IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

Today I noticed that there are some marks on fronds of my Ravenea rivularis...it is under full sun but I am not sure that is the cause ? new frond seems perfectly green...is it a fungus or insects? deficiency ? should I take any action?

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4192.JPG

1 minute ago, Mohsen said:

Today I noticed that there are some marks on fronds of my Ravenea rivularis...it is under full sun but I am not sure that is the cause ? new frond seems perfectly green...is it a fungus or insects? deficiency ? should I take any action?

Looks like sun burnt to me. If the new fronds are not burnt I think it’s okay.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I just received my Normanbya normanbyi seedling which I bought from eBay 2 days ago ,it was very quick so hopefully it will be back to normal soon...

I have seen one in Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, I hope they will thrive in my area as well...

They are very similar to Wodyetia bifurcata...I hope what I bought is actually Normanbya normanbyi...it seems Normanbya normanbyi cant be plant in full sun while young unlike Wodyetia bifurcata?

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

• Upvote 1

You rarely see any of these in Sydney. But they can grow here. I have one growing, it is in a lot of shade. It's been in the ground for a few years and seems to be growing well. Your palm looks right to me.

• Upvote 1

:interesting:

Always fun to watch the birth of a palm addict. How about some overall pictures of your yard.....these will be interesting to compare to in a few years. 

Pal....I'm always suprised at what you are growing so well inside....your like a magician that keeps pulling more and more colored scarves out of a hat.

• Upvote 2

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I agree with David. Do not do same mistakes other have done before.  Keep a picture record from the very beginning of youe effort for a before and after comparison. It also hides some nostalgy in the old pictures:rolleyes:

Edited by Phoenikakias

19 hours ago, Alicehunter2000 said:

:interesting:

Always fun to watch the birth of a palm addict. How about some overall pictures of your yard.....these will be interesting to compare to in a few years. 

Pal....I'm always suprised at what you are growing so well inside....your like a magician that keeps pulling more and more colored scarves out of a hat.

Thanks David, I suppose you can consider me one P addict now...

unfortunately I don't have the best available options to grow palm here, almost all full sun, rocky/clay site with poor drainage but I am trying:

you can see the current state of the property ...hopefully they will grow in coming year to nice specimen ( or at least some of them) :

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/47403-need-helpadvise-which-where-i-should-plant-palms/&page=2

20 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

You rarely see any of these in Sydney. But they can grow here. I have one growing, it is in a lot of shade. It's been in the ground for a few years and seems to be growing well. Your palm looks right to me.

Thanks Steve, do you have any photo of that , that would be great to see yours...I assume Normanbya normanbyi needs more shade than Wodyetia bifurcata?

18 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve, do you have any photo of that , that would be great to see yours...I assume Normanbya normanbyi needs more shade than Wodyetia bifurcata?

Here's a photo of my Normanbya normanbyi.  Apparently they need shade at an early age and then they can take more sun as they get older.  

IMG_9668.JPG

• Upvote 3

It looks nice Steve :)

do you have any Wodyetia bifurcata? if yes, is it in full sun? I have a small one and it is in full sun ( till 1 pm) :crying:, it is burnt a bit but is opening a new spear so hopefully is acclimated to there now...

BTW, which suburb are you in?

56680cf4dadd8_2015-12-0918.23.01.thumb.jpg.ca2f5a561b48b9e664f593ca06ca17ce.jpg

34 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

It looks nice Steve :)

do you have any Wodyetia bifurcata? if yes, is it in full sun? I have a small one and it is in full sun ( till 1 pm) :crying:, it is burnt a bit but is opening a new spear so hopefully is acclimated to there now...

BTW, which suburb are you in?

56680cf4dadd8_2015-12-0918.23.01.thumb.jpg.ca2f5a561b48b9e664f593ca06ca17ce.jpg

Yes I do have a wodyetia bifurcata. It is in mostly full sun. They do a lot better in full sun. Yours will come good. I am in Gymea Bay.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Yes I do have a wodyetia bifurcata. It is in mostly full sun. They do a lot better in full sun. Yours will come good. I am in Gymea Bay.

Thanks Steve, I think you should have a better climate for palms than here...I am a bit worry about winter too...

I'd love to come and see your garden one day in future if possible :)

Mohsen, according to David Jones (Palms in Australia) the foxtail palm in its natural habitat grows usually  among GRANITE BOULDERS, where it gets very hot, therefore you sould not worry about a to exposed spot  but rather about a to shady one, which has not excellent drainage and  is not hot enough! We tend to overlook usually such first hand information given in old books, which however makes the big difference in cultivation.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

Mohsen, according to David Jones (Palms in Australia) the foxtail palm in its natural habitat grows usually  among GRANITE BOULDERS, where it gets very hot, therefore you sould not worry about a to exposed spot  but rather about a to shady one, which has not excellent drainage and  is not hot enough! We tend to overlook usually such first hand information given in old books, which however makes the big difference in cultivation.

Thanks Konstantinos

I could have planted it into real all day full sun if I knew it would be best for it ...this location will get only morning - till 1pm sun...

my drainage is not excellent as the hole area is in rock/clay so we will see ...

9 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve, I think you should have a better climate for palms than here...I am a bit worry about winter too...

I'd love to come and see your garden one day in future if possible :)

Ok . Garden needs a good clean up. Will love to have you visit in the future. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got myself a "Wodyetia bifurcata " ,

get it home with difficult in my sedan car :

It was in full sun in nursery so hopefully will be fine in its full sun home :) , the only worry will be winter :(

surprisingly I haven't seen even one Foxtail palm in Sydney so far , I hope that doesn't mean some tried and failed ...we will see ...

One question though...How Wodyetia bifurcata  is water demand? needs water a lot like "Archontophoenix cunninghamiana" or not?

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

• Upvote 5

I'm surprised you haven't seen any in Sydney as there is one at the entrance to the Botanic Gardens when you approach from the Australian Museum. It is fairly young but trunking.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pip said:

I'm surprised you haven't seen any in Sydney as there is one at the entrance to the Botanic Gardens when you approach from the Australian Museum. It is fairly young but trunking.

Pip, I think I have seen that one...bur nothing else in any   other suburbs ?

Could they grow in Adelaide ?

Mohsen, you have forgotten about my two, but there was over 70 to remember. One about 20' with about 10' of trunk, in the sun,

and the other only a fraction of the size crowded in the understory shade, the same age less than 10 years.

wod (1).JPG

wod (2).JPG

wod (3).JPG

• Upvote 3

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Mohsen the council at marourbra has planted them in the medium strip on one of the main streets near the shopping centre years ago. They are a good size and have flowered and produced seed. Yours looks good. Will be happy now, in the ground.

21 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Mohsen the council at marourbra has planted them in the medium strip on one of the main streets near the shopping centre years ago. They are a good size and have flowered and produced seed. Yours looks good. Will be happy now, in the ground.

Thanks Steve for the info ...so it should thrive in Sydney :)

21 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Pip, I think I have seen that one...bur nothing else in any   other suburbs ?

Could they grow in Adelaide ?

They can grow in Adelaide but are challenging as Adelaide has mostly alkaline clay soil. I've grew one for about ten years but it was a victim to the 2007, 2008, 2009 drought. It never looked very good. There is one large decent example growing on Port Rd heading into Port Adelaide. There a few other nice but smaller ones about the inner northern suburbs.

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2016, 7:37:18, gtsteve said:

Mohsen, you have forgotten about my two, but there was over 70 to remember. One about 20' with about 10' of trunk, in the sun,

and the other only a fraction of the size crowded in the understory shade, the same age less than 10 years.

Oh, Of course...how could I forget ...I remembered they were very happy but interestingly on ewas very smaller the other...So Foxtail would thrive in Sydney...so It is a poor taste and of course lack of knowledge the reason why they are not popular here...also it is almost impossible to see them in Bunning or any other normal nursery ...I was lucky I could find one in Palmland...I wanted to get the bigger ones but was not possible to carry with my Sedan car...I hope one day mine be as magnificent as yours :)

I grow up to now in the much more challenging climate of mine sucssfully some specimens in pot using big pumice and subsequently filling gaps (wth finer and equally light particles of a soil mixture containing perlite, coir and pine bark chips.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2016, 1:34:29, Mohsen said:

I just received my Normanbya normanbyi seedling which I bought from eBay 2 days ago ,it was very quick so hopefully it will be back to normal soon...

I have seen one in Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, I hope they will thrive in my area as well...

They are very similar to Wodyetia bifurcata...I hope what I bought is actually Normanbya normanbyi...it seems Normanbya normanbyi cant be plant in full sun while young unlike Wodyetia bifurcata?

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

I put my small Normanbya normanbyi  in ground today...not a perfect location nor spacious but hopefully better pot...the shade sail should provide shade ...my main worry is the winter ... :( 

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2016 4:37:31, Mohsen said:

other views :

IMG_4389.JPG

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

IMG_4382.JPG

Very nice. Your yard is  becoming a palmy place quickly. 

Do you have a poolman? Or do you care for it yourself? I clean pools for a living... looks like yours might have ran out of chlorine with the high heat or something.

Btw my foxtails drink alot of water during summer. Kinda like my royal palms. But want to be on the dry side during the cold.

• Upvote 1

thanks Dani...after 3 days of heavy rain the pool turned to black , I am working on it to make it  clear again :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I made the decision and replaced L.Nitida with Kentiopsis oliviformis ...I put L.Nitida in Pot before finding its right location in ground...

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810(1).JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

• Upvote 3

It might be nearly time to split off some of those Dicksonias. 

Too many heads and it will probably just get messy.

And while I am giving decorating advice,

you could leave the pool as it is and just add some big green native frogs.  

Cheers Steve

On 2/6/2016, 9:39:30, gtsteve said:

It might be nearly time to split off some of those Dicksonias. 

Too many heads and it will probably just get messy.

And while I am giving decorating advice,

you could leave the pool as it is and just add some big green native frogs.  

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Very good advice! :greenthumb:

Thanks for the advise...how can I do that ?

I don't know the proper way Mo, but I just saw them off level with the trunk,

and stick them in the ground somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

On 12/5/2015, 2:31:47, Mohsen said:

I put it in ground ... In canopy of pine tree so only getting part sun/ shade...

i read it will take 30 years to form a trunk , no worries I will wait :)

image.jpg

update : this has a new frond and also a new small spear :)

IMG_5009.JPG

• Upvote 3

On 9/22/2015, 2:09:07, Mohsen said:

Re potting day : My small Kentia and Majesty Palms

ssssss.jpg

update of Ravenea rivularis : 9-2-2016

also my shows for scale for future , it getting fat since got it to ground from pot almost 3  month ago )

IMG_5030.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2015, 1:25:03, Mohsen said:

IMG_2859.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

IMG_2857.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2855(1).JPG

update Bizzie : 9-2-2016...

after 4 month it has 4 new frond...but I expect them become bigger each time but they are almost the same size so far...cant wait for the mature magnificent silvery fans...

IMG_5026.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5029.JPG

• Upvote 2