boxes if they have a mouldy smell. If so, you can rinse the seeds and sphagnum with lots of water and use the moss (after wringing out the water) again.

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2016, 8:04:30, Pal Meir said:

And here the version for your palm family album: :D

5693d23b32c26_RhopaloblasteIMG_4310.thum

update : 8-2-2015

Pal, is that 2nd Plumule or eophyll?

IMG_5010.JPG

On 1/25/2016, 8:10:12, Mohsen said:

another unlabeled one been germinated :any guess the type ?

IMG_4524.JPG

another 3 of this unknown been germinated :)

IMG_5043.JPG

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Sabal serrulata = after 5 weeks one seed shows activity  ( Thanks to Konstantinos) , is this adjacent ?

FullSizeRender(19).jpg

Wow bro' in some years you are going to have a big garden, congratulations!!!!

Rio_Grande.gif

11 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Sabal serrulata = after 5 weeks one seed shows activity  ( Thanks to Konstantinos) , is this adjacent ?

Serenoa repens has remote germination, but the seed petiole doesn’t go so deep, as you can see on your photo.

12 hours ago, Mohsen said:

update : 10-2-2016

And here the R. ceramica update; the eophyll will grow to a nice fully pinnate leaf:

56bbd83cbca39_Rhopaloblasteceramica2016-

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2016, 11:10:20, Mohsen said:

IMG_4986.JPG

update : 11-2-2016

Pal, how long should I wait till see the green shoot ? hope note near winter here

IMG_5045.JPG

On 2/10/2016, 4:40:52, Pal Meir said:

Serenoa repens has remote germination, but the seed petiole doesn’t go so deep, as you can see on your photo.

And here the R. ceramica update; the eophyll will grow to a nice fully pinnate leaf:

56bbd83cbca39_Rhopaloblasteceramica2016-

update : 12-2-2016

FullSizeRender(21).jpg

On 1/9/2016, 8:04:46, Mohsen said:

Pal,I just noticed this Lytocaryum Hybrid seed has two radicles? do I have  twins here ?

FullSizeRender(12).jpg

update : 13-2-2016

IMG_5052.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2016, 8:55:33, Pal Meir said:

The tip of the left one of the twins looks a bit brownish … :(

Pal, it was all my previous media I guess, ( use sand) , it was very heavy and also look very wet :( , I move it to new media and I hope it helps it ...

Hi All,

This is my first post. I got into Palms a couple of months ago. Had some good success germinating Trachycarpus F, Butia O, Washingtonia R and Brahea A. 

I am just trying my luck at Jubaea C. These were the first two to germinate via the baggy method. 

E47B13AD-44CB-4686-BEBA-D96E8625F307_zps

The one on the right did not look so great and did not appear to have any root. After potting them both up though that one is growing the fastest. Hope a root does grow. 

Paul. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Paul_T said:

Hi All,

This is my first post. I got into Palms a couple of months ago. Had some good success germinating Trachycarpus F, Butia O, Washingtonia R and Brahea A. 

I am just trying my luck at Jubaea C. These were the first two to germinate via the baggy method. 

E47B13AD-44CB-4686-BEBA-D96E8625F307_zps

The one on the right did not look so great and did not appear to have any root. After potting them both up though that one is growing the fastest. Hope a root does grow. 

Paul. 

Welcome on Palmtalk Paul,

And thank you for posting such good pictures. looking forward too seeing your next posts.

Philippe

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka