IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

I had to re-locate my Ravenea glauca ...I hope it be happy there...

How easy are they in transplanting and how fast are they ?

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve, how old is it? are they fast ? a picture would be great :yay:

Hi Mohsen. It was planted in 2009 and was about 600mm tall. It was hard to get a good photo.Hope these are ok. I think that it is reasonably fast.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Palms4Steve said:

Hi Mohsen. It was planted in 2009 and was about 600mm tall. It was hard to get a good photo.Hope these are ok. I think that it is reasonably fast.

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

They look very happy Steve :)

It seems you plant palms in dense like me ;)

• Upvote 1

The palm purchase fever is at fever pitch!

When you run out of room for new stuff you will have to channel your energy into general gardening/hardscape and maintenance chores ..... it's difficult to slow down the buying....believe me I know...lol

Become a connoisseur of "smalls"

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

On 10/04/2016, 19:35:48, Mohsen said:

Just went to Aldi today and bought myself one Bamboo Palm, one Dwarf Date Palm and one Solitary Palm ( if they labled it correctly ) $12.99 each ...:) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Does anybody where these palms came from originally in Oz? Yeah Solitaire should do fine in Sydney.. Dont actually know why it isnt more freely available??

• Upvote 1

On 14 April 2016 at 11:51:57 PM, Alicehunter2000 said:

The palm purchase fever is at fever pitch!

When you run out of room for new stuff you will have to channel your energy into general gardening/hardscape and maintenance chores ..... it's difficult to slow down the buying....believe me I know...lol

Become a connoisseur of "smalls"

The problem we have here is that there is no easy way to buy different palms ... Only very few types are available ...

1 hour ago, cassowaryhill said:

Does anybody where these palms came from originally in Oz? Yeah Solitaire should do fine in Sydney.. Dont actually know why it isnt more freely available??

I guess most of the palms sold here came from QLD?

On 3/17/2016, 10:01:37, gtsteve said:

If you like the look of Syagrus, when you have pulled it out, you could replace it with a few Chamaedorea plumosa,

they have a similar look, won't outgrow the spot and won't make a mess.

Funny in the first pic all 3 plants put in at the same size and time, but one is now 12' high the others 6' and 1'. 

Similar with the second trio, 6', 6' and 1'.

56e9e2f95b9f4_Cplumosa(3).JPG.af1859f514

56e9e3029b280_Cplumosa(2).JPG.aab9a52edb

Looking very healthy Steve

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

On 1/20/2016, 11:37:31, Mohsen said:

other views :

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

update on my Wodyetia bifurcata : 24-4-2016

after few weeks being static...now it is opening a new spear, so I guess it likes it there :) 

IMG_5527.JPG

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016, 9:55:43, Mohsen said:

Dypsis ampasindavae :

Dypsis ampasindavae 1.JPG

Moh, any update on this baby?

Rio_Grande.gif

On 6/3/2016, 11:54:50, foxtail said:

Moh, any update on this baby?

Angel,

It is just hanging there...no movement at all...either very slow grower or doesn't like weather here or maybe small pot...but the baby is alive and that matters

BTW here the weather is getting colder and colder...hopefully in spring it shows some activity ;)

IMG_6763.JPG

How is the Marojejya and Dypsis nauseosa going? From your pics it looks like the soil level is above the lower leaf sheaths. If it is I would take out some of the soil. These palms can rot very easily if moisture sticks around in the leaf axils for too long-having soil over them helps this rot along quickly because potting mix holds onto moisture. These species also have a habit of pulling themselves into the soil making the situation worse. I would reduce the soil level by perhaps 3-5 cm.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

How is the Marojejya and Dypsis nauseosa going? From your pics it looks like the soil level is above the lower leaf sheaths. If it is I would take out some of the soil. These palms can rot very easily if moisture sticks around in the leaf axils for too long-having soil over them helps this rot along quickly because potting mix holds onto moisture. These species also have a habit of pulling themselves into the soil making the situation worse. I would reduce the soil level by perhaps 3-5 cm.

Marojejya couldn't make it :( 

D.nauseosa is hanging there...

i don't think the first sheaths is in soil but will double check ... Thanks for the heads up...

You should definitely give Marojejya insignis another shot if the opportunity arises. They are surviving in Melbourne so shouldn't be a problem in Sydney.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7 June 2016 at 7:59:38 PM, Sir Oxylon said:

You should definitely give Marojejya insignis another shot if the opportunity arises. They are surviving in Melbourne so shouldn't be a problem in Sydney.

Really , if they can survive there they should grow here, I thought they are tropical?

I recived  2 babies  Lemurophoenix halleuxii and Dypsis  Basilinga  from eBay ,they should be my rarest palms if I can keep them alive ;) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Hi Mohsen.

very nice. I have a seedling of  dypsis basilonga too. This will be its first winter here too. Let's see how they go. Never tried the Lemurophoenix before . 

steve

• Upvote 1

On 3/17/2016, 8:46:49, Mohsen said:

update on my :

the spear is fully opened and another one appears and growing :)

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

update on my Kentiopsis oliviformis  : 21 June 2016

the new spear is opening , the growth might be  slow but continuous

IMG_6930.JPG

also I update my new born son, Liam here as well so will keep him update time to time ;)

born on 8th June 2016 , 2,9 KG, 50cm length...

IMG_3653.JPG

liam.png

• Upvote 9

WOW congratulations on Liam

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 6/21/2016, 7:22:12, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

WOW congratulations on Liam

Thanks Troy

Liam update after 2 weeks ;)

3kg..

IMG_6899.JPG

IMG_6918.thumb.JPG.95327d97b6c25603edede4c66c9bb76f.JPG

• Upvote 6

On 3/23/2016, 10:24:19, Mohsen said:

Just noticed today that spears from my " 2X Hedyscepes  and 1X Rhopalostylis Chatham " are opening so now I am sure they are alive and sound :)

I might want them to be planted in ground close in each other , Rhopalostylis Chatham  in middle and one Hedyscepes  each sides ( 0.5 meter a part from each other)

is this wise?

IMG_5334.JPG

update Rhopalostylis Chatham  22 June 2016 :

opening another spear...

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

• Upvote 2

The Rhopalostylis chatham is looking really good !  almost growing as fast as your baby boy

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 3/18/2016, 2:21:00, Mohsen said:

update Archontophoenix cunninghamiana - 18-3-2016

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

UPDATE Archontophoenix cunninghamiana :

Or perhaps it is Archontophoenix Alexandria ???

it is getting wider and thicker...

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

UPDATE Archontophoenix cunninghamiana :

Or perhaps it is Archontophoenix Alexandria ???

it is getting wider and thicker...

IMG_6973.JPG

IMG_6974.JPG

That looks like alexandre.  Are the undersides of the leaflets silvery?

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 6/4/2016, 5:32:48, Mohsen said:

Angel,

It is just hanging there...no movement at all...either very slow grower or doesn't like weather here or maybe small pot...but the baby is alive and that matters

BTW here the weather is getting colder and colder...hopefully in spring it shows some activity ;)

IMG_6763.JPG

Looks nice, mine is slow too.

Rio_Grande.gif

19 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

That looks like alexandre.  Are the undersides of the leaflets silvery?

Yes, they are silvery...interesting though as I bought it as A.cunninghamiana ... The ones I bought as A.Alexandre are actually A.cunninghamiana ;) 

On 07/06/2016, 7:59:38, Sir Oxylon said:

REALLY!!!??? *SHOCKED

On 6/21/2016, 12:56:00, Mohsen said:

also I update my new born son, Liam here as well so will keep him update time to time ;)

born on 8th June 2016 , 2,9 KG, 50cm length...

IMG_3653.JPG

liam.png

Congratulations!  He has a good head of hair!

6 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

REALLY!!!??? *SHOCKED

I really doubt it too, as my experience living in Melbourne for 1 year ...

2 hours ago, rprimbs said:

Congratulations!  He has a good head of hair!

Thanks Richard...yes he has it all...hopefully he got it from his mother's mother sides ;) 

look at him now as he is today :

13438861_543031062567820_321880030154865309_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cassowary Hill the Marojejya I have is a small plant (5 leaves). I has it outside throughout last winter which was quite a cold winter (below average temps) in a protected spot. It produced a new leaf and it got a bit of brown edging to the older leaves but otherwise ok. I have it in a heated glasshouse this year to rocket it along to a much larger size before planting but I have faith it should do reasonably well especially when larger. Both Marojejya are being grown in San Francisco with some success. I am in Frankston-bit warmer than Melbourne and San Francisco.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Cassowary Hill the Marojejya I have is a small plant (5 leaves). I has it outside throughout last winter which was quite a cold winter (below average temps) in a protected spot. It produced a new leaf and it got a bit of brown edging to the older leaves but otherwise ok. I have it in a heated glasshouse this year to rocket it along to a much larger size before planting but I have faith it should do reasonably well especially when larger. Both Marojejya are being grown in San Francisco with some success. I am in Frankston-bit warmer than Melbourne and San Francisco.

I'd also be shocked if you could get a Marojejya to grow long term, but you're definitely going about it the right way - get it large before planting out. I'm not surprised that it made it through one winter, from what I've seen many tropicals in Melbourne won't die immediately over one winter or even two or 3, but a year round lack of heat may stunt their growth and they can eventually decline. I've seen this with Pinanga coronata, Roystonea, Hyophorbe vershaffeltii and lagencaulis, and some tropical Dypsis among others. I even had a Raphia vinifera survive here for years but growth eventually stopped. Make sure to eventually plant close to a wall which can reflect some heat, I think Marojejya will need a bit more than the 12C winter maximums that Frankston will throw at it.

• Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

7 hours ago, Sir Oxylon said:

Daniel,

I guess we have colder nights but Warner days here compare to Frankston,

not sure which one is better for tropical sun-tropical palms though?

16 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

I'd also be shocked if you could get a Marojejya to grow long term, but you're definitely going about it the right way - get it large before planting out. I'm not surprised that it made it through one winter, from what I've seen many tropicals in Melbourne won't die immediately over one winter or even two or 3, but a year round lack of heat may stunt their growth and they can eventually decline. I've seen this with Pinanga coronata, Roystonea, Hyophorbe vershaffeltii and lagencaulis, and some tropical Dypsis among others. I even had a Raphia vinifera survive here for years but growth eventually stopped. Make sure to eventually plant close to a wall which can reflect some heat, I think Marojejya will need a bit more than the 12C winter maximums that Frankston will throw at it.

Pinanga coronata!! Really interesting. Well Raphia australis should grow quite better. Its growing lovely in the Kirstenbosch Gardens in Cape Town South Africa. Melbourne and CT have the same climate. Except we have better soil. lol

I think Thornleigh would be better than here for Marojejya providing that you don't get too frosty. If you get regular frost it would be a waste of time. I aim to grow all these tropical marginal things in the glasshouse until they outgrow the largest manageable pot or space in the glasshouse before I put them out in the garden. I am interested to see how it works. If it doesn't they will at least have looked good for years in the glasshouse. 

• Upvote 1