IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

If you like the look of Syagrus, when you have pulled it out, you could replace it with a few Chamaedorea plumosa,

they have a similar look, won't outgrow the spot and won't make a mess.

Funny in the first pic all 3 plants put in at the same size and time, but one is now 12' high the others 6' and 1'. 

Similar with the second trio, 6', 6' and 1'.

56e9e2f95b9f4_Cplumosa(3).JPG.af1859f514

56e9e3029b280_Cplumosa(2).JPG.aab9a52edb

• Upvote 5

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 3/16/2016, 4:01:37, gtsteve said:

If you like the look of Syagrus, when you have pulled it out, you could replace it with a few Chamaedorea plumosa,

they have a similar look, won't outgrow the spot and won't make a mess.

Funny in the first pic all 3 plants put in at the same size and time, but one is now 12' high the others 6' and 1'. 

Similar with the second trio, 6', 6' and 1'.

56e9e2f95b9f4_Cplumosa(3).JPG.af1859f514

56e9e3029b280_Cplumosa(2).JPG.aab9a52edb

Thanks Steve

They do look like young queens :)

are they shade lovers or full sun tolerant ?

On 2/4/2016, 2:43:12, Mohsen said:

Finally I made the decision and replaced L.Nitida with Kentiopsis oliviformis ...I put L.Nitida in Pot before finding its right location in ground...

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

update on my :

the spear is fully opened and another one appears and growing :)

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

• Upvote 2

Mohsen,

The plumosa is perhaps the best of the few other sun tolerant Chamys, probably being 

radicalis, cataractum, microspadix and costaricana.

Also maybe glaucifolia, oblongata and benzei.

Quite often what determines just how ratty a sun tolerant plant will look

is also just how much wind and water it also gets, and other micro environment conditions.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

On 12/6/2015, 2:03:15, Mohsen said:

I finished this part as well..as the drainage was really poor and also very narrow, I only could plant 1 "Archontophoenix cunninghamiana" and 1X "Trachycarpus fortunei" and also my "Rhopalostylis sapida" ( which @gtsteve kindly gave it to me) ...

FullSizeRender(9).jpg

update Archontophoenix cunninghamiana - 18-3-2016

IMG_5274.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

looking great - you certainly have been busy !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

On 2/21/2016, 3:31:17, Mohsen said:

Recieved 2X Hedyscepes  and 1X Rhopalostylis Chatham :) Thanks to Troy :)

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Just noticed today that spears from my " 2X Hedyscepes  and 1X Rhopalostylis Chatham " are opening so now I am sure they are alive and sound :)

I might want them to be planted in ground close in each other , Rhopalostylis Chatham  in middle and one Hedyscepes  each sides ( 0.5 meter a part from each other)

is this wise?

IMG_5334.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

Looks like a good shelted spot . Allow enough room for them to grow. I have one hedyscepe in filtered light and one that gets hot afternoon sun. The one in filtered light has grown a lot better. 

Steve

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:
2 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Looks like a good shelted spot . Allow enough room for them to grow. I have one hedyscepe in filtered light and one that gets hot afternoon sun. The one in filtered light has grown a lot better. 

Steve

Steve

Thanks Steve

I hope there is enough room for Rhopalostylis Chatham  as this baby' parent has a huge crownshaft .if it ever gets that size in Sydney of course

( courtesy to

@pogobob and @Tassie_Troy1971  )

RopoChatam.jpg

• Upvote 3

As steve said it looks like a great sheltered spot I would plant the Big Chatham Rhopalostylis here and maybe 1 Hedyscepe . It would be best to create a garden bed using a border of rocks or stones or blocks and build the soil up a bit rather than just dig a hole and plant.The extra effort is worth it in the long run.

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

4 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

As steve said it looks like a great sheltered spot I would plant the Big Chatham Rhopalostylis here and maybe 1 Hedyscepe . It would be best to create a garden bed using a border of rocks or stones or blocks and build the soil up a bit rather than just dig a hole and plant.The extra effort is worth it in the long run.

Thanks Troy

I just planted all 3 and the distances are 90 cm from each other...

I don't have the best soil and drainage but I tried hard to amend the soil with compost and gypsum ...

Another thing is I thing the palms might get 1-2 hour sun during the day and then shade...I hope they can cope with that as I didn't install any shade cloth ?

before :

IMG_5339.thumb.JPG.8596bee58b5f17a771975

after :

IMG_5343.JPG

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG

IMG_5345.JPG

IMG_5346.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG

IMG_5349.JPG

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve

I hope there is enough room for Rhopalostylis Chatham  as this baby' parent has a huge crownshaft .if it ever gets that size in Sydney of course

( courtesy to

@pogobob and @Tassie_Troy1971  )

RopoChatam.jpg

The rhopalostylis Chatham is a stunning looking Palm. Will make a good show piece. It should grow well here in Sydney. I have a small rhopalostylis,I think it's sapida though.

• Upvote 1

They look good Mohesen stand back and watch em grow !

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

3 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

They look good Mohesen stand back and watch em grow !

Thanks Troy

they might get only 1-2 hours full sun and the rest  shade ...is it Ok? Will they be fine? , I have not installed any shade cloth..

On 27/03/2016, 03:41:25, Mohsen said:

Bizzie update : 26-3-2016

new spear opened yesterday :

IMG_5354.JPG

IMG_5353.JPG

Beautifull :greenthumb::drool:

In a couple of years it will be a giant!

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2016, 2:30:59, Rafael said:

Beautifull :greenthumb::drool:

In a couple of years it will be a giant!

Thanks Rafael

can wait for that day :)

By now it is having many fronds but it is not getting any height ?

• Upvote 1

I just got myself a new greenhouse as a birthday gift ...

had moved all seedlings from my office room and on deck ( unhappy wife :(  )   , I hope they get through winter in there... IMG_5413.thumb.JPG.cade24d9b265dc78c2b0b

IMG_5421.JPG

IMG_5420.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

They should be happy in there.

I hope so Steve,,,

all pots near each other I hope thee will be some sort of natural humidity forms and also in winter provides few degree heat...we will see...

At least I am not worry about gnats and other insects and I have a happier wife now :innocent:

I will also build another one beside that next weekend for the rest of my seedlings...

be careful with that greenhouse if it is in that direct sun they will cook - literally i had one that got to 60 C inside from direct sun leave the flap part way up ( 30 % ) will stop this.

cheers Troy

• Upvote 2

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

1 hour ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

be careful with that greenhouse if it is in that direct sun they will cook - literally i had one that got to 60 C inside from direct sun leave the flap part way up ( 30 % ) will stop this.

cheers Troy

Thanks Troy for the heads up...it is in shade, only 1 hour morning sun maybe...but will keep that in mind...

Just went to Aldi today and bought myself one Bamboo Palm, one Dwarf Date Palm and one Solitary Palm ( if they labled it correctly ) $12.99 each ...:) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 28 de março de 2016, 15:30:59, Rafael said:

By now it is having many fronds but it is not getting any height ?

Thats a normal behaviour, Mohsen, soon you will notice structural growth :mellow:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Palms4Steve said:

Mohsen the solitaire Palm was a good find, you don't see many for sale in Sydney.

You are right Steve,,,I was not expecting to see it in Adli :)

I am sure if you go to any Aldi, there is very good chance to find Solitary palm...BTW, new frond of it should be red? am I right? is it tropical palm or can stand Sydney weather too?

• Upvote 1

Just re-pot my H. forsteriana , it was quadratic and I separate one and plant in to pool garden ...

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5477.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

• Upvote 1

plant the Phoenix roebelenii I bought today :)

It was very rootbound... I hope it be happy there...

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

You are right Steve,,,I was not expecting to see it in Adli :)

I am sure if you go to any Aldi, there is very good chance to find Solitary palm...BTW, new frond of it should be red? am I right? is it tropical palm or can stand Sydney weather too?

The the new frond is normally green. I have one growing here and have seen a few growing locally. But you don't see many. I don't think that they would like any frost.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2016, 11:17:10, Palms4Steve said:

The the new frond is normally green. I have one growing here and have seen a few growing locally. But you don't see many. I don't think that they would like any frost.

Thanks Steve...

I thought the new fronds are in color ?

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Heterospathe_longipes

Hetlon1.jpg

On 10/4/2016, 11:35:48, Mohsen said:

Just went to Aldi today and bought myself one Bamboo Palm, one Dwarf Date Palm and one Solitary Palm ( if they labled it correctly ) $12.99 each ...:) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mohsen  Bamboo Palm is chamaedorea seifrizii,Dwarf Date Palm  is phoenix roebelenii,is Solitary Palm  that species is?

GIUSEPPE

Thanks Pal and Steve...

even better, it seems "Ptychosperma elegans" is cold hardy to 1.7 C so it should be happily grow in Sydney? is it full sun tolerate ? How big is yours Steve?

18 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal and Steve...

even better, it seems "Ptychosperma elegans" is cold hardy to 1.7 C so it should be happily grow in Sydney? is it full sun tolerate ? How big is yours Steve?

Mohsen mine is about sixteen feet tall. Growing in filtered light. I have seen them growing in full sun in Sydney . There was a nice one in a front yard at sans souci which was fruiting but the owner chopped it down.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Mohsen mine is about sixteen feet tall. Growing in filtered light. I have seen them growing in full sun in Sydney . There was a nice one in a front yard at sans souci which was fruiting but the owner chopped it down.

Thanks Steve, how old is it? are they fast ? a picture would be great :yay: