IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hi Everyone

_Keith

This is reproducible. If I do a search that results in multiple pages, and then click on page 2, this error comes up immediately:

Sorry, there is a problem 

Please wait 25 seconds before attempting another search 

Error code: 1C205/3

Apparently the forum detects page navigation as separate search events.

I'll look into it. But it could be because non-IPS Members have a "flood control" on the frequency of search attempts - allowing something like one every 30 seconds or so.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean, I echo everyone's remarks re: your efforts. Massive thanks for the massive undertaking.

I want to highlight one usability function that works differently, and ask for guidance. I used to pick a random page from the past, for example "post 250 of 950." That would put me somewhere back in 2007, and I'd happily start reading all those info-rich topics from the past. I would use the "next unread thread" button to proceed forward, and would continue perusing the historical postings for days and weeks at a time, just using that "next" button. But when I tried the same thing last week, I went back to 2009 and read the first post, then used the "next" button, and was brought right back to the latest 2015 post. I tried several more times, and always jump immediately back to the future (oh yes, that's good).

Is this replicable? Something fundamentally different.?

Thanks.

JT

Thanks JT,

Not sure about your exact question, and I have little time for the next 24 hours. But, I went back to the first page of the forum (almost page 1000), and then continued to click on "Previous" to get to the newer page each time and it worked that way. And vice versa as well, clicking next took me to the next older page. 

All the threads would be accessible that way as well. I'll look into your request in a day or two. I am unfamiliar with your method, having never used it. 

I might add that there are filters that you can set now that might be making things react differently for you - by week, month, year, etc - unread, partially read, etc. - followed items, posted in items, etc, and some more. Click on New Content and then play with those filters on the left and see if they make a difference.

Dean, I echo everyone's remarks re: your efforts. Massive thanks for the massive undertaking.

I want to highlight one usability function that works differently, and ask for guidance. I used to pick a random page from the past, for example "post 250 of 950." That would put me somewhere back in 2007, and I'd happily start reading all those info-rich topics from the past. I would use the "next unread thread" button to proceed forward, and would continue perusing the historical postings for days and weeks at a time, just using that "next" button. But when I tried the same thing last week, I went back to 2009 and read the first post, then used the "next" button, and was brought right back to the latest 2015 post. I tried several more times, and always jump immediately back to the future (oh yes, that's good).

Is this replicable? Something fundamentally different.?

Thanks.

JT

Thanks JT,

Not sure about your exact question, and I have little time for the next 24 hours. But, I went back to the first page of the forum (almost page 1000), and then continued to click on "Previous" to get to the newer page each time and it worked that way. And vice versa as well, clicking next took me to the next older page. 

All the threads would be accessible that way as well. I'll look into your request in a day or two. I am unfamiliar with your method, having never used it. 

I might add that there are filters that you can set now that might be making things react differently for you - by week, month, year, etc - unread, partially read, etc. - followed items, posted in items, etc, and some more. Click on New Content and then play with those filters on the left and see if they make a difference.

Dean, thanks for the reply; sorry i wasn't clear. The goal is to go back to a random page (eg,pg 200 in 2009), then to progress forward *thread by thread,* using only the "next unread thread" button. it doesn't work now, whereas it worked fine before. But i think i see the issue: all past threads now seem to be "unread," so using the button  in a thread in 2009 logically brings one right back to the latest page/thread in Sept 2015. Did the site upgrade perhaps de-flag all threads?

jt

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

Yes JT - that seems to be what has happened. The new software has no idea what topics you viewed in the past. And unfortunately, I have no solution for you. 

I may be missing something.  I can't find an option for "my content."   On the old website, one could click on "my content" and see whether there had been any new postings.  If anything new had been posted, the title of the thread appeared in bold.  If there were no new posts, the thread title was not bold. 

I see no similar function on the new website.  I don't "follow" anything, so I can't check "followed posts".  I can check every single one of my posts in list format, but it is time consuming to go through and see which threads have new posts or not.  I can also go into "cold hardy palms" or "discussing palm trees worldwide" and select only the threads that I have participated in, but this isn't very helpful because "discussing palm trees worldwide" has so much movement and volume that it would never show whether someone posted something new on a thread from a month ago .....or last year. 

Under my username dropdown box, there is a "my content" heading to choose from, but there is no way to click on it.  It appears to be inactive. 

Am I missing something? 

Also, I can't find any way to log into the mobile version of the new site.   Am I missing something here too?  I found the spot once but have not found it again since.  It seems to have disappeared.      

Thanks, Dean, for all of your hard work on the new site.

Sandy - not sure of your question, but I'll try an answer anyway. You can click on New Content and then filter for Topics you posted in or Topics you started. This should give you a list of all topics with new content that you started or posted in.

I'm not certain, but I thought the mobile version was automatically used when browsing from a mobile device. Is that not the case?