User00

Fastest Growing Palm species

User00

Hi all,

please give me a list of fastest growing palm trees

i need fast growing palm trees for my palm garden

we have rain forest climate 350 m Above sea level

doranakandawatta

Bentinckia nicobarica, Teddy Bear palm (Dypsis leptocheilos), Roystonea oleracea, Ptychosperma sp, Adonidia and Pinanga coronata... for your climate must be right and easy to find around you.

For other species PM me I can give you more info. It depends where you live but there are good nurseries around Beruwela and one excellent in Peradeniya.

• Upvote 2

Jim in Los Altos

Carpoxylon.

DoomsDave

cARYOTA URENS

Metroxylon

realarch

For me it's been: Eurterpe, Bactris gasipaes, Actinorhytis, and Pigafetta of course.

LilikoiLee

Aloha,

We are about 450 m above sea level. In the solitary trunk palms, our Pigafetta are rocket ships pushing up 5-6 feet per year. Euterpe are fast too. The Teddy Bears (Dypsis leptocheilos) and some of our Syagrus are also fast. Among our clumping palms, the Pinanga coronata are fast and fill up space quickly.

Lee

• Upvote 1

richnorm

Acrocomia could be added to your lists

Kim

Clinostigma samoense (warburgii) is perhaps my fastest palm. Dypsis prestoniana is also very fast for me.

doranakandawatta

Aloha,

We are about 450 m above sea level. In the solitary trunk palms, our Pigafetta are rocket ships pushing up 5-6 feet per year. Euterpe are fast too. The Teddy Bears (Dypsis leptocheilos) and some of our Syagrus are also fast. Among our clumping palms, the Pinanga coronata are fast and fill up space quickly.

Lee

Lee,

You can say Ayubowan as I do sometimes, or Vanakam, since User00 is srilankan like me (I know I am not but I am in my heart).

The problem is that the species all you american or (worst) hawaiian friends mention are very rare or impossible to find in Sri Lanka.

For example I dream about Pigafetta!

BTW I never got the 10'000 Geonoma chocolate you send me by boat last year, they must have land somewhere else :)

sarasota alex

Pigafetta spp. are the fastest among the free standing palms. Many rattans grow much faster. Calamus manan - up to 24 ft per year, Calamus caesius - up to 19 ft per year, Calamus trachycoleus - up to 17 ft per year, Calamus hainanensis - up to 12 ft per year, etc. And hundreds more rattan species whose growth rates have never been studied.

• Upvote 1

Peter Pacific

Carpentaria acuminata, Bismarchia nobilis and Ptychosperma macarturii are my fastest on the Guatemalan coast!

Peter

LilikoiLee

Aloha,

Lee

Lee,

You can say Ayubowan as I do sometimes, or Vanakam, since User00 is srilankan like me (I know I am not but I am in my heart).

The problem is that the species all you american or (worst) hawaiian friends mention are very rare or impossible to find in Sri Lanka.

For example I dream about Pigafetta!

BTW I never got the 10'000 Geonoma chocolate you send me by boat last year, they must have land somewhere else :)

Ah yes.  We have heard pirates may have captured the ship and all of those palms.  If you hear of a pirate island with 10,000 chocolate Geonoma we will know for sure. So very sorry.

Lee

• Upvote 1

mike in kurtistown

I might add three Dypsis species: pembana (fastest), cabadae (next), and lanceolata.

• Upvote 1

palmsOrl

Based on what I've read on here in the past, I'd say the Piggy wins (excluding rattan palms of course).  Wish they would grow here.

User00

Based on what I've read on here in the past, I'd say the Piggy wins (excluding rattan palms of course).  Wish they would grow here.

scientific name of Piggy wins please, we have many climbing ratten palm. i searching young plants   

palmsOrl

Pigafetta species.  I also agree that Veitchia are some of the fastest commonly available palms.

doranakandawatta

scientific name of Piggy wins please, we have many climbing ratten palm. i searching young plants   

It's Pigafetta either Pigafetta filaris or Pigafetta elata, as you can read more details on: http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Pigafetta_elata or search for Pigafetta topics on Palmtalk.

Regards,

Bazza

Carpentaria acuminata, Bismarchia nobilis and Ptychosperma macarturii are my fastest on the Guatemalan coast!

Peter

+1 and this is coming from central east coast Florida location....my Bismarcks grew super fast once they became established - unfortunately I lost the two largest ones and a smaller to the Palmetto weevils.

I ended up re-planting with a Livistona saribus (FG), a huge Bottle Palm (65 gal.), and a Macrozamia moorei (7 gal.).

To be honest both large Bismarcks became a bit messy with their flower and fruiting stalks (I had both a male and female) so maybe a blessing in disguise. I always wanted a saribus too.  :)

IMG_6304.thumb.JPG.d2f4e8c276b27dca3c8d0

Speaking of fast growing palms....Livistona decipiens and Washingtonia robusta have always seemed to be fast growers around here. In fact, don't even use Washys because of how fast they grow!

• Upvote 1