Sign in to follow this  
Sandy Loam

Post your most "coconutty" Phoenix Reclinata photos

Sandy Loam

I recall a recent PalmTalk thread in which someone was seeking a cold-hardy substitute for a cocos nucifera.  One response provided by a PalmTalker was "phoenix reclinata".  

In my opinion, phoenix reclinata does not get a "coconutty" look until it is very mature and spreads its trunks out widely.  Below are some examples in photos.

On this thread, please join me in by posting photos showing how a phoenix reclinata can have that much-sought-after coconut look, at least somewhat.  To my taste, the nicest ones are those with tall and arching trunks, often pruned to have only a few spaced-out trunks remaining.   

Here are some examples from a Tampa Bay (Florida) garden that I visited recently.   (click to enlarge photos)  . 

Sandy Loam

Trouble uploading.  Here is the first one (click to enlarge photo - it's a beauty).

phoenix reclinata 2.jpg

Sandy Loam

same cluster, but taken from a different angle

phoenix reclinata 1.jpg

Sandy Loam

Different fountain, but same garden.  This one has only three trunks and is not as tall, but it is still a nice phoenix reclinata.

phoenix reclinata with 3 trunks.jpg

Sandy Loam

another one

phoenix reclinata 3.jpg

Sandy Loam

This is the same garden again.  I couldn't resist sharing this photo of a Streilitzia Nicolai with huge trunks.  Right in front of it, there used to be one of the largest phoenix reclinatas I have ever seen.  Unfortunately, it has been cut down since my visit here a few years ago.  I have never seen such a "coconutty" phoenix reclinata, but it is now gone forever, possibly because of disease. Nearby, there seemed to be a number of diseased phoenix palms, perhaps because of TPPD Texas Phoenix Palm Decline) or some other ailment which causes necrotic fronds.

strelitzia nicolai 1.jpg

Sandy Loam

On the right, another phoenix reclinata

phoenix reclinata 5.jpg

Sandy Loam

Not so "coconutty" looking, but here is a double phoenix reclinata at the back, in the distance

phoenix reclinata 4.jpeg

Sandy Loam

Your turn -- Please post your most amazing Phoenix Reclinata photos on this thread.

Josh-O

great pictures!!

where was this resort / hotel located?

Pal Meir

A photo of one coconutty cluster, taken in Hyde Park / Sydney in July 1979:

Phoenix_reclinata_Sydney_1979-07-29.thum

Palm crazy

If I could this would be one palm I would grow. 

reclinata-1-palm_695.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 1

Darkman

Love the look but as I have proven they will not survive our 8b/9a Winters. I was able to keep the center trunk alive for about four years but back to back 18 degree Winters finally killed it. I still have suckers growing but I do not believe I'll ever have a trunking specimen.

Matthew92

Love the look but as I have proven they will not survive our 8b/9a Winters. I was able to keep the center trunk alive for about four years but back to back 18 degree Winters finally killed it. I still have suckers growing but I do not believe I'll ever have a trunking specimen.

I feel ya. Actually there was a small clump planted in front of the "Destin Commons" shopping center that survived on the barrier island microclimate for awhile: it would get knocked back every other winter or so but was steadily growing and starting to get some height. After 2014 though it finally bit the dust... 

Edited by Opal92

Brad Mondel

Sandy Loam

very nice!

Sandy Loam
On Sun Sep 13 00:28:43, Josh-O said:

great pictures!!

great pictures!!

Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Riverfront....nothing fancy, but well-established landscaping from probably the 1980s. Scary collapsed phoenix palms nearby though...many. It didn't bode well for the future of this place or Tampa Bay in general.

were was this resort / hotel located?

great pictures!!

Nowhere fancy -- just the Marriott Courtyard Bradenton Riverwalk, FL.  Nice landscaping from the 1970s though.  Outside the hotel there were loads of collapsed phoenix palms within about a 500 m radius. Scary- doesn't bode well for phoenix in Tampa Bay.

Brett in Mission Viejo

Disneyland has a beauty in Tomorrowland:

565a0cb3af385_disneylandphoenix.jpg.a8ee