IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis carlsmithii So Cal

Gtlevine

My Carlsmithii is over the top of my house now, really going strong.

image.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 10

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

looking Good Gary..Nicely grown!! :greenthumb:

I'm going to plant my big 20 gal next week.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Two of mine are knee high. Gary, yours is gorgeous. Was it vigorous from the start or did it take a while to get moving?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I have a 5 gall plant that made it through the winter last year.... it will prob go into the ground next feb.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I saw this in a number of gardens in the Hilo area earlier this year. It was without a doubt the most consistently impressive Dypsis I saw. 

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Two of mine are knee high. Gary, yours is gorgeous. Was it vigorous from the start or did it take a while to get moving?

it was always a slow but steady grower, but you can definately see it pick up steam each year.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Best in full sun?

I've never been able to get them to grow. Do they have special requirements?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice!!!!!  Mine are doing well, but I think they're just slowing down due to lack of full sun

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Pretty frickin Sweet Gary!!

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The base of this palm is actually bigger than it looks.

Sunset zone 24

• 7 months later...

Is it still there or has it moved to Josh's?

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

17 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Is it still there or has it moved to Josh's?

still there :P

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 5 months later...

Mohsen, its on the north side of Gary's house which means it gets less winter dry sun. Really only summer sun which has a bit more humidity. I would think your sunlight allowance is relative to your average humidity. More humidity allows more sun.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mohsen,

I planted out one twice that size as the one in your picture and its starting to burn in 1/2 winter sun. It will probably take a couple years for it to fully acclimate with our dry conditions. This palm is very pale in color and is susceptible to burning in the sun even at a large size when planted. they take some time yet to fully acclimate. out side of the tropics they also seem to brown tip a lot. :(

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Josh and Bill

i thought the summer blazing full sun than Winter full sun?

BTW, do you consider Carlsmitii more sensitive to full sun compare to Dypsis.Lepto and Foxtails? I have them both in full sun and they seem OK ( so far)...

It won't have a problem in the sun Mohsen....... it's been growing unprotected for 2 years. Much tougher than leptocheilos 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Kennybenjamin said:

It won't have a problem in the sun Mohsen....... it's been growing unprotected for 2 years. Much tougher than leptocheilos 

Thanks Ben, happy to hear that, BTW, How old is it from seed if you remember?

3 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

If I was to have a guess..... at least 12 likely15

Interesting , thanks Ben, BTW how tall it is ?

• 1 month later...

Insert other media

On 9/20/2015, 11:21:36, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

I have a 5 gall plant that made it through the winter last year.... it will prob go into the ground next feb.

I'm interested to know if yours ever went in the ground, and if so, how it's going now Jeff. 

My best and fastest big boy palms. Once it gets to 25 gallon size it really takes off especially in full Honolulu sun and lots of daily water. A bit on the slow side when young. Mine seeded with less than a foot of fat trunk. 

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, Matt in OC said:

Any SoCal culture observations? Mine in the ground is soooo slow!

Agree Matt......slow and as a matter of fact it was so slow I removed it and gave the palm away.

On 1/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, Matt in OC said:

Any SoCal culture observations? Mine in the ground is soooo slow!

I’ve got two in the ground up here in the Bay Area that I planted three years ago and I get two new leaves in the summer on each and not much else. I’m patient though as the larger of the two (almost 3 feet tall) is showing signs of speeding up as it’s putting out a new leaf in winter, something it hasn’t done before. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

On 1/29/2019 at 6:37 AM, Palm Tree Jim said:

Agree Matt......slow and as a matter of fact it was so slow I removed it and gave the palm away.

Are these as slow as CIDP/B.alfredii? Or J. Chinensis?

I have 4 seedlings from Floribunda. I think it was late November/early December of last year when they arrived. 

15488827037956958623399452929044.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Bump. Just found a good sized 15g one. Not the prettiest looking plant right now, pale color and lots of brown tipping. But it was growing pretty exposed outside and tons of roots coming out of holes. I’m ready to plant it and it’s ready to be planted. 

Looking for some inspiration from other so cal gardens. Or anywhere else. SCFCFA618-8A75-4A5C-BD6C-4CD18E58AE19.thumb.jpeg.d9a05519a0a391f4852a36631ba1cb4b.jpego if you got any pics or advice, I’d love to hear it.

• Like 2

Loves water and sun.

Get it in the ground to throw roots out.

That might need shade cloth first Summer to get going.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks. Think I’m going to plant it fairly soon. Kinda hammered looking right now but roots busting out like crazy.

And I think you have one? Would love to see a pic if possible :greenthumb: