IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

MY OWN PALMS...

Mohsen

With the permission of Forum admins , I would like to open this page . I know I am newbie and armature in experience and knowledge compare to the others here but I want to bring all my palms ( only few I have in pots or ground ) and will update them so I could track my progress and I might look back  learn from my mistakes...

Of course I will appreciate any comments as well :)

• Upvote 1

Welcome on Palmtalk, Mohsen, I am sure you'll join IPS soon.

And certainly your Dypsis and your Livistona  you show us will appreciate being in a garden.
I am almost ignorant about Sydney's climate but other Palmtalk friends will help you. :)

• Upvote 1

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Thanks Philippe ... I have already been receiving help and good advises ...great Forum , I am glad I am here ...I have another Livistona in  garden but my wife likes this as a houseplant at least before it becomes bigger ... I will put Dypsis in garden...just searching a good location ....

• 4 weeks later...

Today I went to Palmland, the only nursuery in Sydney only selling palms ...

I bought one "chamaedorea atrovirens" which I intend to keep inside and one "Trachycarpus fortunei" which will keep outdoor and will plant in ground when I find a suitable place...

I wanted to buy others like "Licuala elegans" , "Licuala ramsayi ","Butia capitata" ( which I dont know why was green ) and "Beccariophoenix alfredii" but they were extremely expensive ( more than $130.00) for the smallest size :(

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

• Upvote 1

Beccariophoenix alfredii isn't very common yet, so I'd expect nurseries to sell them for premium prices. I have a few sprouts potted up and waiting for more seeds to germinate I bought seed from Rare Palm Seeds. If you buy small packets then they sail through quarantine but if you buy commercial quantities you'll wait up to three months for the seed to reach you. 

• Upvote 1

Beccariophoenix alfredii isn't very common yet, so I'd expect nurseries to sell them for premium prices. I have a few sprouts potted up and waiting for more seeds to germinate I bought seed from Rare Palm Seeds. If you buy small packets then they sail through quarantine but if you buy commercial quantities you'll wait up to three months for the seed to reach you. 

thanks Pip

how many seeds and how much cost you ? How long did it take to get them to you?they look great palms .

Different to Tr. wagnerianus its sister Tr. fortunei doesn’t like wind. Give it a wind protected corner in your garden. – I gave away last May these two 12 years old Tr. fortunei because their leaves were destroyed last winter by the stormy weather here. :violin:

Trachycarpus_fortunei_2015-05-04.thumb.j

• Upvote 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I have cleaned my driveway and now I might be able some palms there, it gets full sun, what is your best suggestion which types I plant?

planting a Archontophoenix alexandrae in driveway after separating...I hope the separated ones survive in pot ...

before separation :

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

Edited by Mohsen

Those Alex palms will be just fine, make sure you keep the water up to them. 

If you want beccariophienix alfreidii , Licuala elegans etc at a decent price I will help you with that. 

Ben ( Palms For Brisbane )

• Upvote 1

Those Alex palms will be just fine, make sure you keep the water up to them. 

If you want beccariophienix alfreidii , Licuala elegans etc at a decent price I will help you with that. 

Ben ( Palms For Brisbane )

Thanks Ben

I am preparing a list and will let you have it by email soon.

20150415_123109.thumb.jpg.59aeec09ec5d80

I planted this clump of  Archontopheonix alexandrea when I was 14. I would water them by hand every day after school during warm/hot/scorching  weather. They have to make do with much less now. Luckily Dad likes to keep his lawn green.

• Upvote 5

20150415_123109.thumb.jpg.59aeec09ec5d80

I planted this clump of  Archontopheonix alexandrea when I was 14. I would water them by hand every day after school during warm/hot/scorching  weather. They have to make do with much less now. Luckily Dad likes to keep his lawn green.

:greenthumb::)

• 2 weeks later...

Mohsen, you can plant fast growing things like hakea, grevillea and Murraya to protect your young palms outside until they are big enough.

Then just pull them out when not needed. PM sent.

Steve

• Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

Thanks Liz & Steve for the suggestion

Are they going to be easily removed?

I have already 2 hakea I guess which I plant one small Alexandra between ...I also thought they would take all the soil resources as well so will give tough competition to the small palms ?!

Mohsen

I don't know about Murraya but natives are not heavy feeders. They are adapted to poor soil usually.

They will give more benefit through shade and protection than competition. 

a sprinkling of 'blood and bone' occasionally will keep the nutrients up to the palms

Removal? They vary, some are tougher than others, you can sometimes pull them out by hand,

and sometimes you need a maddock and saw.   

Edited by gtsteve
  • Upvote 1

Cheers Steve

I thought "Livistona chinensis" is very slow grower but this one grows noticeable as a houseplant :

first pic 2 month ago,  other 2 pics  now :

6-8-2015.jpg

IMG_3173.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

my neighbor kindly gave me two palms which he dragged out from garden yesterday ( and probably killed them anyway as the root was not covered since yesterday) I re-pot them temporarily and  water with seaweed solution...one I think is Archontophoenix cunninghamiana or Alexandre  but not sure about the others , I hope it is not "Syagrus romanzoffiana" :(

IMG_3186.JPG

Yep sure does. And you can tell if the other one is a Bangalow or a Alex by looking under the leaf,

the bangalow looks the same as the top, but the alex is more silvery gray underneath.

Cheers Steve

Bangalow palms have little fuz running longitudinally accross the  underside of the leaflets. There are varieties of Trachycarpus fortunei with very soft segments and thus leaves very intolerant to wind and other varieties with much more rigid leaves.;

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just visited Steve's nice garden and he gave me few nice seedlings and seeds ... really appreciate it Steve, it was a great tour , you have beautiful garden with many fantastic species  :)

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG

• Upvote 1

I jus noticed today something is behind the leaves of my Kentia ? What is it ? Insects, Fungus ?i wiped them but not sure if they will come back again ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Update on my Bizzie , second frond is opening ...I expect they get longer but they are very compact so far...probably I need to give its time ...

IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3856.JPG

• Upvote 2

Thanks to Steve who kindly gave me this beautiful  "Rhopalostylis sapida" ...it has an interesting stem...it seems it has an attached twin  ?!,,,

Is this normal? will it thrive here in Sydney ?How can I tell which type I have as it seems we have  more than one type of "Rhopalostylis sapida  " ?

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

Edited by Mohsen

25 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks to Steve who kindly gave me this beautiful  "Rhopalostylis sapida" ...it has an interesting stem...it seems it has an attached twin  ?!,,,

Is this normal? will it thrive here in Sydney ?How can I tell which type I have as it seems we have  more than one type of "Rhopalostylis sapida  " ?

I can’t detect on your photo a second spear or something similar … :huh: ???

1 hour ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Pal, there is no second spear ( yet?) but two leaves joined the stem in irregular shape ( arrowed) ?

Rhopalostylis seedlings grow at first like Sabal at a slant downwards, so they look asymmetrical. There are some older threads with photos of seedlings.

• Upvote 1