IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

I am getting below seedlings in a good deal in ebay...they are sent to me in bare root...I need to pot them up when I receved them...any special tratment I shuld have...I am not even sure they can survive here or not : any comment be much appropriated :)

1-      Rare -Pinanga coronata ivory cane palm full sun small clumping palm 2 x seedling

2-      Rare palm Dypsis nauseosa or dypsis sp mealy bug COLD Hardy dypsis..!

3-      Rare Palm - Areca Vestiaria..” RED crownshaft Form”

4-      Rare Palm -Dypsis pilulifera "orange crush" Rare tropical looking dypsis

5-      Rare Palm Licuala ramsayi Tropical looking lovely palm...!

6-      Palm-Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti entire leaf small growing indoor 2 x seedling

7-      Rare Palm Dypsis arenarum BLUE cane palm, spectacular looking blue palm

8-      Rare Palm-Dypsis ampasindavae Rare tropical looking medium growing Palm

9-      Rare Palm Marojejya insignis Spectacular Species of tropical looking Palm

10-   Dypsis Plumosa lovely medium growing sp that retains lots of colour in this sp

11-   Rare Palm-Dypsis ovobontsira Rare tropical looking medium growing species

12-   Rare Palm-Dypsis rosea pink crown shaft Rare tropical looking small growing sp

13-   Rare Palm Dypsis sp aff Faneva rare entire leaf form, spectacular looking palm

• Upvote 2

Great selection Molsen. I would pot them up as soon as possible in a good well draining potting mix. Make sure you get the mix in between all the roots and water them in very well . Most of them should grow well here in Sydney. I have most of them growing here but some of mine I haven't had long. Good luck with the Areca vestiaria l have given up growing this one after many failed attempts. I had it growing in the ground for a few years but it looks worse after each winter till it dies.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Great selection Molsen. I would pot them up as soon as possible in a good well draining potting mix. Make sure you get the mix in between all the roots and water them in very well . Most of them should grow well here in Sydney. I have most of them growing here but some of mine I haven't had long. Good luck with the Areca vestiaria l have given up growing this one after many failed attempts. I had it growing in the ground for a few years but it looks worse after each winter till it dies.

Thanks Steve...

If I pot them up , should I wait few month before get them in ground?

BTW can I keep  Areca vestiaria as houseplant indoor?

and do you have  Marojejya insignis ? will it grow here ?

5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve...

If I pot them up , should I wait few month before get them in ground?

BTW can I keep  Areca vestiaria as houseplant indoor?

and do you have  Marojejya insignis ? will it grow here ?

Molsen if your going to put them in the ground l would prefer to get them in as early as you can before winter. It also depends on the size . I was thinking that they were seedlings. I have not tried growing Areca vestiaria indoors it might be ok. I do have marojejya insignis but I only bought it two weeks ago. Probably from the same seller. I was told it should be ok , I don't know anyone else growing it in Sydney . 

Thanks Steve,,,

They should be seedling perhaps, not sure? be honest with you I am not sure up to which size we refer seedling...anyway they should be from the same source in ebay in qld...

If they are small( seedling) do you suggest I pot them up and wait for next year?

did you put your marojejya insignis in ground or pot?

Hi Mohsen . If they are small I would pot them up and grow them on . If they are like 2 leaf seedlings they would get lost in the garden. 

I have not planted my marojejya insignis yet . But I do intend to, I still  am deciding where to put it, I am running out of room.

we had a trip to Queenland 2 weeks ago for a plant buying trip. So I could buy them a bit larger if possible.

l

• Upvote 1

recived them in a cylindrical tube container ...bare root in wet peat moss sphagnum...I soaked them for 1 hour in seaweed solution ...

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

• Upvote 3

Hi Mohsen. How exciting when they arrive. Palms look good. Looks like you had a late night. It's amazing how many can fit in a postal tube.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2016, 7:15:56, knell said:

Mohsen you are certainly ambitious, that is a really good purchase and great pictures! Are these from ebay?

Knell, I would buy more if I was not afraid of my wife :sick:...yes, all from ebay...not sure how many of them will actually survive here though ...

• Upvote 5

On 2/18/2016, 1:56:39, Palms4Steve said:

Hi Mohsen. How exciting when they arrive. Palms look good. Looks like you had a late night. It's amazing how many can fit in a postal tube.

Yes, very exiting...but I had to go somewhere so I could only start potting from 9:30 PM , it took near 1:00 AM ...I amazed too how many was in that tube too:)

Nice collection.  I live in a part of Florida with a somewhat Brisbane climate, so can't help with Sydney, whose climate seems unlike anything in the US, except maybe somewhere around San Francisco.  

I do have a couple of Lepidozamia peroffskyana in the yard.  One has been reluctant to grow and may be suffering a nutrient deficiency at the moment.  The other was a $20 marvel.  I'm hoping for two or three new leaves this spring.  A number of the Ceratozamia cycads thrive in cultivation, and considering that there's species from different climates/altitudes, I'd expect several must be popular in your area.  

• Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

On 10/19/2015, 9:18:09, Mohsen said:

my Lepidozamia is having new fronds :)

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

update : 23-2-2016

I really like this Cycad, specially when new fron is emerging...since then this  had 4 full frond and each one bigger/taller the previous one :)

IMG_5155.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2016, 1:15:25, Mohsen said:

update of Ravenea rivularis : 9-2-2016

also my shows for scale for future , it getting fat since got it to ground from pot almost 3  month ago )

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

MY Ravenea rivularis - 15-3-2016- It is having one new frond every 4-5 weeks...

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5266.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

• Upvote 2

the only palm in the property I haven't planted  ...

Syagrus romanzoffiana...

I am sure what gonna happen to it as it seems there is no place for its trunk beside  the fence?! should I remove it or leave it?

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5273(1).JPG

IMG_5277.JPG

19 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

I would remove it.

Thanks Steve

as it is in a no access place, I will need to cut it I guess... I rather don't do that but if I have to then I will do it ...

On 2/20/2016, 8:31:17, Mohsen said:

Recieved 2X Hedyscepes  and 1X Rhopalostylis Chatham :) Thanks to Troy :)

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5114.JPG

Troy ( @Tassie_Troy1971 ) , should I plant them in to ground or better leave them in the pot and wait till next year...