IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring's here

Tyrone

14 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Things will be warming up for you soon Pip. Looks like you had a great weekend.

Yes 38c by Wednesday I'll be throwing the sprinkler out were extra moisture is needed.

Weekly Tropical Climate Note

Issued 17 November 2015 Next issue 24 November 2015
Heatwave continues over northern Australia

Parts of northern Queensland and Northern Territory have seen a continuation of hot and dry conditions during the past week. Many locations have observed record or near-record maximum and minimum temperatures so far this November. Heatwave conditions are expected to continue for the upcoming week for parts of northwest Queensland, far northeastern Western Australia and over most of the ‘Top End’ of the Northern Territory. Some seasonal shower and thunderstorm activity was observed during the last week, but much of northern Australia has received well-below-average rainfall this month. Bureau forecasts indicate a high probability of below-average rainfall over the next week.

Nothing good on the horizon, makes me wonder whether I should give up on plants that look like they mightn't survive and concentrate on what should get through. Pity to waste water, time and energy for nothing. Earlier they said the monsoon wouldn't arrive until January. Hope this isn't an indication of what we have to look forward to for the next couple of months.

ptwxr-171115.jpg

23 hours ago, Exotic Life said:

I see that Sydney has also reached top temperatures from 40 degrees and higher!

Yes, the intense heat moved east. Adelaide is enjoying much cooler weather for now slowly warming to low 30's by the middle of next week and then cooling down again.

Bush fire anyone.......No.........its a bit of bad luck. The weather conditions have been perfect for bushfires to grow out of control over the past week.

Been cool and drizzly here for a few days. Been working inland about 160kms and it's sunny and hot enough for air conditioning. Come back home, drizzly windy and cold and no need for air con. Pip, just been looking at the SA fires. Really bad. The conditions that made the Esperance fires possible moved east. The Esperance fires have just gone out here with 4 dead. It's the worst fear in summer for Australia. Australia never stops burning.

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I know it's summer now, but down here we could have received up to 100mm of rain by the close of Sunday. We've got a 90% chance of 5-10mm today, 90% chance of 40-80mm of rain tomorrow and on Sunday 90% chance of 5-10mm. That should get my lake filled again and the stream flowing. My water tanks will be totally overflowing if we get that. Bring it on!!!

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Half your luck with getting a dam full of water, Tyrone! Well .... I'd even be happy with less than half. Although, the wet season has actually finally started now (for a while at least). For the 3 months to the end of November I got 114.6mm, Noonamah AWS only got 66.8mm. But some places had more than that in one downpour back in September. The difference between living on the coast and a little bit inland. The last week or so it's become cooler and wetter with temps maxing at 36 to 37. One day only managed to get to 34. Afternoon storms have have kept the temps down and humidity up. One morning had a minimum of 28 with humidity of 92%, though generally it's 25 to 26 with 97% - 98%. Total rain for December up to now is 90.8mm. It's a great change from a short while ago for the garden, although too late for a number of plants. Guess it's just a matter of keeping on plodding onwards.

Well Sunday isn't quite over but I've had 39mm of rain. My water tank is overflowing but my stream didn't start flowing again. The lakes have come up, and everything is totally soaked with standing water everywhere. Totally miserable weather actually. Wet and cold. It's actually been the coldest December weather in 50 years for some places. All we need now is some heat and things may grow OK again. I'm kind of sick of this winter weather though.

I recall somewhere on the news it being mentioned Perth was having its coldest December ever.

7 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

I recall somewhere on the news it being mentioned Perth was having its coldest December ever.

Yes I'd believe that. We've been plunged back into August here. Blimmin cold. Got the fire going.....in December!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to some cloudless days strong sun and heat.