IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty palm (Ravenea rivularis) in garden?

Mohsen

Hi All

I have a rather small Majesty palm (Ravenea rivularis) in pot and I am not sure I should plant in ground or keep in pot ( perhaps repot as roots are coming out of the pot) ?

Could you please let me have the photo or any experiences you've had specially in your garden ?

How big they will be ( area needed) ? and also our site is getting full sun for all day ( in Sydney) , should I wait more years so it would grow to stand full sun?

attached is mine in pot

sws.jpg

sas.jpg

20141214_172943.thumb.jpg.06af7469395ecfThis is one I planted at about the same size as yours close to 20 years ago. The position offers shade from western sun. It would be much taller if I'd watered it more or planted it in Sydney with at least twice the rainfall Adelaide  recieves. The lawn slopes down towards it so it does get some extra run off.20150430_130606.thumb.jpg.e22338359dbb1aHere are a few more Raveanea rivularis growing along a swale in the Waite Arboretum in Adelaide  sorry not Sydney but it shows the chunky look of the trunk. Basically the more water this palm gets the fatter the trunk will be.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Pip

Great information and photo ...

I thought they are fast growers and in 20 years they will be taller...but as you said it might be lack of enough water, rain and humidity and I assume they could be even happier with more rain and humidity in Sydney compare to Adelaide...

So the full sun shouldn't be any problem?

and approximately how wide this is ? it should and be as wide as Phoenix canariensis ?

also do they have invasive root ? I might plant it near some fruit trees 3 -4 meter away .

When I planted that palm I was only about 14 and really didn't know much about plant nutrition or pests. For the first few years that Ravenea rivularis was on the ground  it had a difficult time. Nutritionally they are prone to deficiencies in magnesium causes leaves to turn yellow particularly in winter. Every year slugs and snails would hammer it shredding almost all the leaves. It would take all summer to recover only to be shredded as soon as the cool moist  growing conditions returned in late autumn. Without that bad start I'm pretty sure it would be much taller. 

Their trunks do get chunky but not quite the same proportions as a Phoenix canariensis unless they have access  a ridiculous amount of water and fertilizer.

• Upvote 1

Full sun maybe with a temporary shade structure for a year or so if your worried. I'd expect damage of some kind to the leaves but that won't be anything to worry about. 

• Upvote 1

I'm amazed that palm is almost 20 years old.  These are among the fastest growers here in So. Cal.

As far as sun, they like it.  Sun and water, in the summer I don't think that you could overdue either.

• Upvote 1

That palm was only really looked after by me for 7 years I moved out of my parents home the year I turned 21. It wouldn't have had that much care since then other than me throwing a bit of slow release organic fertilizer at it early spring most years. Most of that garden isn't on any irrigation so relies on hand watering. I was amazed that it actually made it through the droughts 2006 to 2009 as no one was living at the property at all.

This majesty in the Melbourne, Florida area has grown reasonably fast.  

Ravenea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks or all input

It is interesting that I cant see many in Sydney ...from climate I would think it should thrive here...

I might repot it this year and little by little bring in into sun so it will adapt to full sun all day eventually...I also have Kentia inside...I van see some resemblance in fronds and new shoots...