IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

Thanks Pal for the informative sketches... I think mine is at stage C? I was afraid it is very sensitive to sun and I brought it inside ...

Mohsen, could you describe me your climate please?

From my particular experience, rhopalostylils are not suitable to healthily grow indoors. Mainly the sapida, they are temperamental palms, quite prone to stress when staying too much time in pots, when not appropriately watered. So, i would put it outdoors, in a sheltered position, watering it enoughly, until you decide where and when to plant it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rafael said:

Mohsen, could you describe me your climate please?

From my particular experience, rhopalostylils are not suitable to healthily grow indoors. Mainly the sapida, they are temperamental palms, quite prone to stress when staying too much time in pots, when not appropriately watered. So, i would put it outdoors, in a sheltered position, watering it enoughly, until you decide where and when to plant it.

Thanks Rafael

In "25 kilometers north-west of the Sydney central business district"...we have winter very mild almost always above  0 very very rare -1, -2 oC... Summer 30-38 ...but mostly at night cooler...I don't know exactly which zone we should be considered  10a, 9b?

the main reason I brought it inside was it is difficult to find a place has all day shade as I have heard even some depletes of sun would scorch it ?

http://www.australia.com/en/facts/weather/sydney-weather.html

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/about-sydney/weather-and-climate

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Rafael

In "25 kilometers north-west of the Sydney central business district"...we have winter very mild almost always above  0 very very rare -1, -2 oC... Summer 30-38 ...but mostly at night cooler...I don't know exactly which zone we should be considered  10a, 9b?

the main reason I brought it inside was it is difficult to find a place has all day shade as I have heard even some depletes of sun would scorch it ?

http://www.australia.com/en/facts/weather/sydney-weather.html

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/about-sydney/weather-and-climate

The sun damage depends if the palm is greenhouse grown, not yet acclimatized to sunlight, and if it is well watered (and, off course, also the pot size counts a lot, as a bigger one allows better root expansion and water retention).

When i have some new tender palms, i usually put them below bigger palms dense canopy, next to a overcrowded, moist and shaded spot i have.

Considering your description, i think you are in a solid zone 10a. Mine is a solid and warm zone 9b ;)

Edited by Rafael
  • Upvote 4

Thanks Rafael

I thought Sapida don't like sun at all and deep shade ...I can place it on Deck where it received sun through the transparent plastic roof...I got this from @gtsteve and it was in pot in his garden but shady I guess...

5 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Rafael

I thought Sapida don't like sun at all and deep shade ...I can place it on Deck where it received sun through the transparent plastic roof...I got this from @gtsteve and it was in pot in his garden but shady I guess...

The rhopalostylils sapida can handle a sunny position, after well acclimatized, but prefers and looks better on filtered light spots.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2015, 3:59:23, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal for the informative sketches... I think mine is at stage C? I was afraid it is very sensitive to sun and I brought it inside ...

Pal, I had a closer look today and I might have stage d ?

Untitled.png

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pal

When I got it from @gtsteve it was in a pot 14cm Diameter X 14cm Depth...I re potted it to a 20X20 cm one. should I re-pot it again or that is big enough ( the root was long to the end of the 14cm dept and was out of the drainage holes so I had to cut some in order to get it out of the pot)

Edited by Mohsen
confused with other pot

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal

When I got it from @gtsteve it was in a pot 14cm Diameter X 14cm Depth...I re potted it to a 20X20 cm one. should I re-pot it again or that is big enough ( the root was long to the end of the 14cm dept and was out of the drainage holes so I had to cut some in order to get it out of the pot)

Have a look if the palm grows away from the centre to the margin. At the latest when it approaches the margin it has to be re-potted.

• Upvote 1

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

On 12/2/2015, 2:40:02, Pal Meir said:

Have a look if the palm grows away from the centre to the margin. At the latest when it approaches the margin it has to be re-potted.

Or maybe I plant it directly to ground? I think I have a place half shade under our pine tree, not sure about drainage though :(

I put it in ground ... In canopy of pine tree so only getting part sun/ shade...

i read it will take 30 years to form a trunk , no worries I will wait :)

image.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mohsen said:

I put it in ground ... In canopy of pine tree so only getting part sun/ shade...

Maybe a good decision: "In the palm Rhopalostylis the seedling initially grows more or less vertically downward to a depth of about 20 cm and subsequently it turns through almost 180° and adopts its final, erect position." (Tomlinson & Esler 1973)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mohsen said:

You need not wait 30 years: "Plants are generally slow growing and do not form a trunk before they are fifteen years old, nor flower until about thirty years of age.“ (Jones 1994)

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2015, 8:41:22, Pal Meir said:

You need not wait 30 years: "Plants are generally slow growing and do not form a trunk before they are fifteen years old, nor flower until about thirty years of age.“ (Jones 1994)

That's comforting Pal , will wait 15 years ;)...hopefully if it makes it :)

@gtsteve,

Hi Steve

I know you told me what was the type of this beauty but I forgot, if you remember we had to dig this out from ground as the root was out of pot  , could you please let me know what was its name ? it open a new spear :)

IMG_4049.JPG

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2015, 6:41:22, Pal Meir said:

With the totality claim immanent in this statement I can only disagree with all available determination. A Brahea armata is not famous for its speed of growth, yet mine bloomed for the first time at the age of 20 years.

20 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

Yes easy to grow in Sydney. They are stunning with new red fronds.

Thanks Steve, are they suitable to full sun? it seems we have two different types, how can I tell which type I have?

16 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

With the totality claim immanent in this statement I can only disagree with all available determination. A Brahea armata is not famous for its speed of growth, yet mine bloomed for the first time at the age of 20 years.

My comment and that statement belong to an article by Jones on Rhopalostylis sapida. :P

18 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

Pal, in that case things are put in their correct dimension and my respect to D J's authority was rescued.:mellow: 

Thank you, ευχαριστώ πολύ! :)

PS: My Chamaedorea elegans bloomed already 3 years after germination. :D

On 10/20/2015, 6:41:59, Mohsen said:

planting a Archontophoenix alexandrae in driveway after separating...I hope the separated ones survive in pot ...

before separation :

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

Hi Mohsen

Archontophoenix alexandrae grow in shade in creek beds in habitat from Yeppoon north  in Queensland. The grow through the canopy and require high humidity and wet feet to look their best. You probably have noticed many around Sydney have shredded leaves when exposed due to the lower humidity and dryer ground most people grow them in,

They will need a lot of water to reduce this, especially if they are in full Sun

regards

colin

• Upvote 1

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

16 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve, are they suitable to full sun? it seems we have two different types, how can I tell which type I have?

I think they can handle full sun when they are larger , but not sure at this size. I have all mine in semi sun. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Palms4Steve said:

I think they can handle full sun when they are larger , but not sure at this size. I have all mine in semi sun. 

Thanks Steve...issue with our property is that almost all available ground getting almost full sun :( 

2 hours ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Steve...issue with our property is that almost all available ground getting almost full sun :( 

You could plant some cyathea cooperi tree ferns which are fast growing to give you some canopy , and chop them out later if you don't want them.

• Upvote 1

bought myself a Chamaedorea metallica yesterday ...it seems the media is only pure peat moss+ Coir? is it a recommended media for this palm? it seems the media can hold lots of water in it ...so my guess is to water it maybe only once a week?

also wanted to buy a pair but it seems they were selling only male ones :( 

anyone have a pretty lady one? I am happy to propose for my handsome one :) 

IMG_4097(1).JPG

IMG_4096(1).JPG

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

bought myself a Chamaedorea metallica yesterday ...it seems the media is only pure peat moss+ Coir? is it a recommended media for this palm? it seems the media can hold lots of water in it ...so my guess is to water it maybe only once a week?

also wanted to buy a pair but it seems they were selling only male ones :( 

anyone have a pretty lady one? I am happy to propose for my handsome one :) 

Ch. metallica is happy with almost any medium. Don’t overwater, but how often you will water it, depends on the healthiness of your palm and the weather. – That nurseries don’t sell females is their policy so that you can‘t get your own seeds … :P If you want a lady you have to grow the palms from seeds and hope that there will be some ladies among them.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Ch. metallica is happy with almost any medium. Don’t overwater, but how often you will water it, depends on the healthiness of your palm and the weather. – That nurseries don’t sell females is their policy so that you can‘t get your own seeds … :P If you want a lady you have to grow the palms from seeds and hope that there will be some ladies among them.

That's interesting Pal, so they should not sell half of their palms ...what are they doing with them :huh:...I am not sure that there are too many patient ones like us to grow palms from seeds anyway ;)

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

That's interesting Pal, so they should not sell half of their palms ...what are they doing with them :huh:...I am not sure that there are too many patient ones like us to grow palms from seeds anyway ;)

"What are they doing?" They are harvesting the seeds from the female trees, grow the seeds to big palms, and sell only the male palms to people who don’t have so much time (but much money) to grow palms from seeds. :D

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2015, 5:29:19, Pal Meir said:

"What are they doing?" They are harvesting the seeds from the female trees, grow the seeds to big palms, and sell only the male palms to people who don’t have so much time (but much money) to grow palms from seeds. :D

or maybe they kill the female ones :crying:...is there any way they could tell the sex before any palms flower / fruit ...maybe ultrasound like human  :lol:

I have a male and a female, out of sheer luck. In fact, I bought the first one (the female) 2 years before I bought the male. I have 1 seed hanging on right now which I will plant when it ripens (the fruit must be black)......... 

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

8 minutes ago, John Case said:

I have a male and a female, out of sheer luck. In fact, I bought the first one (the female) 2 years before I bought the male. I have 1 seed hanging on right now which I will plant when it ripens (the fruit must be black)......... 

If you are lucky you can make many children as these two (pinnate) Ch. metallica did: :wub: (PS: Both palms were grown from seed and not purchased as plants from a nursery.)

5672d9182f42c_Chamaedoreametallicapinnat

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

If you are lucky you can make many children as these two (pinnate) Ch. metallica did: :wub: (PS: Both palms were grown from seed and not purchased as plants from a nursery.)

5672d9182f42c_Chamaedoreametallicapinnat

Very nice...mine are your typical bifids......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"