IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

SoCal Pseudophoenix sargentii with ripe seed.

LJG

I thought this was pretty cool and an example of how much palms enjoyed one of the warmest winters in history in San Diego. My Pseudophoenix sargentii has been flowering for years. But each winter the developing fruit would get hit with a fungus and drop off the plant. It is too cold for the fruit to ripen and just like the plant itself, the process from flowering to ripe seed is rather slow here. It won't happen in one season. The plant below pushed this flower June of 2014. Here it was recently with ripe seed. It took almost 16 months to get here. I float tested some and they sunk. :)

image.jpg

Edited by LJG
  • Upvote 3

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great Len!  I have a couple of these in the ground for ten years but aren´t even close to that size...and your seeds sunk, Conratulations!

Peter

Edited by Peter Pacific
spelling error

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Nice!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Very cool, Len. I feel at home. But I will tell you, their not the easiest seed to germinate. I would use some bottom heat if possible.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

awesome Len!!

That pseudo is a beef cake for sure..

Keep us posted on its germination success..:greenthumb:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Time to spread the seed in a DoomsDave image!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thanks for the comments all. I will get some photos of the palm tomorrow. It is a really cool form with twisting leaves. 

Jeff, thanks for the info on tough germination. I am sending the seed to Tri's brother here that has a greenhouse that is 90-100 each day. Hopefully we get something. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the comments all. I will get some photos of the palm tomorrow. It is a really cool form with twisting leaves. 

Jeff, thanks for the info on tough germination. I am sending the seed to Tri's brother here that has a greenhouse that is 90-100 each day. Hopefully we get something. 

You mentioned Tri.  Two weeks ago I got a random call from somebody that claimed he had some unusual palms in the yard and was thinking about giving some away or maybe selling any. He had a couple that caught my attention. So I drove over later that day and to much surprise, it was Tri's old house. The new homeowner ( one year now) was ripping some junk out and basically cleaning out and thinning some things away. And it was Tri's old house! The water feature still was up and running and most of the palms were still there and looked pretty good. We had a nice talk and I gave him a little history on the yard.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hopefully he keeps a few of Tri's plans. He had some large, rare ones in the ground. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin