IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More El Nino news

John Case

I suggest that we all post our readings on El Nino here so we can get the best feel for the predictions that are coming faster (and furiouser?) as we begin weather that precedes the CA winter rainy season. I, for one, am unconvinced that there are a guarantee that there will be a bevy of gullywashers to save the state and cure the drought, but am hopeful that we will have more rain than what is considered normal.

https://baynature.org/articles/today-in-el-nino-advice-dont-worry-about-the-blob/

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Until such time as I am standing ankle deep in newly fallen rain, I remain skeptical....

http://www.weatherwest.com/

John Case

Brentwood CA

I think we will have starling and jawdropping rains

We are at opposite ends of the state, amigo!

John Case

Brentwood CA

The ocean temps have been pretty much in the low 60s all year....San Francisco has had the warmest summer in a long time mainly due to the warm ocean temps....Darold Petty must be in heaven!

John Case

Brentwood CA

I'm new to  Socal, been here 3 months, and I'm surprised at the water temps around San Diego--73-77 degrees.  Isn't that warmer than

normal for this area?

Until such time as I am standing ankle deep in newly fallen rain, I remain skeptical....

http://www.weatherwest.com/

Roared along Whittier Booley this morning, and it was ankle-deep in rain.

Still coming down.

Never recall this in 30 years out here.

How about the rest of you old-timers?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Raindrops for a about 2 minutes, a sprinkle that dried up almost immediately.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Here on the southern side of the amazonian equatorial tropics the heat is on.  The highs pushing 100 degrees F everyday.  This is supposed to be a direct result of the current El Nino.  This is the driest month of the year, and the hottest.  And, my living room AC unit is not working.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

John Case

Brentwood CA

• 2 weeks later...

Big news yesterday, we got a thunderstorm in the afternoon that dumped 1/3 inch in about 20 minutes here.....today, my plants look energized...tomorrow, who knows?

John Case

Brentwood CA

Nothing here and nothing in the 7 day forecast....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Big news yesterday, we got a thunderstorm in the afternoon that dumped 1/3 inch in about 20 minutes here.....today, my plants look energized...tomorrow, who knows?

I have a truck that has wipers that don't work well, which was no problem in the drought. Gonna have to get them fixed soon.

Sometimes El Nino rains come all at once. In 1998, everyone was crowing about EN and it didn't happen till the middle of January, 1998. My backyard was a half acre sea of mud till the end of May.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

We had some rain yesterday after a 30 day dry spell.  Everything around town is baked.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

There is no place more tropical than where I live on the equator.  This is the peak of the dry season here and the hottest time of the year.  For the past weeks every day has been either close to 100 F or more.  The night time  lows around 76 F.  The normal dry season weather pattern in El Nino years is drier than normal for the Amazon region.  For the south of Brazil it is more water.  In fact in the far south there has been a lot of flooding.   Since the humidity from Amazonia is a major weather maker in Brazil a drier Amazonia results in drier weather from Sao Paulo northward to the north east of Brazil.   As the Accuweather forecast shows it is a bit cooler and there is some moisture in the picture.  The rainy season starts anywhere from the beginning of November to December.   El Nino is a major factor for weather in Brazil.  As what comes over the Andes mountains impacts to the Atlantic coast.

•  
Edited by amazondk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

This is the impact on South America.

650x366_07161656_july-oct.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

John Case

Brentwood CA

dry as a bone......

John Case

Brentwood CA

wow!! Just saw this today on TV. CRAZY!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

We have had at least one good rain storm every month since May, ocean temp above 70 since May, the best fishing season of tropical species including wahoo, tiger shark sightings, poisonous sea snake yesterday, above 70F every night still. Yeah El Nino is here for sure. Tipically the rains will start in ernest around Christmas, am I allowed to say CHRISTMAS!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

bring on the rain!!! We need it here in S. Cali :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

Bob, you forgot to mention the pelagic tuna crab we had on our beaches last month. 

6-16-15+Claire+Bock+Crabs.jpgImage result for tuna crab

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

We had the same on Monday. Good weather and rain in amounts that the ground could absorb. It appears that the storm door may be opening, rain expected Sunday/Monday and more after that.

Is it El Nino? Who knows? After all, we are in the CA rainy season until March.

John Case

Brentwood CA

I am glad to see the rains returning to Amazônia.   It has been cloudy a lot and shifting  into the rainy season mode.  I guess we are still under the El Nino effect, but it is not enough to stop the season rains from coming, fortunately.  It was great to walk in the forest in the park near my place yesterday morning.  It had been so dry and so many plants were wilting.   They are now coming back to life.  The parakeets are also back.  I do not know where they go but for six months they disappear.  Now there are huge flocks all over town.

nor_reg1.jpg

El Nino points like a spear straight at my part of South America.

Temperatura

Edited by amazondk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg