IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

On 12/11/2015, 7:49:27, Pal Meir said:

If it is not broken (?) the 2nd is okay, too. Maybe it won’t grow straight at first.

No Pal, it is nor broken, will give them all a try :)

On 12/11/2015, 5:02:11, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir one of my Wodyetia bifurcata seed germinated after 3 month :

Pal, is this radicle or plumule, should i put it in pot now? if yes, should I put this into soil or out of soil (if this is plumule)?

IMG_4056.JPG

thanks Pal, also my Wodyetia grows and now it seems it should be radicle...I potted it up today ...

IMG_4098.JPG

On 12/16/2015, 5:21:49, Pal Meir said:

They have adjacent germination. Are they Chamaedorea seeds, or …?

5671653aca209_SeedsIMG_4101.thumb.jpg.cd

Thanks Pal, I just found that I labeled them as Kiba Palm? do we have such a palm?

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Kiba Palm ???? :wacko: Never heard. :huh: But the seeds could come from Dypsis decaryi:indifferent:

Definitely  not from Dypsis decaryi...never took any from Dypsis decaryi...I have look to my labels again...

2 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Definitely  not from Dypsis decaryi...never took any from Dypsis decaryi...I have look to my labels again...

Where did you pick the seeds? In Sydney RBG? In New Cal? Or …? And what is the size? Ca. 10x15 mm?

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

5 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Where did you pick the seeds? In Sydney RBG? In New Cal? Or …? And what is the size? Ca. 10x15 mm?

RBG , should be smaller from the picture with scale , maybe 10x8 mm

I got 2 Phoenix roebelenii germinated...I assume they are remote germinators, Pal, do you have any experience with them?

IMG_4121.JPG

8 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

I got 2 Phoenix roebelenii germinated...I assume they are remote germinators, Pal, do you have any experience with them?

Yes, all Phoenix palms are remote germinators, but the cotyl. sheath of Ph. roebelenii doesn’t go so deep as of the other Phoenix palms; attached a photo of a seedling in an 8x9cm clay pot (at first this species grows very slowly, but when the stem has its mature diameter it will grow quite fast):

5674244d21117_Phoenixroebelenii2006-09-1

11 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

after exactly 2 month two seeds of Hybrid Lytocaryum show germination :) 

56507ce6a2466_Lytocaryum123TrunksMohsen.thumb.jpg.073608fefb915525d92da2763a68e4ea.jpg

IMG_4119.JPG

If that palm should be actually a hybrid L weddell x insigne it would be very interesting (esp. also for @Kai) to observe and document the growth of those seedlings as the size and shape of the first leaves.

• Upvote 1

@Pal Meir, @Kai

I have quite a few of these seeds so we will see at least some of them growing :)  ...I will assume that they are "L.S" in regards to the media...it would be great if I could source some Seramis...not quite sure about my formula...specially that I have over dozen L.S seeds as well...

8 hours ago, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir, @Kai

I have quite a few of these seeds so we will see at least some of them growing :)  ...I will assume that they are "L.S" in regards to the media...it would be great if I could source some Seramis...not quite sure about my formula...specially that I have over dozen L.S seeds as well...

What about the seed(ling)s from palm #1, the supposed (pure) Lyto insigne with the thick trunk (ca. 10 cm)? As it stood isolated from the other Lytos also the seeds may be pure L insigne. — In case of the palm #2 (the supposed mix between L wedd x L insigne) the pollen for the seeds may come from another L wedd, so that the new seedlings could be (L wedd x insigne) x L wedd hybrids. But all this is only speculation … :blink:

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

What about the seed(ling)s from palm #1, the supposed (pure) Lyto insigne with the thick trunk (ca. 10 cm)? As it stood isolated from the other Lytos also the seeds may be pure L insigne. — In case of the palm #2 (the supposed mix between L wedd x L insigne) the pollen for the seeds may come from another L wedd, so that the new seedlings could be (L wedd x insigne) x L wedd hybrids. But all this is only speculation … :blink:

only one of the green ( seemed non ripe) germinated ...I got some others but not germinated yet as again it was not as ripe as those from  the #2 ...

see the first Plumule ...I am not sure how long will it take before I see the first leaf...:yay:

IMG_4124.JPG

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

only one of the green ( seemed non ripe) germinated ...I got some others but not germinated yet as again it was not as ripe as those from  the #2 ...

see the first Plumule ...I am not sure how long will it take before I see the first leaf...:yay:

Looks very good! :greenthumb::) — Here the progress of my L insigne N°1401: Germination 02-14, 1. plumule 03-09, 2. plumule 03-26, eophyll 04-27. That means first leaf 49 days after 1. plumule … :interesting:

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pal

Time table for me so far :

Start October 5, 2015

first sign of germination November 16, 2015

first Plumule  December 14, 2015

so I should have the 1st leaf around 3rd Feb 2016

40 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

Time table for me so far :

Start October 5, 2015

first sign of germination November 16, 2015

first Plumule  December 14, 2015

so I should have the 1st leaf around 3rd Feb 2016

Here the statistics based on the data of 10 Lyto insigne in 2014:

56757455c301f_Lytoinsigne2014Progress.th

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2015, 6:23:01, Pal Meir said:

I think they look like ripe seeds; just try it! :greenthumb: In case of your Lytocaryum (insigne?) the fruit were not ripe, too, but the seed germinated.

Pal, it seems another success of germination of totally green ( un-ripe) seeds- Hedyscepe canterburyana after 12 days one of them seems pushing a radicle ? is this adjacent germinator or remote ? ( I have some from 3 month ago and still no sign of germination, the only difference was I didn't remove the flesh completely )

IMG_4159.JPG

12 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, it seems another success of germination of totally green ( un-ripe) seeds- Hedyscepe canterburyana after 12 days one of them seems pushing a radicle ? is this adjacent germinator or remote ? ( I have some from 3 month ago and still no sign of germination, the only difference was I didn't remove the flesh completely )

It has adjacent germination, very similar to Rhopalostylis.

22 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, 3 of my Laccospadix australasica  seeds germinated ...

They seems to be adjacent types? , do you have any experiences with them?

:greenthumb: Yes, adjacent-ligular, no own experiences … "The young plants prefer rich loamy soil in shady sites, …"

• Upvote 1

Pal, how about these chamaedorea arenbergiana seeds, do you have any experiences with them? they should be the same as other chamaedorea ? adjacent germinators?

IMG_4183.JPG