IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

Incredible Josh u r putting together a garden most people can only dream of maybe on day I can come by for a visit when I'm in the area again Great job.

5 hours ago, Got Palms said:

Incredible Josh u r putting together a garden most people can only dream of maybe on day I can come by for a visit when I'm in the area again Great job.

Thanks Sergo :),

You can come by anytime you are in the area. I'm there most days slaving away.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 12/12/2015, 12:19:10, Josh-O said:

a very large dypsis canaliculata. :( I'm still crying ..booo hooo

Oh dear God, you scared me. I thought you lost your Dypsis 'black stem' .  :blink::blink::blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Oh dear God, you scared me. I thought you lost your Dypsis 'black stem' .  :blink::blink::blink:

No, that's still alive and kicking

But, I just bought a nice 1 gal as a back up plant.

I will unlock the secrete sooner or later:bemused:

Sunset zone 24

:bemused:I will unlock the secrete sooner or later LMAO !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

16 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

:bemused:I will unlock the secrete sooner or later LMAO !

:floor::floor:

Sunset zone 24

12 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

:floor::floor:

I don't know what you guys are secreting, but keep it to yourselves!! :lol:

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

7 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I don't know what you guys are secreting, but keep it to yourselves!! :lol:

:) 

hunker down! here comes some cold weather

Sunset zone 24

On 12/13/2015, 7:09:39, Josh-O said:

No, that's still alive and kicking

But, I just bought a nice 1 gal as a back up plant.

I will unlock the secrete sooner or later:bemused:

"I unlocked the secret to growing the dypsis blackstem" - Trioderob

my am now inextricably linked to that quote for all times..................................................

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, trioderob said:

my am now inextricably linked to that quote for all times..................................................

There are worse things such as Carl Killer of Dypsis TM...........................

Carl:        9

Dypsis:    3

500full.jpg

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

4 hours ago, trioderob said:

Like "it ain't over til the fat lady sings"

By the way Josh, up to page 12 and no concrete poured yet ? How many more holes you got augered ? You can fill those holes with compost until your ready to plant.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 12/15/2015, 4:44:45, Moose said:

Like "it ain't over til the fat lady sings"

By the way Josh, up to page 12 and no concrete poured yet ? How many more holes you got augered ? You can fill those holes with compost until your ready to plant.

I just got my last concrete quote yesterday.

Crazy expensive to say the least.

Gonna start pouring pathways in 3 weeks time.

I have been focusing on canopy trees this last week. Got a bunch more cool species planted.

I'll post pics ASAP.

Sunset zone 24

plopped in a very nice 15 gal Sabal Pumos the other day. This is not a very common palm for our southern Californian gardens.

enjoy the pictures :) 

12-12-15.JPG.796c98f207b4baf7610ad491e1456724b0e70b4b_12-12-15(2).JPG.d092fb431056724b1337e79_12-12-15(3).JPG.39c304dbb0

Sunset zone 24

Wellllll,

I decided to spruce the driveway entrance to the vista garden and future nursery.

I know I know, It's winter and you shouldn't plant anything...BUT, I like to bend the rules a bit.

here are a few pictures of the drive way when you enter the back side of the property.

enjoy :) 

5674cca3e8a32_12-12-15(3).JPG.b764dd2706 before 

5674ccb77e1c3_12-12-15(2).JPG.a7b0ecf461digging holes

5674ccd1585de_12-12-15(4).JPG.53ef170d45 laying out the palms

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

5674cd179d9bf_12-12-15(5).JPG.c064c25258a nice 15 gal livistona nitida

5674cd1de0572_12-12-15(6).JPG.2ca5162fafa very nice 15 gal sabal blackburniana about to meet its new home

12-12-15.JPG.d6248e47205eecd23bf9b7ceade digging a hole for a coconut queen

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

now I'm almost  done with the driveway

here are some after pictures I took last week.

I planted a total of 15 BIG 15 gal's to line both sides of the driveway.

here the line up:

coconut queen hybrid ( syagrus romanzoffiana x schizophylla F1 ) qty 10

livistona rigida qty 2

sabal domingensis qty 2

sabal blackburniana qty 2

brahea clara qty 2 

and counting :) 

In about 5-6 yrs this should be an awe factor when you come roaring up to the place.

5674ce8811270_12-12-15(7).JPG.56445ae4dc irrigation lines are now complete

5674ce8c3813f_12-12-15(8).JPG.fa3df4680d say hello to my future "frankenbrahea"

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

7 minutes ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

I love it!

It was a labor of love. My back is still hurting after those 2 days of planting :( 

The cold beer I drank afterwards did make it feel a little better.

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

If you ever need some help digging I am available Most Sunday's and Wednesday.  Just holler.  I'm cheap figure 1 bud light per hole. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Briank said:

If you ever need some help digging I am available Most Sunday's and Wednesday.  Just holler.  I'm cheap figure 1 bud light per hole. 

I can manage that pay rate 

The only concern I have is that I may drink your wages first :lol:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

What a difference, Josh!  So, is there going to be a nursery selling plants in the back with a "demonstration garden" in the front?  .....complete with tiki bar, of course (all nurseries should have a bar!).

BTW, if the cement quotes are too crazy for the sidewalk, you could just do it yourself if you have the time.  It would be a backbreaking pain, but you could do it segment by segment yourself probably: dig out the earth, build the wooden frame for each small part of the sidewalk, throw down the rebar, mix the colored cement in your wheelbarrow (get mixer end which fits your drill), pour and shimmy-level the cement off with another 2x4, let dry, rip out the wooden frame, and move on to next segment.  It would take forever and wouldn't look like a professional job, but if you have the time and want to save the money....

• Upvote 1

Josh, you mention all of the Coco Queens/Super Parrots you are planting - one of my favorites!  As you know I have 6 or 7 of them up here, including a little guy from you!  You state they are "syagrus romanzoffiana x schizophylla F1."  Are you positive it is that way around?  They have more the schizo look to them, so my hypothesis was that the schizo was the mother plant, carrying through more of those genes, and that the father/pollen donor was the romanzoffiana.  I have no idea if this is true, just my hypothesis.  

Do you know for definite the queen is the mother?

Looking great, BTW!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

11 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

What a difference, Josh!  So, is there going to be a nursery selling plants in the back with a "demonstration garden" in the front?  .....complete with tiki bar, of course (all nurseries should have a bar!).

BTW, if the cement quotes are too crazy for the sidewalk, you could just do it yourself if you have the time.  It would be a backbreaking pain, but you could do it segment by segment yourself probably: dig out the earth, build the wooden frame for each small part of the sidewalk, throw down the rebar, mix the colored cement in your wheelbarrow (get mixer end which fits your drill), pour and shimmy-level the cement off with another 2x4, let dry, rip out the wooden frame, and move on to next segment.  It would take forever and wouldn't look like a professional job, but if you have the time and want to save the money....

I've always wanted to go to a nursery with a tiki bar and a garden showroom. I for see some PSSC events being held there in the future.

I'm still in the process of getting quotes for the pathways. I may do all the retaining walls myself with some sort of stacking block to save a few grand$$. Time is my only enemy since I have a real job and the palm thing is still only a hobby.

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Josh, you mention all of the Coco Queens/Super Parrots you are planting - one of my favorites!  As you know I have 6 or 7 of them up here, including a little guy from you!  You state they are "syagrus romanzoffiana x schizophylla F1."  Are you positive it is that way around?  They have more the schizo look to them, so my hypothesis was that the schizo was the mother plant, carrying through more of those genes, and that the father/pollen donor was the romanzoffiana.  I have no idea if this is true, just my hypothesis.  

Do you know for definite the queen is the mother?

Looking great, BTW!

good catch, I got it mixed up. It's exactly like you said. This schizophylla is the mother plant and daddy is a poor old pollen donor :) dam dyslexia!! ..lol

when this hybrid matures it makes an excellent coconut loo-a-like statement piece. I've always wanted to line a drive way or sidewalk with these palms. when I got the chance I jumped on it immediately.

Sunset zone 24

4 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

good catch, I got it mixed up. It's exactly like you said. This schizophylla is the mother plant and daddy is a poor old pollen donor :) dam dyslexia!! ..lol

when this hybrid matures it makes an excellent coconut loo-a-like statement piece. I've always wanted to line a drive way or sidewalk with these palms. when I got the chance I jumped on it immediately.

Got it, good to know, thanks man...that was my hypothesis but I previously did not know definitively!

Ben Rogers

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎06‎:‎17‎, Josh-O said:
8 minutes ago, Josh-O said:

I've always wanted to go to a nursery with a tiki bar and a garden showroom. I for see some PSSC events being held there in the future.

I'm still in the process of getting quotes for the pathways. I may do all the retaining walls myself with some sort of stacking block to save a few grand$$. Time is my only enemy since I have a real job and the palm thing is still only a hobby.

It was a labor of love. My back is still hurting after those 2 days of planting :( 

The cold beer I drank afterwards did make it feel a little better.

How about a tiki show case room too?  A couple of mai tais to loosen up the customer (me) and voila! There goes that nice Dypsis and fertility god carving right out the door.

• Upvote 1

Carl

Vista, CA

On December 8, 2015 at 12:07:27 PM, doranakandawatta said:

Whats the happiness you have seeing this Palmetum taking forms and life?

This new garden has brought me great joy thus far, although It's not even close to being done

8 hours ago, nachocarl said:

How about a tiki show case room too?  A couple of mai tais to loosen up the customer (me) and voila! There goes that nice Dypsis and fertility god carving right out the door.

Carl, we are to much alike. It's been a good ride since tiki oasis and all the beers guzzled at Mother Earth Brewery. The plan is to turn the 650sqft guess house into a tiki bar office. That will be a diffrent thread.

Sunset zone 24

gonna hunker down for the cold front coming in this weekend. I bought some frost cloth to cover up some of my more sensitive palms. Anyone have experience with using frost cloth?

Sunset zone 24

I have seen front cloth for sale and it looks way too thin to be effective --- and way overpriced too!  Some people just stock up on cheap and ugly old blankets from Salvation Army or Goodwill instead.

Man, you have put so much time and sweat into that place!  My compliments.  My wife would never let me get away with it....the time part, that is.  She would kill me (I have young kids too, so...).

7 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I have seen front cloth for sale and it looks way too thin to be effective --- and way overpriced too!  Some people just stock up on cheap and ugly old blankets from Salvation Army or Goodwill instead.

Man, you have put so much time and sweat into that place!  My compliments.  My wife would never let me get away with it....the time part, that is.  She would kill me (I have young kids too, so...).

I hear ya with the young kid thing. I have two kids my self. It's a fine balance of time and money and more time.

I've never used frost cloth before. I consulted a couple places before I made the purchase and it seems that 1 ounce frost cloth was the best suit for our type of cold fronts.

Sunset zone 24

GHOSTS IN THE GARDEN.

I decided to cover up a few of the more tender palms at the vista garden the other day. I'm guessing I really didn't need to but I wanted to see how long it would take to cover up 20 small to very large palms as a test run. This will help me understand the scope of work when a real cold front comes down to San Diego. The forecast is calling calling for 33F. That will put the garden to at least 30F for 1 night possibly 2. The garden is located 405' ft high on a south facing hill. Sun hits the garden at 7:10 like clockwork. Cold is always a very short duration and the air drainage is very good. This is the first time I have ever covered up a palm tree. At my carlsbad garden where I live  I'm always 10-12 degrees warmer along the coastal belt than the inland vista garden.

since this is my first time using 1oz frost cloth, any techniques or  suggestions would be appreciated.

enjoy the ghostly pic's

IMG_3499.JPG.05659eafd820ff3c3572c903c07copernicia berteroana BEFORE

IMG_3500.JPG.f30ab97cfc56db35246dcf8b182AFTER

Sunset zone 24

IMG_3506.JPG.d5019c7d4534bb9261775228ba2Dypsis Pembana BEFORE

IMG_3507.JPG.7176cd00ab4be6cb11ef8ec5089Dypsis Pembana AFTER

Sunset zone 24

IMG_3505.JPG.e0ec5cb05619bf2bacc9a56113b getting ready to cover up a bottle

Sunset zone 24

Hers some other palms I covered up.

IMG_3516.JPG.799c9ec9a502cae07f7ac96887eIMG_3514.JPG.6e26822f9854f1031bb740c51fdIMG_3513.JPG.60ecc04abc90ef6e7315d6e48d3IMG_3512.JPG.d2d8d812f28ce7003d0e0d005ecIMG_3511.JPG.dfc32fad535ff6f9f658ca954d9IMG_3510.JPG.061d177fc7de4628709daaae5b8

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

2 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Hers some other palms I covered up.

IMG_3516.JPG.799c9ec9a502cae07f7ac96887eIMG_3514.JPG.6e26822f9854f1031bb740c51fdIMG_3513.JPG.60ecc04abc90ef6e7315d6e48d3IMG_3512.JPG.d2d8d812f28ce7003d0e0d005ecIMG_3511.JPG.dfc32fad535ff6f9f658ca954d9IMG_3510.JPG.061d177fc7de4628709daaae5b8

You're in such a moderate area. I think you might decide to let the chips fall where they may and NEVER cover anything in the future.

Looking pretty muddy out there.  Here too - I have a billion weeds coming up everywhere.  

Ben Rogers

1 hour ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

You're in such a moderate area. I think you might decide to let the chips fall where they may and NEVER cover anything in the future.

that was my initial thought as well. I wanted to see how long it would cover stuff up since I have never done this before.

Nothing like getting a little practice in :) 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

39 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Looking pretty muddy out there.  Here too - I have a billion weeds coming up everywhere.  

muddy for sure. things dry out pretty fast in between rain showers.

I nuke the weeds with round up 2-3  weeks after a rain event. pretty darn effective tactic for me.

Once I mulch the garden I shouldn't have much of a weed problem anymore

Sunset zone 24

1 minute ago, Josh-O said:

muddy for sure. things dry out pretty fast in between rain showers.

I nuke the weeds with round up 2-3  weeks after a rain event. pretty darn effective tactic for me.

Once I mulch the garden I shouldn't have much of a weed problem anymore

Yep - my front yard is mulched, very few weeds.  Back can't really be mulched because of steep slopes, and that's where I have to spray.  I'd prefer not to use glyophosate, but there's really no way around it when an absolute carpet of weeds pops up this time of year.

Ben Rogers