IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My germination projects

Mohsen

On 11/23/2015, 9:20:17, gtsteve said:

Yes. It was a very unfulfilling exercise, mine took about a year to sprout. mind you I don't use accepted best practice, 

I just put them in the ground and forget them, then a year or so later I have forgotten what they were and when I put them in.

Once I thought that a cycad of a few years old, had died so I put a brick path over it and six months later, I had forgotten it, and

it lifted up one of the bricks despite my attempts to flatten it every time I walked over it.

That was a Macrozamia communis which eventually 20 years later became a big spiky nuisance on the edge of my crooked path.  

thanks Steve for the nice story/fact

It seems germination of Cycads seeds are not as common as Palm seeds among Palm lovers :(

Pal,

The development of the small seeds I got from New Caledonia ( Either Kentiopsis or Archontophoenix?) is interesting :

is that narrow part the radicle ?

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

17 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal,

The development of the small seeds I got from New Caledonia ( Either Kentiopsis or Archontophoenix?) is interesting :

is that narrow part the radicle ?

The shape of the seeds is like Archontophoenix (not Kentiopsis),  and if Archontophoenix the habit of the tree looks to me like A. tuckeri (?). The radicle of Archontophoenix and related genera as Ptychosperma is relatively thin, and they can have more than one. Here is an informative website showing several seeds after germination:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.ison2/page9.html

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

21 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

The shape of the seeds is like Archontophoenix (not Kentiopsis),  and if Archontophoenix the habit of the tree looks to me like A. tuckeri (?). The radicle of Archontophoenix and related genera as Ptychosperma is relatively thin, and they can have more than one. Here is an informative website showing several seeds after germination:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.ison2/page9.html

Thanks Pal

If they are tuckeri , it is interesting as I also revived some from Dave but still no sign of germination but theses from New Caledonia took less than 10 days ,,,

Edited by Mohsen

38 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

If they are tuckeri , it is interesting as I also revived some from Dave but still no sign of germination but theses from New Caledonia took less than 10 days ,,,

Could you post a photo with both seeds together, from NC and from Dave? So it would be easier to decide if they are really A. tuckeri. I can only say that the seeds look like Archontophoenix and the habit of the tree (now being an Archontophoenix) looks to me most like A. tuckeri (but it could be also another A. species).

• Upvote 1

Pal, I got two seeds of Cyphophoenix nucele...do you have any experience to germinate them? are they easy ? remote or adjacent ?

IMG_3892.JPG

15 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, I got two seeds of Cyphophoenix nucele...do you have any experience to germinate them? are they easy ? remote or adjacent ?

No experience. Germination adjacent, if seeds fresh quite fast. Eophyll bifid.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2015, 7:30:28, Pal Meir said:

And for your Germination Family Album: :D

565b19c2cb310_Chamaedoreaoblongata2015-1

That's awesome Pal,,,I am glad that picture had a good quality ...

By the way do you recommend I plant them in community pots or one seed in one pot? any consideration I need to take for the soil and the size of the pots ...I have more than 20 seeds...

9 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

By the way do you recommend I plant them in community pots or one seed in one pot? any consideration I need to take for the soil and the size of the pots ...I have more than 20 seeds...

As Chamaedorea oblongata is a non-suckering solitary species you may plant two or three seedlings together in one pot, but I would not recommend a community pot.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

As Chamaedorea oblongata is a non-suckering solitary species you may plant two or three seedlings together in one pot, but I would not recommend a community pot.

Thanks Pal

any particular consideration for the potting soil?

On 11/19/2015, 3:48:20, Pal Meir said:

Yes, it is the seed petiole, but as Adonidia has adjacent germination the petiole is very short or almost invisible. I would put it again into peat moss (in the direction as shown on the pic) and wait with potting until the cotyl. sheath or the radicle become longer.

564db5b90bff3_AdonidiamerrilliiIMG_3792.

Pal, new development of Adonidia Merrillii Seed

IMG_3900.JPG

Caryota seed after 3 weeks...it seems a nice white hat ...is this remote germination ?

FullSizeRender(8).jpg

Edited by Mohsen

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Caryota seed after 3 weeks...it seems a nice white hat ...is this remote germination ?

Yes, Caryotas have remote germination, but I think the seed petiole won’t grow so long. (It isn’t a Bismarckia.)

And here another photo for your family album; :greenthumb: Adonidias can grow more than one radicle.

565f1bd8e2768_Adonidia2015-12-03IMG_3900

On 1/12/2015, 3:33:58, Pal Meir said:

I grew 15 (or slightly more) oblongata seedlings in a community pot. Then I divided rot ball in to two parts with a saw and now I grow in two (sub) community pots 7 and 8 plants respectively. After the division some plants even produced the first pinnate leaf...

49 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

I grew 15 (or slightly more) oblongata seedlings in a community pot. Then I divided rot ball in to two parts with a saw and now I grow in two (sub) community pots 7 and 8 plants respectively. After the division some plants even produced the first pinnate leaf...

Yes, I think it is only a matter of taste (if they were suckering palms also of space). – Could you place a pic of your communities?

On 2/12/2015, 7:42:21, Pal Meir said:

Yes, I think it is only a matter of taste (if they were suckering palms also of space). – Could you place a pic of your communities?

Photo0415.thumb.jpg.0db480dc524a88e20934Photo0424.thumb.jpg.f5dc2e1d9c70e2cf8aacPhoto0420.thumb.jpg.ab6c8ebe096c27923e1fPhoto0421.thumb.jpg.03b84b0b04d7f62cd9d2

On 11/10/2015, 15:14:16, Mohsen said:

konstantinos   the growth  of   chamaedorea oblongata it's fast   ! you remember how many years have your chamaedorea oblongata?

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

the largest chamaedorea oblongata have six years, have flourished and produced the seeds this year for the first time :)

• Upvote 2

GIUSEPPE

18 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Two years...

Your Ch. oblongata are very nice, and as long as they are still small it seems that many stems can grow together and look happy. :greenthumb: But I am afraid when they grow taller it could become a bit too tight … :huh:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Your Ch. oblongata are very nice, and as long as they are still small it seems that many stems can grow together and look happy. :greenthumb: But I am afraid when they grow taller it could become a bit too tight … :huh:

You are absolutely right, but I intend to outplant them all, as soon as they attain a suitable size (and root system) to this purpose:winkie:

Pal, I removed the flesh from the green ( might not be ripe) seeds of Hedyscepe canterburyana today and inside I got these , is there any chance for germination of these ?

image.jpg

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Pal, I removed the flesh from the green ( might not be ripe) seeds of Hedyscepe canterburyana today and inside I got these , is there any chance for germination of these ?

image.jpg

@Pal Meir

3 hours ago, Mohsen said:

image.jpg

I think they look like ripe seeds; just try it! :greenthumb: In case of your Lytocaryum (insigne?) the fruit were not ripe, too, but the seed germinated.

On 12/2/2015, 8:30:48, Pal Meir said:

Yes, Caryotas have remote germination, but I think the seed petiole won’t grow so long. (It isn’t a Bismarckia.)

And here another photo for your family album; :greenthumb: Adonidias can grow more than one radicle.

565f1bd8e2768_Adonidia2015-12-03IMG_3900

@Pal Meir

update to Adonidia seed : I put it in a pot now

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

• Upvote 1

@Pal Meir one of my Wodyetia bifurcata seed germinated after 3 month :

Pal, is this radicle or plumule, should i put it in pot now? if yes, should I put this into soil or out of soil (if this is plumule)?

IMG_4056.JPG

27 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir one of my Wodyetia bifurcata seed germinated after 3 month :

Pal, is this radicle or plumule, should i put it in pot now? if yes, should I put this into soil or out of soil (if this is plumule)?

Wodyetia and Adonidia are related to each other, so I think this is the (thinner) radicle like on your Adonidia seedling. With potting you may wait or pot it now, as you have done with Adonidia.

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Wodyetia and Adonidia are related to each other, so I think this is the (thinner) radicle like on your Adonidia seedling. With potting you may wait or pot it now, as you have done with Adonidia.

I saw some Wodyetia seeds that the Plumute ( or green shoot) is come out of the seed and root out of down of it ( something like coconut) so I am not sure which direction I should put this ( should I put the inside the soil or out ) ?maybe its better to wait a bit longer before potting it up?

8700679517_f764318ab8_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

I saw some Wodyetia seeds that the Plumute ( or green shoot) is come out of the seed and root out of down of it ( something like coconut) so I am not sure which direction I should put this ( should I put the inside the soil or out ) ?maybe its better to wait a bit longer before potting it up?

I guess that the shoot is the radicle and not the cotyledonary sheath, because it is so thin and the tip looks like the tip of the Adonidia’s radicle. But perhaps you may wait still a bit longer till you can see also the cotyl. sheath coming out …

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2015, 3:53:55, Pal Meir said:

Sorry for my confusing formulation with a double negation ("avoid … not") … :( I will try to use shorter, not complicated and nested sentences and avoid combinations of implicit with explicit negations. :blush:

@Pal Meir and @gtsteve

I think these Chamaedorea oblongata seeds should explain what Pal is suggesting? the 2nd from top is not good I guess?

IMG_4061.JPG

15 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

@Pal Meir and @gtsteve

I think these Chamaedorea oblongata seeds should explain what Pal is suggesting? the 2nd from top is not good I guess?

If it is not broken (?) the 2nd is okay, too. Maybe it won’t grow straight at first.

• Upvote 1