IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help ID Philippine Palms

JJD

Last weekend we set off from Batangas City in the Philippines and headed to Real on the East Coast passing thru the Sierra Madre. As usual, it was a spare of the moment decision to make the trip and being my first visit to Real, preparation was somewhat lacking but with my Iphone as a navigational tool things went relatively smoothly.

I used to have a love / hate relationship with Google maps but things have gotten better, now I just simply double the trip duration displayed on the map, or if raining heavy will triple the duration. Unfortunately the map durations do not take into account local weather conditions, roads under construction/repair, fallen trees, landslides, road detours, funerals, weddings, holiday traffic, town fiestas etc….etc…. Life is never boring in the Philippines!!!!

Anyway, on the way I found two vendors selling palms in Famy so stopped and took some pics and bought some palms

Please help ID the Pinanga species ……..not sure if Maculata or Copelandii or ??

post-10608-0-74150000-1441287859_thumb.j

post-10608-0-02141800-1441287874_thumb.j

post-10608-0-19503400-1441287901_thumb.j

post-10608-0-18042300-1441287931_thumb.j

post-10608-0-86463600-1441288092_thumb.j

post-10608-0-13228900-1441288125_thumb.j

post-10608-0-97247500-1441288184_thumb.j

Pare

Kamusta kayo diyan?

New member here also but Im here in Los Angeles.

There is another member from PT that works

for Del Monte PH and I think he lives in Cavite.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/46780-pigafetta-filaris-finally-has-some-trunk/

Subukan nyo contacting Gbarce at seguarado ako na mka tulong siya sayo.

Im sure he would be more knowledgable than me

& knows all the in & outs of growing

and buying palms in the PH.

Ingat

Ritchy

Edited by SanDimas

Pare

Mabuti naman at ikaw?

Australyano ako conti lang alam kong Tagalog. I am from Brisbane but have lived and worked in the Phils since 1994, its my home!!!

Yes, I have seen Gene's magnificent palms and gardens (on the net that is) and have put some of his palms on my ever growing must have list. I am particularly interested in endemic palms to the Philippines and the palms in the pics above are probably the most sp. I have seen in one location, apart from Makiling Botanical Gardens.

I really want to know the name of the palm in 2nd and 3rd last pics so any help would be appreciated.

Wow! 20+ years?

You've spent more time there than I have.

Good thing you live in the province and no where close

to the the chaotic and congested city life of Manila.

Anyways, the second picture looks similar to a

Ptychosperma black seed that I have.

The PT experts must be on vacation.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ptychosperma+black+seed&rlz=1C1EODB_enUS592US593&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=915&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCOLqnqTf3scCFcOQDQodVAUGkg#imgrc=lv8ay5NWxmXYBM%3A

Yes, I have been in the Philippines a long time, I actually made my first visit after the EDSA revolution in 1986 when I was in my early 20's........don't do the math's!!!

I lived on Roxas Blvd in Pasay for 6 years and then spent the balance in Makati and now I'm in working in Batangas so I am all too familiar with Manila traffic...it's bad but you get used to it, a lot of patience and a good sense of humor seem to help.

Back to the palms.....I was really happy to stumble on these two vendors as most garden centers I have visited look at me very strangely when I ask if they have any Pinanga as most of the palms have local names. I am trying to learn the local names but even they change from province to province which makes things interesting.

Pare

Mabuti naman at ikaw?

Australyano ako conti lang alam kong Tagalog. I am from Brisbane but have lived and worked in the Phils since 1994, its my home!!!

Yes, I have seen Gene's magnificent palms and gardens (on the net that is) and have put some of his palms on my ever growing must have list. I am particularly interested in endemic palms to the Philippines and the palms in the pics above are probably the most sp. I have seen in one location, apart from Makiling Botanical Gardens.

I really want to know the name of the palm in 2nd and 3rd last pics so any help would be appreciated.

Hi Mate

I am the guy who works for Del Monte PH but I live in Batangas. Australiano ako din, dito ako 15 years. To find native species of Philippine palms you have to travel into the remotest places to find most as you know the country has been raped of many forests by locals. I am going to harvest many Pinanga sp. and Orania palindan seeds next week for our botanical gardens. 50 hectare site. A lot of the Pinangas that are sold by vendors are just P/maculata but there are surprises, seeds get mixed up and with almost no knowledge never know what you can pick up..Mt Makiling botanical gardens has a few nice large native Pinanga including Heterospathe califrons which there are several fruiting. The place however has been neglected badly which is a shame.Gene or Gbarce is also a good guy to talk to about palms here, he lives in Manila.

Cheers Jerry.

…..our botanical gardens. 50 hectare site….

it seems we are looking forward to seeing other pictures in a next thread! :)

Sorry I am ignorant about endemic Philippines palms but I'll enjoy watching them

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Hi Jerry,

Yes you are correct about having to travel to remote locations to find Philippine native palms, I have made quite a few trips chasing palms by using map coordinates like these palms in Baler, Aurora Province:

Heterospathe cagayanensis 15 44 51.27 N, 121 34 46.84 E

Pinanga urosperma 15 44 42.01 N, 121 34 54.80 E

I was visiting friends in Dagupan City and remembered these palms from this website: http://131.230.176.4/cgi-bin/dol/dol_terminal.pl?taxon_name=Pinanga_urosperma&rank=binomial Iphone maps showed a 5 hour trip duration so off I went only to arrive 7 hours later in Baler. The next day I set off to look for the palms but was caught in torrential rain, I made it to the road location near the coordinates but was told it would take 30minutes on foot to reach the H. Cagayanensis. Time, but more so the weather and non palm loving passengers were not on my side, so I gave up and headed back to Batangas. I will be more prepared and stay longer on my next visit to Baler.

Below are some pics of trimmed Cocos Nucifera in Sabang Beach, Baler........before it rained. Also attached is the hotel map that got me lost on my way back to Manila, I somehow missed the La Paz exit and wound up heading North towards Baguio, adding 45minutes to the trip. I should have just stuck to using my IPhone maps.........

post-10608-0-03338600-1441600192_thumb.j

post-10608-0-30114500-1441600213_thumb.j

post-10608-0-38310400-1441600230_thumb.j

post-10608-0-10228400-1441600246_thumb.j

post-10608-0-17085800-1441600258_thumb.j

post-10608-0-91239100-1441600270_thumb.j

post-10608-0-97781300-1441600284_thumb.j

post-10608-0-06642800-1441600302_thumb.j

Doranakandawatta

Below is info on the Makiling Botanical Garden which is still worth a visit, I have been there twice in the last 3 months........

http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2009/v53n1p31-36.pdf

Many thanks for the link, it seems to me I would visit twice the day if I were staying closely.

The Makiling Botanical Garden deserves a long thread rich with pictures on Palmtalk too.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka