Darrin's Garden

Dypsis Onilahensis Seed Germination

Darrin's Garden

Anyone know when the Dypsis Onilahensis seed is viable to germinate? My seed is green now, do I need to wait until it turns red? Also, what is the best method to germinate them? Thanks!

Kennybenjamin

If it's the weeping form it won't turn red, they stay a green colour. Once a few fall to the ground and the seed can easily be extracted from the fruit (by squeezing it in your fingers) they are ready to germinate. There are many different germination methods.

Darrin's Garden

Thank you I appreciate it!

quaman58

The upright form I have turns orange. I think the a lot of these Dypsis germinate a better with bottom heat, I collected some seed of a really nice onilihensis in early May in Hawaii & even with the warm summer temps they were the last seeds to pop for me. So figure up to 3-4 months in ideal settings. 

Josh-O

Bret Nailed it!

Darrin's Garden

Thanks guys for the info. Last time it flowered I cut a lower branch off and broke the flower!

Also, my Lanceolata  is flowering too and it was originally sold as a Pembana. But the ruffled leaves look much more like a Lanceolata. I can't find any pics of Lanceolata vs. Pembana seed. Do the seeds look the same between the two? Would that solve the mystery? Josh you told me too that it was probably a Lanceolata! 

Josh-O

Darrin, When you get a chance post a picture. They are real easy to tell apart when they are big but can be hard to tell when they are seedlings/1 gal palnts

Darrin's Garden

Hi Josh here is a photo of my Lanceolata 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Josh-O

Looks awesome!!!

DoomsDave

Pant pant pant

(Hiking up . . . )

I've found most Dypsis take a while to sprout, a good couple of months, though some can take longer.