IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainbow Eucalyptus

SubTropicRay

I'd like to hear some of your experiences growing Rainbow Eucalyptus?  From Floridians, I'd like to hear how this tree faired in our recent hurricanes.  Is the one at Fairchild still standing?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Just saw a very large 3 year old one right on the beach front , it survived last years severe cyclone , but had the top snapped off . It is growing back very well .

I have ordered a few seedlings , the guy who supplied the plant was at the market there on Sunday , he tells me seed is hard to germinate , thus the high cost  ???

Its not a tree for a small block though , it drops large branches like many Eucalypts , and grows very fast into an enormous tree , just what I need on my 3 acres .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Ray,

I grew one for about 4 yrs and recently had it removed. I was very 'green' when I planted it & didn't listen to the warnings (one from our mutual friend Jeff A!) The root systems on these trees are BAD for typical FL yards. The roots come up to the surfave and travel far! I had them pushing up my shed. They also produce ALOT of litter, constantly shedding twigs and leaves.  When big, falling branches becomes dangerous.  They handle terribly in storms. Beautiful trees but best planted where there is a lot of space & away from any structures. I started with a 3 ft twig and it exploded into a 20 ft tree quickly! Here are some pics

Eucalyptusdelgupta001.jpg

Leaning after a storm

euc_delgupta_leaning.jpg

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

It is a very fast grower. They are sort of tender when young but gain some hardiness as they mature. We planted one in 2000. It was about 3ft tall when it was planted and got to about 5-6ft by end of summer. That winter we had one night at 27F and it cut it back about halfway. A few years later it was over 20ft and went through a night at 27F again with no damage. Now it is about 40ft and it flowered heavily last summer for the first time. It made it through the 3 hurricanes in 2004 just fine, some small twigs broke but nothing major. There are some Corymbia citrifolia (formerly Eucalyptus), Lemon Gum, nearby about the same size. They lost major limbs in the same storms.

Here is our tree;

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....35

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/leu4510....34

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The E. deglupta in the Deerfield Beach Arboretum is planted in a relatively high and dry spot.  It was planted in 1999 or 2000 at about 8 feet tall and is now about 40' tall.  Originally the growth rate was super fast but it has slowed a bit now.  It was broken up a little in the 2004 storms which were mild compared to Wilma in 2005.  By the time Wilma came through, I guess all the weak branches had already broken out and it suffered little damage.  The structure of the tree looks good, but is not straight anymore because it grew a new top.  It won't blow over but it will break out the top or any weaker branches.  Care should be taken to prune out any early bifurcations of the main trunk.  I agree that you should not plant this one in a regular sized lot.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden has a large one near the visitor center.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thanks all for the input.

Ray,

I have one in the back yard. It grew extreamly fast, like everyone else has experienced.It got up to maybe 30-35', within maybe 3 years. Wilma took out the top 15' or so, but did not take her down. I was very happy! It even flowered before the storm. Now, it has grown back and is very full, a good shape. I will be growing small ones this summer for resale. I have planted 3 more in the yard since. But, for others that don't know, I live on 2 acres, so leaves are not a problem.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I saw these in Hawaii when I visited and wondered what they were. Are these deciduous, meaning they lose most or all of their leaves at once? Or, do they lose and replace leaves throughout the year?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Maybe a nice option for the property down south.  Thanks again.

I only have a E.viminifolia which I hoped would attract Koalas . . .  well I am an optimist.

Actually there are a few wild Wallabies only a few miles to the North (long escaped from Leonardslee Gardens).

On topic ; I should think a Rainbow must be easy and indeed from seed.

Most of you guys probably know the old Oz saying regarding this Genera: the bigger you plant em the sooner they fall down - and staking is useless unless you are thinking of a BBQ.

All Eucs should be planted small and left to rock around in the wind cos its the way they grow good trunk and stay upright.

Any Aussie friends disagree?

Regardez

Juan

Juan

Ray ,

Yes the bark is beautiful but it is a eucalypt, locally they are known as '' widow makers'' ,you work it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on this thread I was intrigued enough to purchase one of these. I bought one from a guy on ebay, Total of $18.50 with shipping  for a thin 10" tall little weed. I'm keeping it in a pot till it gets bigger. I have plenty of room to five it some space and keep limbs from falling on my home. Looks like a very interesting tree.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Dear guys  :)

the eucalyptus trees we have it here is something different.

than what is in your picture.and recently well felled our tree

since it was just sucking lots of ground water.and plants &

the soil always looked dry.its a heavy ground water consumer.

but the eucalyptus that we have here is simply fentastic.

they grow as tall as coconut trees and the trunk is very broad.

i did not have digital camera then.but the cut trunk still remains in our garden.i will post its pictures soon.

and the leaves are so sweet armoatic smelling and also used to cure common cold.and the trunk is used for buliding tached roofed housed.and in paper making industry..

thanks for the topic_Man !

Love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(ruskinPalms @ Apr. 03 2007,00:22)

I saw these in Hawaii when I visited and wondered what they were. Are these deciduous, meaning they lose most or all of their leaves at once? Or, do they lose and replace leaves throughout the year?

Bill,

They hold on to most of their leaves all through the year. They never go bare. I love them. A great tree to grow up and help provide some good shade, but can be somewhat messy around it underneath.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I'm not sure what is worse:  A steady but manageable leaf drop or the once a year onslaught from an oak.

Ray

redant,

What are you waiting for?  I bought one of these trees as a little 8 inch seedling in a 4 inch pot.  I put it right into the ground at that size and before long it took off like a rocket ship!  It does grow at least 6-7 feet a year!

Jason

Sebastian, Florida USA

Zone 9B/10A

(ibreakforpalms @ Apr. 16 2007,14:02)

redant,

What are you waiting for?  I bought one of these trees as a little 8 inch seedling in a 4 inch pot.  I put it right into the ground at that size and before long it took off like a rocket ship!  It does grow at least 6-7 feet a year!

It's so small I'm afraid it will get stepped on or run over by the mower. Guess I can put it in the ground and mark it well, but just 1 Koala and it's doomed. :laugh:

Jupiter FL

Just remember their adventurous roots. If you want to see them first hand, take a road trip to Fairchild. This is one tree you cannot mow around.

I was very depressed the day I took mine down. I had to though. Had I waited another year or two and prolonged the event, I would have had to sell a kidney to afford the tree guy's bill.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I planted a 3 gal. tree about 3' tall, to replace the one that Wilma dealt the final blow to. My previous one got to about 25' and Francis blew it down, but I cut it back, set it upright, and it was recovering nicely with a nice shaped crown, until Wilma. By that time, it was just too big to try and upright, not to mention that half the rootball had been pulled out of the ground, and it just had to go.

There was a huge specimen at Mounts Botanical Garden in WPB, with about a 16" wide trunk, but Wilma took it down also. The wood was given to some artistic wood carvers, who fashioned it into beautiful bowls and vases, which were sold or auctioned off and the proceeds went to the garden recovery. The wood is apparently choice for this sort of art.

It is messy, but I love this tree.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Roger, was yours planted in an area that gets real soggy when it rains or in dry sand. I'm thinking of placing mine in a drier location to help it from blowing down in a storm.

Jupiter FL

Here are the still of the felled Eucalyptus tree_it grew up to

30 feet or so.and looked very frightening and gussled all the

water from the ground during the summer seasons.

and we live in a very congusted and populuous area.so if it

falls down due to mansoon rains.it could be hazzadous !

it was a clear jamboo in my analaysis... :D

post-108-1176997830_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(redant @ Apr. 19 2007,10:34)

Roger, was yours planted in an area that gets real soggy when it rains or in dry sand. I'm thinking of placing mine in a drier location to help it from blowing down in a storm.

Doug,

It was high and dry, but I think that is what it likes, as it did real well.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

(ruskinPalms @ Apr. 19 2007,17:10)

Found a pic of one of these from when I went to Hawaii. Guess where I was....

IMG_1502.jpg

Bill,

Thats the best shot yet of that outstanding multi colored trunk. Well done.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

• 5 months later...

Due to Ray's post, I purchased one of these on eBay for $12. Was about 11" tall and thin as a piece of twine. I almost killed it by lack of water then decided to put it in the ground even though it was so small. I kept a marker next to it so I would not runn it over with the lawn mower, it was that small. Well one summer and now look at it.

post-202-1192457294_thumb.jpg

Jupiter FL

(redant @ Oct. 15 2007,10:08)

Due to Ray's post, I purchased one of these on eBay for $12. Was about 11" tall and thin as a piece of twine. I almost killed it by lack of water then decided to put it in the ground even though it was so small. I kept a marker next to it so I would not runn it over with the lawn mower, it was that small. Well one summer and now look at it.

Doug--

Looks great! Looks like you've got it in a good spot. I'd strongly recommend keeping as many lower branches on it as long as possible to strengthen the lower trunk as much as possible. This will help it weather storms. Many people (esp. nurseries) make the mistake of raising (removing lower limbs) too quickly; young trees should not look like lollipops!

Remove any codominant leaders if they do develop; these will commonly fail in high winds. This tree typically has strong apical dominance, so you probably won't have problems unless the top gets broken off in winds (or mowed by koalas :D  ).

BTW, if anyone is looking for these, I have a few nice ones in 7g pots here at my place. I'd like to sell/trade before I have to shift into 15's.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Well I had to Google "codominant leaders", found a great picture to describe this. Thanks for the info, I know this will one day be a monster so any pruning while it's small to help out is a good idea.

Jupiter FL

(fastfeat @ Oct. 15 2007,10:44)

Remove any codominant leaders if they do develop

Take this advice!

I allowed two main leaders to develop on my Royal Poinciana and the end result was that I had to cut the tree down (as the tree split right down the crotch of the two leaders).  On these fast growing trees, it seems like the wood just isnt strong enough sometimes to support the growth rate.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(redant @ Oct. 15 2007,11:00)

Well I had to Google "codominant leaders", found a great picture to describe this. Thanks for the info, I know this will one day be a monster so any pruning while it's small to help out is a good idea.

Sorry about not defining that arboricultural term a little better. (I'm an arborist, and technically on the clock right now. Don't tell my boss...)

Basically, this is an issue of physics more than anything. If codominant branches develop at acute (narrow) angles, bark becomes included between them. As the branches/trunks increase in diameter, that bark acts as a wedge that can split the branches/trunks apart, especially when subjected to stresses like wind.

The likelihood any given codominant defect will fail is dependent on many factors (species, growth rate, angle of inclusion, wood strength, force (such as wind) against the inclusion). Suffice it to say that rapid-growing, predominantly excurrent (vertically oriented) species that develop these defects are especially prone to fail, and hurt more when they do. The harder they come, the harder they fall...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

While I don't have a Eucalyptus deglupta planted at our place there are some beauties to be seen around the islands here.  I have always heard that it is better to plant a small seedling, spreading out the roots when planting, as a root bound plant will never grow properly making it easier for a mature tree to be blown down during a windstorm.  This Rainbow Eucalyptus or sometimes referred to as Mindanao Gum, does not produce the aromatic oils like other Eucalypts and is native to the southernmost and easternmost island in the Philippines.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

It is better to with those fast growing Eucs to start with a small plant. Ours was planted in 2000 from a small 3gal. It survived the 2004 hurricanes no problem and is about 50ft now. Gotta love the trunks on these. They are also native to Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.

83f9.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I have two in my yard- both are about 20 feet and still growing.

One is in a more shaded location that is also a bit more wet. This one looks the best and has the most colorful trunk.  

The other is in a good deal of sun and does not get as much irrigation. It has grown about the same, but does not have as vivid coloration, and does not seem to "shed" as much.

Both trees flopped over during Wilma, but were small enough at the time for me to right them.

The larger ones in the front parking lot at McKee Gardens in Vero did not fall over and are doing well there.

These pics are a year old- the trunks are about doubled now..

the wet one:

abf.sized.jpg

The drier one:

abk.sized.jpg

Brian--

Trunk color is pretty much controlled by genetics and age. It wouldn't surprise me if the second tree colors up more later.

_____

I just bought a seedling this year and was told to keep it VERY wet while young (I've got my pot sitting in a saucer) and then, once it had grown a bit, it could/would be OK with normal conditions (but that it would still do best if planted in a lower spot in the yard).

Has anyone else heard this same advice?

Also, as a result of being a little less than extremely wet right after I got it (prior to putting the saucer under the pot), the main stem on mine "stuttered" a bit and, when I did increase the water level, a side branch really took off and has been equal in vertical growth to the main stem ever since.  Should I cut off this side stem to avoid the co-dominant issue mentioned previously? (as an FYI, this strong side stem is growing up at the same angle as the main stem but it does start pretty low on the plant, and it is the same diameter as the main stem).

Thanks...

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

(ThunderSRQ @ Oct. 17 2007,13:48)

I just bought a seedling this year and was told to keep it VERY wet while young (I've got my pot sitting in a saucer) and then, once it had grown a bit, it could/would be OK with normal conditions (but that it would still do best if planted in a lower spot in the yard).

Has anyone else heard this same advice?

Also, as a result of being a little less than extremely wet right after I got it (prior to putting the saucer under the pot), the main stem on mine "stuttered" a bit and, when I did increase the water level, a side branch really took off and has been equal in vertical growth to the main stem ever since.  Should I cut off this side stem to avoid the co-dominant issue mentioned previously? (as an FYI, this strong side stem is growing up at the same angle as the main stem but it does start pretty low on the plant, and it is the same diameter as the main stem).

Thanks...

Tim--

I'd remove the saucer from under the container. They like to be kept fairly moist, but really no more so than many common plants. Keeping the pot standing in water will create problems.

If you're going to plant it out in the ground, it can take rather moist ground, but not standing water. An area where downpours may stand for a couple of days, then dries, would be fine. They'll grow fine on drier sites, and survive on "normal" Florida rainfall; growth will be faster with supplemental water in dry times. These trees grow well in Southern California with little rainfall, albeit on soils with more clay.

I'd definitely remove, or at least shorten, the competing shoot now. Much less painful to do when young rather than later.

BTW, welcome to the board here.

_____

Thanks for that input -- I'll go ahead and cut off that competing branch now before it gets any larger (I wasn't sure if it would be an issue since it originated from a point so low on the plant but, since it has maintained such an equal size/height to the main stem, I could definitely see the plant starting to form into an overall "Y" shape).  

I am planning on putting this in the ground in a low spot in my yard that will hold water for a day or so (but only after a VERY heavy rain) and will be doing supplemental watering, as needed, until it gets well-established.

So, from what you've said, I assume there is no corellation between better bark color and amount of shade?

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg