IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Post your most "coconutty" Phoenix Reclinata photos

Sandy Loam

I recall a recent PalmTalk thread in which someone was seeking a cold-hardy substitute for a cocos nucifera.  One response provided by a PalmTalker was "phoenix reclinata".  

In my opinion, phoenix reclinata does not get a "coconutty" look until it is very mature and spreads its trunks out widely.  Below are some examples in photos.

On this thread, please join me in by posting photos showing how a phoenix reclinata can have that much-sought-after coconut look, at least somewhat.  To my taste, the nicest ones are those with tall and arching trunks, often pruned to have only a few spaced-out trunks remaining.   

Here are some examples from a Tampa Bay (Florida) garden that I visited recently.   (click to enlarge photos)  . 

Different fountain, but same garden.  This one has only three trunks and is not as tall, but it is still a nice phoenix reclinata.

phoenix reclinata with 3 trunks.jpg

This is the same garden again.  I couldn't resist sharing this photo of a Streilitzia Nicolai with huge trunks.  Right in front of it, there used to be one of the largest phoenix reclinatas I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, it has been cut down since my visit here a few years ago.  I have never seen such a "coconutty" phoenix reclinata, but it is now gone forever, possibly because of disease. Nearby, there seemed to be a number of diseased phoenix palms, perhaps because of TPPD Texas Phoenix Palm Decline) or some other ailment which causes necrotic fronds.

strelitzia nicolai 1.jpg

great pictures!!

where was this resort / hotel located?

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

Love the look but as I have proven they will not survive our 8b/9a Winters. I was able to keep the center trunk alive for about four years but back to back 18 degree Winters finally killed it. I still have suckers growing but I do not believe I'll ever have a trunking specimen.

Darkman in Pensacola - Looking for cold hardy palms and plants that make Pensacola look tropical

Life - Some assembly required, Side effects frequently experienced, Mileage may vary, As is no warranty, Batteries not included, Instructions shipped separately and are frequently wrong!

Kentucky Bourbon - It may not solve the problem but it helps to make it tolerable!

Statistics - Opinions that analyst twist to support the insanity of those that pay them.

Love the look but as I have proven they will not survive our 8b/9a Winters. I was able to keep the center trunk alive for about four years but back to back 18 degree Winters finally killed it. I still have suckers growing but I do not believe I'll ever have a trunking specimen.

I feel ya. Actually there was a small clump planted in front of the "Destin Commons" shopping center that survived on the barrier island microclimate for awhile: it would get knocked back every other winter or so but was steadily growing and starting to get some height. After 2014 though it finally bit the dust... 

Edited by Opal92

• 3 weeks later...
On Sun Sep 13 00:28:43, Josh-O said:

great pictures!!

great pictures!!

Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Riverfront....nothing fancy, but well-established landscaping from probably the 1980s. Scary collapsed phoenix palms nearby though...many. It didn't bode well for the future of this place or Tampa Bay in general.

were was this resort / hotel located?

great pictures!!

Nowhere fancy -- just the Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Riverwalk, FL.  Nice landscaping from the 1970s though.  Outside the hotel there were loads of collapsed phoenix palms within about a 500 m radius. Scary- doesn't bode well for phoenix in Tampa Bay.

Disneyland has a beauty in Tomorrowland:

565a0cb3af385_disneylandphoenix.jpg.a8ee

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member