Jump to content
Mohsen

MY OWN PALMS...

Recommended Posts

Mohsen
2 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

I think Thornleigh would be better than here for Marojejya providing that you don't get too frosty. If you get regular frost it would be a waste of time. I aim to grow all these tropical marginal things in the glasshouse until they outgrow the largest manageable pot or space in the glasshouse before I put them out in the garden. I am interested to see how it works. If it doesn't they will at least have looked good for years in the glasshouse. 

Good idea with the glasshouse ...I wish I could have one ...

Do you have any coconut there?i keep one in our bedroom , so far so good :) 

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

I would love to grow a coconut. Probably the most useful plant in the world-there's not many things that it cant do. However, I do have a streak of reality in me. I don't think that anything I possibly do is going to make a coconut grow here outside and it will soon end up outgrowing the glasshouse so eventually I am going to kill it if I get a coconut. Plants like this I just don't bother with. Things like Marojejya I genuinely believe are worth trying and may work if I play all my cards right and am patient. I have a few other gambles that I am doing the same way. Recently had a whole heap of Carpoxylon macrospermum germinate that I will trial outside once I get them 6-8 foot tall. 

Strongly recommend a glasshouse but if you do get one you have to do it right and make it large otherwise its not worth it (cools and heats too quickly and not enough room). My glasshouse was a garage that I just pulled the metal off and replaced with polycarbonate twinwall. If you have a garage you can potentially have a glasshouse. You just have to get your priorities right. What is more important protecting a car or palms? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Failing that how about a renovation to the home-get rid of some floor boards put in some glass and a skylight-you already have the heating from your home-hey presto a glasshouse! Well maybe that is simplifying things a bit but food for thought. Guess it depends on how much you want it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
1 hour ago, Sir Oxylon said:

I would love to grow a coconut. Probably the most useful plant in the world-there's not many things that it cant do. However, I do have a streak of reality in me. I don't think that anything I possibly do is going to make a coconut grow here outside and it will soon end up outgrowing the glasshouse so eventually I am going to kill it if I get a coconut. Plants like this I just don't bother with. Things like Marojejya I genuinely believe are worth trying and may work if I play all my cards right and am patient. I have a few other gambles that I am doing the same way. Recently had a whole heap of Carpoxylon macrospermum germinate that I will trial outside once I get them 6-8 foot tall. 

Strongly recommend a glasshouse but if you do get one you have to do it right and make it large otherwise its not worth it (cools and heats too quickly and not enough room). My glasshouse was a garage that I just pulled the metal off and replaced with polycarbonate twinwall. If you have a garage you can potentially have a glasshouse. You just have to get your priorities right. What is more important protecting a car or palms? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Failing that how about a renovation to the home-get rid of some floor boards put in some glass and a skylight-you already have the heating from your home-hey presto a glasshouse! Well maybe that is simplifying things a bit but food for thought. Guess it depends on how much you want it.

No Parking available ...

the only option I am thinking is that covering our pool with glasses and keep it warm and humidity would come from the pool itself...

aslo I am thinking there should be hundreds of palms that i could grow here without need to push zones hardly ... I have 3 small / not heated greenhouse which I placed most of my seedlings there... I noticed it will provide 4-5 degree of temp higher than outside...

about Coconut, I know there is no chance to survive outside but I just wanted to give it try anyway... Who knows , I might place it in my future pool-glasshouse in future...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

Love the pool idea. Great thinking. Water has a high specific heat capacity which means that it takes a long time to warm up and then a long time to cool of which results in keeping other nearby areas slightly warmer. If it is sunlit during the day that trapped air will heat up-at the moment when it is sunny mine gets to high twenties, you could probably expect low 30s in Sydney. This warmer air will also warm the water which will slowly release this warmth into the air during the night. As you said also have the benefit of humidity. I strongly recommend using polycarbonate twinwall-much stronger than glass so wont break in a hail storm, much cheaper, easy to work with, less dangerous, and better insulation.

You are quite right with not needing a glasshouse to grow many palms. Even in Melbourne there would be over 100 species that could be grown without a glasshouse and in Sydney that number would be higher. It just makes it quicker to get them large and does increase your variety which is a good thing when it is quite hard to obtain some of the iconic temperate palms.

Here's another one that grows in Melbourne that you wouldn't think it would: Licuala ramsayi. I had two in pots for years in an outer northern suburb that gets colder than the Melbourne metro area and where I am now. They grew very slowly but reliably for at least 4 years maybe even 6 ?? and they didn't show a gradual stunting over years. They died from lack of water in summer one time I went away. I have some replacements in the glasshouse now. Melbourne University has several planted in a rainforest planting that have been in for a few years and grow slowly but steady. If you got those big before they went outside I think they would be quite resilient provided they are in the shade protected from wind and kept moist. Definitely give them a try if you haven't already in Sydney. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

Thanks for the comments and suggestions...

i have 2 Licuala Ramsayi from seed and with only one leaf... Also bought a small one which I am keeping as houseplant ... I am not sure if it can survive outside in grounds but definitely one of my favourite...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassowaryhill
14 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Here's another one that grows in Melbourne that you wouldn't think it would: Licuala ramsayi. I had two in pots for years in an outer northern suburb that gets colder than the Melbourne metro area and where I am now. They grew very slowly but reliably for at least 4 years maybe even 6 ?? and they didn't show a gradual stunting over years. They died from lack of water in summer one time I went away. I have some replacements in the glasshouse now. Melbourne University has several planted in a rainforest planting that have been in for a few years and grow slowly but steady. If you got those big before they went outside I think they would be quite resilient provided they are in the shade protected from wind and kept moist. Definitely give them a try if you haven't already in Sydney. 

 

 

 

 

I kinda guessed that Licuala ramsayii would. That ones no suprise. Yeah I live in Melton.. So that would be a Summer palm outdoors only..

BUT... OMG do tell where oh where in the Melbourne University are they located?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassowaryhill
15 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Melbourne University has several planted in a rainforest planting that have been in for a few years and grow slowly but steady. If you got those big before they went outside I think they would be quite resilient provided they are in the shade protected from wind and kept moist. Definitely give them a try if you haven't already in Sydney. 

 

 

 

 

Did you mean the Monash University

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

They are planted at Melbourne University Parkville Campus in System Garden between Botany and Agricultural Science in a rainforest garden section under the large Fig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

I have received Dypsis lastelliana  as bare root which I bought from eBay today...

Can someone tell me that what I got is actually Dypsis lastelliana   and not  Dypsis lepthocheilos?

Thanks in advance

Mohsen

 

IMG_7079.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_7083.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pip

Your Dypsis lastelliana has a heel. Dypsis leptocheilos doesn't have a heel. But then I'm no expert it is something I've read on another thread.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
1 hour ago, Pip said:

Your Dypsis lastelliana has a heel. Dypsis leptocheilos doesn't have a heel. But then I'm no expert it is something I've read on another thread.

Thanks Pip

It seems D.  leptocheilos might have heel and might not as in Palmpedia :

Comments and Curiosities

Some D. leptocheilos exibit a heel and some don't.

Conservation: Unknown, until the status in the wild has become more clear. (J. Dransfield and H. Beentje. 1995)/Palmweb.

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_leptocheilos

It would be great if some of Dypsis expert shed some light here...

maybe @DoomsDave  could help, Aldo I will post in a thread I found about 2007 ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howeadypsis
On 30/06/2016, 09:01:49, Sir Oxylon said:

I would love to grow a coconut. Probably the most useful plant in the world-there's not many things that it cant do. However, I do have a streak of reality in me. I don't think that anything I possibly do is going to make a coconut grow here outside and it will soon end up outgrowing the glasshouse so eventually I am going to kill it if I get a coconut. Plants like this I just don't bother with. Things like Marojejya I genuinely believe are worth trying and may work if I play all my cards right and am patient. I have a few other gambles that I am doing the same way. Recently had a whole heap of Carpoxylon macrospermum germinate that I will trial outside once I get them 6-8 foot tall. 

Strongly recommend a glasshouse but if you do get one you have to do it right and make it large otherwise its not worth it (cools and heats too quickly and not enough room). My glasshouse was a garage that I just pulled the metal off and replaced with polycarbonate twinwall. If you have a garage you can potentially have a glasshouse. You just have to get your priorities right. What is more important protecting a car or palms? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Failing that how about a renovation to the home-get rid of some floor boards put in some glass and a skylight-you already have the heating from your home-hey presto a glasshouse! Well maybe that is simplifying things a bit but food for thought. Guess it depends on how much you want it.

I would love a coconut too but I realise its impractical.  But when has that stopped me,lol. I'm driven to grow stuff that really I can't.  I have no room in the house for more plants yet I keep getting more. I have a greenhouse with cacti that are gonna have to be brought indoors in winter, and I'm growing a date palm. I can't plant out in the (tiny) garden-not allowed by the housing association,  but I keep wanting to. I'm passionate about plants. I can't stop! And I want some palms,but I can't have any.

I could always try bonsaiing a coconut tho...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kennybenjamin
5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I have received Dypsis lastelliana  as bare root which I bought from eBay today...

Can someone tell me that what I got is actually Dypsis lastelliana   and not  Dypsis lepthocheilos?

Thanks in advance

Mohsen

 

IMG_7079.JPG

IMG_7080.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

IMG_7082.JPG

IMG_7083.JPG

Definitely lastelliana 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
3 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

Definitely lastelliana 

Thanks Ben, do you think it could stay alive in my weather here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

Update : my Coco baby...

18 July 2016

the 3rd leaf is open as bifid...

look forward to having the first pinnate :)

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howeadypsis
On 30/06/2016, 09:01:49, Sir Oxylon said:

 Things like Marojejya I genuinely believe are worth trying and may work if I play all my cards right and am patient. 

I had to google that genus. What a huge palm!

 

 

Marojejya11.jpg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

Just bring my new potted Howea forsteriana and planted Howea Belmoreana for future updates:

 

Howea forsteriana - potted up on 30 July 2016 :

IMG_7379.thumb.JPG.ade6354a079b0c76f3439

IMG_7381.thumb.JPG.cbb267ced42cb2fb816b1

Howea Belmoreana - planted in garden on 31 July 2016 :

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.2cd57e522a7fb9611b44a

IMG_0066.thumb.JPG.efb341f961d8fb14dfdca

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Mohsen, what's happening here to your coconut?

I was going to wait till you got back to show you, but I thought that you would prefer the update.

Oh yes I have changed my avatar. I am still pussy whipped, but is just not so obvious.

P8170002.thumb.JPG.10602fdb37dc307ac429a 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
12 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Mohsen, what's happening here to your coconut?

I was going to wait till you got back to show you, but I thought that you would prefer the update.

Oh yes I have changed my avatar. I am still pussy whipped, but is just not so obvious.

P8170002.thumb.JPG.10602fdb37dc307ac429a 

Thanks Steve

it seems it's having the 4th leaf and happy?

:)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Mohsen,

That new leaf is quite fast.

I have been away a bit like you. 

Lizzy has been putting it in and out chasing the warmth.

coco.thumb.JPG.8d3dcd35ad66caa8c9e9d79b6

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 9/3/2016, 1:21:20, gtsteve said:

Mohsen,

That new leaf is quite fast.

I have been away a bit like you. 

Lizzy has been putting it in and out chasing the warmth.

coco.thumb.JPG.8d3dcd35ad66caa8c9e9d79b6

wonderful...

Thanks Steve, please thank Lizzy for me as well...hopefully soon it wont need to go inside at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Splitting new leaf.

coco.thumb.JPG.a4d388f87afc9c521e2e701ae
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

I think my new Howea belmoreana which I planted almost a month ago seems happy in its new home...

It is opening a new spear now :)

IMG_8226.thumb.JPG.7b0edb792b06a21068a91

 

 

IMG_8225.thumb.JPG.df93d7a2fca2c3f5e8e97

IMG_8224.thumb.JPG.2aed0e4c5743e1b98ea82

This is view from kitchen window to H.B :

IMG_8197.thumb.JPG.b06baa69e5aa87c786654

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palms4Steve

Hi Mohsen. 

Yes looks happy there. Is that a reserve in the back of the photo or part of your land. Looks a bit of a jungle?.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

Hi Mohsen. 

Yes looks happy there. Is that a reserve in the back of the photo or part of your land. Looks a bit of a jungle?.

Thanks Steve

thats Neigbour's yard ,

i would not left it like that if it was ours...

it is rented ,so never even cared :( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Mohsen, that 4th leaf is powering along, but still only bifid.

PA030003.thumb.JPG.1c7e3bb76aaa85481e26e

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
7 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Mohsen, that 4th leaf is powering along, but still only bifid.

PA030003.thumb.JPG.1c7e3bb76aaa85481e26e

Thanks Steve

that's beautiful ...

hoe did it do in the nasty wind we are having, Is it inside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

yes inside on cold windy days, I am surprised how quickly it is growing since it is not often getting much sun.

30mins of the last rays through tinted glass at an oblique angle would hardly count at all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 10/4/2016, 8:05:25, gtsteve said:

yes inside on cold windy days, I am surprised how quickly it is growing since it is not often getting much sun.

30mins of the last rays through tinted glass at an oblique angle would hardly count at all.

Thanks Mate

I think it should be safe now place it outside under sun?

I will take the burden from your shoulder soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 21 June 2016 at 5:56:00 PM, Mohsen said:

also I update my new born son, Liam here as well so will keep him update time to time ;)

born on 8th June 2016 , 2,9 KG, 50cm length...

IMG_3653.JPG

liam.png

I can't believe this was my Liam :) 

he is 4 month today ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil C

Excellent growth rate!!

Regards Neil

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
8 hours ago, Neil C said:

Excellent growth rate!!

Regards Neil

Thanks Neil

I hope my seedlings would had a growth rate like Liam ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Well your Coco is, that 4th leaf is now splitting.

It is nearly as big as the 3rd leaf already and the petiole is not even showing yet. And I think that a 5th leaf is also starting to show.

I can't believe how fast these things grow.

PA090002.thumb.JPG.173bf0c9698cdf05502fb

PA090003.thumb.JPG.82e598fcf7127cc25f2bd

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
4 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Well your Coco is, that 4th leaf is now splitting.

It is nearly as big as the 3rd leaf already and the petiole is not even showing yet. And I think that a 5th leaf is also starting to show.

I can't believe how fast these things grow.

PA090002.thumb.JPG.173bf0c9698cdf05502fb

PA090003.thumb.JPG.82e598fcf7127cc25f2bd

 

wonderful news Steve :)

Thanks ...the divided frond ...that soon ...unbelievable  :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

How do we make sure that Mohsen's Coco gets the morning sun as early as possible, and how do we maximize the radiant heat transfer for it?

And how did we keep it growing fast in winter?  Like this!

PA110003.thumb.JPG.3a8d3bdc2daa5d8256823

 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
2 hours ago, gtsteve said:

How do we make sure that Mohsen's Coco gets the morning sun as early as possible, and how do we maximize the radiant heat transfer for it?

And how did we keep it growing fast in winter?  Like this!

PA110003.thumb.JPG.3a8d3bdc2daa5d8256823

 

That's awesome Steve

thanks mate and that's practically is yours than mine... ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

Having small available space to plant palms made me search for every possible corner ...

I just planted my small Laccospadix australasica beside our walk way to home ...

I amend the local soil with compost as much s I could ...

I hope it has the reddish new leaves ...

IMG_8473.thumb.JPG.419ac5681c5ac68f92196

IMG_8476.thumb.JPG.c00a0a2de07970ca9628d

IMG_8479.thumb.JPG.4caa29f33276b3a58ff7f

IMG_8477.thumb.JPG.d10b1c4a2596f2a7fccb3

IMG_8479.thumb.JPG.4caa29f33276b3a58ff7f

IMG_8478.JPG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palms4Steve

Looks like you still have a bit more space in the background.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
19 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Looks like you still have a bit more space in the background.

It is the front yard or garden and I plant my Bizzy in centre ... I have plan to plant few Dypsis there as well in future ;) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gtsteve

Mohsen,

Here is a further progression of your coco, the 4th leaf is now bigger than the previous and showing more separation.

PA190001.thumb.JPG.3bb2dc35387c982b22e5d

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...