Jump to content
Mohsen

MY OWN PALMS...

Recommended Posts

Mohsen

I had to re-locate my Ravenea glauca ...I hope it be happy there...

How easy are they in transplanting and how fast are they ?

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palms4Steve
21 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve, how old is it? are they fast ? a picture would be great :yay:

Hi Mohsen. It was planted in 2009 and was about 600mm tall. It was hard to get a good photo.Hope these are ok. I think that it is reasonably fast.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

Hi Mohsen. It was planted in 2009 and was about 600mm tall. It was hard to get a good photo.Hope these are ok. I think that it is reasonably fast.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

They look very happy Steve :)

 It seems you plant palms in dense like me ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alicehunter2000

The palm purchase fever is at fever pitch!

 When you run out of room for new stuff you will have to channel your energy into general gardening/hardscape and maintenance chores ..... it's difficult to slow down the buying....believe me I know...lol

Become a connoisseur of "smalls"

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassowaryhill
On 10/04/2016, 19:35:48, Mohsen said:

Just went to Aldi today and bought myself one Bamboo Palm, one Dwarf Date Palm and one Solitary Palm ( if they labled it correctly ) $12.99 each ...:) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Does anybody where these palms came from originally in Oz? Yeah Solitaire should do fine in Sydney.. Dont actually know why it isnt more freely available??

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 14 April 2016 at 11:51:57 PM, Alicehunter2000 said:

The palm purchase fever is at fever pitch!

 When you run out of room for new stuff you will have to channel your energy into general gardening/hardscape and maintenance chores ..... it's difficult to slow down the buying....believe me I know...lol

Become a connoisseur of "smalls"

The problem we have here is that there is no easy way to buy different palms ... Only very few types are available ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
1 hour ago, cassowaryhill said:

Does anybody where these palms came from originally in Oz? Yeah Solitaire should do fine in Sydney.. Dont actually know why it isnt more freely available??

 

I guess most of the palms sold here came from QLD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
palmtreesforpleasure
On 3/17/2016, 10:01:37, gtsteve said:

If you like the look of Syagrus, when you have pulled it out, you could replace it with a few Chamaedorea plumosa,

they have a similar look, won't outgrow the spot and won't make a mess.

Funny in the first pic all 3 plants put in at the same size and time, but one is now 12' high the others 6' and 1'. 

Similar with the second trio, 6', 6' and 1'.

56e9e2f95b9f4_Cplumosa(3).JPG.af1859f514

56e9e3029b280_Cplumosa(2).JPG.aab9a52edb

Looking very healthy Steve

regards

colin

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 1/20/2016, 11:37:31, Mohsen said:

other views :

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

update on my Wodyetia bifurcata : 24-4-2016

after few weeks being static...now it is opening a new spear, so I guess it likes it there :) 

IMG_5527.JPG

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

re-potting the Washingtonia ( filifera or robusta ?!)...

 

IMG_6244.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foxtail
On 2/18/2016, 9:55:43, Mohsen said:

Dypsis ampasindavae :

Dypsis ampasindavae 1.JPG

Moh, any update on this baby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 6/3/2016, 11:54:50, foxtail said:

Moh, any update on this baby?

Angel,

It is just hanging there...no movement at all...either very slow grower or doesn't like weather here or maybe small pot...but the baby is alive and that matters

BTW here the weather is getting colder and colder...hopefully in spring it shows some activity ;)

IMG_6763.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

How is the Marojejya and Dypsis nauseosa going? From your pics it looks like the soil level is above the lower leaf sheaths. If it is I would take out some of the soil. These palms can rot very easily if moisture sticks around in the leaf axils for too long-having soil over them helps this rot along quickly because potting mix holds onto moisture. These species also have a habit of pulling themselves into the soil making the situation worse. I would reduce the soil level by perhaps 3-5 cm.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
3 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

How is the Marojejya and Dypsis nauseosa going? From your pics it looks like the soil level is above the lower leaf sheaths. If it is I would take out some of the soil. These palms can rot very easily if moisture sticks around in the leaf axils for too long-having soil over them helps this rot along quickly because potting mix holds onto moisture. These species also have a habit of pulling themselves into the soil making the situation worse. I would reduce the soil level by perhaps 3-5 cm.

Marojejya couldn't make it :( 

D.nauseosa is hanging there...

i don't think the first sheaths is in soil but will double check ... Thanks for the heads up...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

You should definitely give Marojejya insignis another shot if the opportunity arises. They are surviving in Melbourne so shouldn't be a problem in Sydney.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 7 June 2016 at 7:59:38 PM, Sir Oxylon said:

You should definitely give Marojejya insignis another shot if the opportunity arises. They are surviving in Melbourne so shouldn't be a problem in Sydney.

Really , if they can survive there they should grow here, I thought they are tropical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

I recived  2 babies  Lemurophoenix halleuxii and Dypsis  Basilinga  from eBay ,they should be my rarest palms if I can keep them alive ;) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoenikakias

Now you you're entering deep water. Best luck!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palms4Steve

Hi Mohsen.

very nice. I have a seedling of  dypsis basilonga too. This will be its first winter here too. Let's see how they go. Never tried the Lemurophoenix before . 

steve

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pip

Oh wow. That's so many different species.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 3/17/2016, 8:46:49, Mohsen said:

update on my :

the spear is fully opened and another one appears and growing :)

 

IMG_5278.JPG

 

 

 

 

IMG_4931.JPG

update on my Kentiopsis oliviformis  : 21 June 2016

the new spear is opening , the growth might be  slow but continuous

IMG_6930.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen

also I update my new born son, Liam here as well so will keep him update time to time ;)

born on 8th June 2016 , 2,9 KG, 50cm length...

IMG_3653.JPG

liam.png

  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tassie_Troy1971

WOW congratulations on Liam

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 6/21/2016, 7:22:12, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

WOW congratulations on Liam

Thanks Troy

Liam update after 2 weeks ;)

3kg..

 

IMG_6899.JPG

IMG_6918.thumb.JPG.95327d97b6c25603edede4c66c9bb76f.JPG

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 3/23/2016, 10:24:19, Mohsen said:

Just noticed today that spears from my " 2X Hedyscepes  and 1X Rhopalostylis Chatham " are opening so now I am sure they are alive and sound :)

I might want them to be planted in ground close in each other , Rhopalostylis Chatham  in middle and one Hedyscepes  each sides ( 0.5 meter a part from each other)

is this wise?

IMG_5334.JPG

 

update Rhopalostylis Chatham  22 June 2016 :

opening another spear...

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tassie_Troy1971

The Rhopalostylis chatham is looking really good !  almost growing as fast as your baby boy

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
On 3/18/2016, 2:21:00, Mohsen said:

update Archontophoenix cunninghamiana - 18-3-2016

 

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

UPDATE Archontophoenix cunninghamiana :

Or perhaps it is Archontophoenix Alexandria ???

it is getting wider and thicker...

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ben in Norcal
27 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

UPDATE Archontophoenix cunninghamiana :

Or perhaps it is Archontophoenix Alexandria ???

it is getting wider and thicker...

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

That looks like alexandre.  Are the undersides of the leaflets silvery?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foxtail
On 6/4/2016, 5:32:48, Mohsen said:

Angel,

It is just hanging there...no movement at all...either very slow grower or doesn't like weather here or maybe small pot...but the baby is alive and that matters

BTW here the weather is getting colder and colder...hopefully in spring it shows some activity ;)

IMG_6763.JPG

Looks nice, mine is slow too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
19 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

That looks like alexandre.  Are the undersides of the leaflets silvery?

Yes, they are silvery...interesting though as I bought it as A.cunninghamiana ... The ones I bought as A.Alexandre are actually A.cunninghamiana ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassowaryhill
On 07/06/2016, 7:59:38, Sir Oxylon said:

You should definitely give Marojejya insignis another shot if the opportunity arises. They are surviving in Melbourne so shouldn't be a problem in Sydney.

REALLY!!!??? *SHOCKED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rprimbs
On 6/21/2016, 12:56:00, Mohsen said:

also I update my new born son, Liam here as well so will keep him update time to time ;)

born on 8th June 2016 , 2,9 KG, 50cm length...

IMG_3653.JPG

liam.png

Congratulations!  He has a good head of hair!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
6 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

REALLY!!!??? *SHOCKED

I really doubt it too, as my experience living in Melbourne for 1 year ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
2 hours ago, rprimbs said:

Congratulations!  He has a good head of hair!

Thanks Richard...yes he has it all...hopefully he got it from his mother's mother sides ;) 

look at him now as he is today :

13438861_543031062567820_321880030154865309_n.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

Cassowary Hill the Marojejya I have is a small plant (5 leaves). I has it outside throughout last winter which was quite a cold winter (below average temps) in a protected spot. It produced a new leaf and it got a bit of brown edging to the older leaves but otherwise ok. I have it in a heated glasshouse this year to rocket it along to a much larger size before planting but I have faith it should do reasonably well especially when larger. Both Marojejya are being grown in San Francisco with some success. I am in Frankston-bit warmer than Melbourne and San Francisco.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gyuseppe
1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

 

13438861_543031062567820_321880030154865309_n.jpg

Liam is growing quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tim_brissy_13
54 minutes ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Cassowary Hill the Marojejya I have is a small plant (5 leaves). I has it outside throughout last winter which was quite a cold winter (below average temps) in a protected spot. It produced a new leaf and it got a bit of brown edging to the older leaves but otherwise ok. I have it in a heated glasshouse this year to rocket it along to a much larger size before planting but I have faith it should do reasonably well especially when larger. Both Marojejya are being grown in San Francisco with some success. I am in Frankston-bit warmer than Melbourne and San Francisco.

I'd also be shocked if you could get a Marojejya to grow long term, but you're definitely going about it the right way - get it large before planting out. I'm not surprised that it made it through one winter, from what I've seen many tropicals in Melbourne won't die immediately over one winter or even two or 3, but a year round lack of heat may stunt their growth and they can eventually decline. I've seen this with Pinanga coronata, Roystonea, Hyophorbe vershaffeltii and lagencaulis, and some tropical Dypsis among others. I even had a Raphia vinifera survive here for years but growth eventually stopped. Make sure to eventually plant close to a wall which can reflect some heat, I think Marojejya will need a bit more than the 12C winter maximums that Frankston will throw at it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mohsen
7 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Cassowary Hill the Marojejya I have is a small plant (5 leaves). I has it outside throughout last winter which was quite a cold winter (below average temps) in a protected spot. It produced a new leaf and it got a bit of brown edging to the older leaves but otherwise ok. I have it in a heated glasshouse this year to rocket it along to a much larger size before planting but I have faith it should do reasonably well especially when larger. Both Marojejya are being grown in San Francisco with some success. I am in Frankston-bit warmer than Melbourne and San Francisco.

Daniel,

I guess we have colder nights but Warner days here compare to Frankston,

not sure which one is better for tropical sun-tropical palms though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cassowaryhill
16 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I'd also be shocked if you could get a Marojejya to grow long term, but you're definitely going about it the right way - get it large before planting out. I'm not surprised that it made it through one winter, from what I've seen many tropicals in Melbourne won't die immediately over one winter or even two or 3, but a year round lack of heat may stunt their growth and they can eventually decline. I've seen this with Pinanga coronata, Roystonea, Hyophorbe vershaffeltii and lagencaulis, and some tropical Dypsis among others. I even had a Raphia vinifera survive here for years but growth eventually stopped. Make sure to eventually plant close to a wall which can reflect some heat, I think Marojejya will need a bit more than the 12C winter maximums that Frankston will throw at it.

Pinanga coronata!! Really interesting. Well Raphia australis should grow quite better. Its growing lovely in the Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town South Africa. Melbourne and CT have the same climate. Except we have better soil. lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Oxylon

I think Thornleigh would be better than here for Marojejya providing that you don't get too frosty. If you get regular frost it would be a waste of time. I aim to grow all these tropical marginal things in the glasshouse until they outgrow the largest manageable pot or space in the glasshouse before I put them out in the garden. I am interested to see how it works. If it doesn't they will at least have looked good for years in the glasshouse. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...