IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

Its your dream garden so I guess your sold on the concrete pathways. I would have made the paths with hardwood mulch? It would only improve your soil overtime and looks really cool. It works really well in Jeff Searle's garden. 

When are you planting the monster Dypsis 'Black Stem'?

Its your dream garden so I guess your sold on the concrete pathways. I would have made the paths with hardwood mulch? It would only improve your soil overtime and looks really cool. It works really well in Jeff Searle's garden. 

When are you planting the monster Dypsis 'Black Stem'?

Hi Ron, I gave it a lot of thought and considered mulch pathways. The reason why I decided to go with concrete pathways is I'm on a fairly steep slope. last rain fall we has did a good number on the pathways and was a mess to clean up and repair. If I was on flat ground I would do mulch walkways in a heart beat. I'mm gonna mulch around all the palms though.

As soon as I find another black stem I will POST PICTURES :lol:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I hope we get some rain tonight. We need it

Sunset zone 24

Absolutely poured here overnight and off and on throughout the day today - we got SOAKED!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Absolutely poured here overnight and off and on throughout the day today - we got SOAKED!

Gosh, we got some minor sprinkles only. I saw the radar for your area and it was red and yellow on the Doppler. Enjoy the free water :)  

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Wow, you have done a lot since I have been away. Can't wait for the next visit.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, you have done a lot since I have been away. Can't wait for the next visit.

I have been a busy beaver! I can't wait to hear about your trip.

Sunset zone 24

Ok, here it is. I had a few people PM me to post  my butia cap. X parajubea cocoides. 

this was a 2 strap leaf seedling 2 yrs ago. I planted it out as a 15 gal plant a few weeks ago.

SUPER FAST grower

butia_c._x_parajubea_c.thumb.jpeg.d03644

Sunset zone 24

what fertilizer are you using josh ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I use best palms plus. It's fairly inexpensive and is a pretty darn good fertilizer for my palm trees. It comes in 50 pound bags and is roughly $40 

Sunset zone 24

what fertilizer are you using josh ?

I fertilize about every four months with this product. It's more of a time release fertilizer 

Sunset zone 24

josh

Are you going to plant any Rhopalostylis sapida

Great Barrier Island and Chatham island are the best ones.

Also Rhopalostylis baueri cheesmanii  ?

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

josh

Are you going to plant any Rhopalostylis sapida

Great Barrier Island and Chatham island are the best ones.

Also Rhopalostylis baueri cheesmanii  ?

yes sir. I have lots of those. I have not planted any in the garden as of yet. I'm planning on planting a small grove of all 4 species to show case the differences each represent. 

Sunset zone 24

We finally finished laying out all the pathways in the garden on Thursday.The pathway project has taken much longer than expected and ended up being just under 800' of walkways that meander through the garden. here are a few pictures of last section of pathways that go through a small grove of avo's

11-8-15_(2).thumb.JPG.b8036373020e0a3ec011-8-15_(3).thumb.JPG.58b317c8361ed1a13911-8-15_(4).thumb.JPG.74581804dc77dfed2911-8-15.thumb.JPG.65d58bce804cd4e7aeecbc

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

I decided to bring in a few MONSTER 25 gal bottles palms into the garden. I already have one planted but I decided to plant a few more. I just brought these bad boys in today. They have between 30-33 rings of  and have 3' of solid wood trunk and will plant out at 12'+ tall

the last picture is next to a 30" box for scale.....

enjoy the pictures :) 

IMG_3162.JPG.6280cb0fb709a03777b727b6f69IMG_3166.JPG.2519c558bc34da24681bd4da170IMG_3167.JPG.f277e1b197810d53821aefe7c83IMG_3169.JPG.61a0460c42abb7d5a6d28083383

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

looks like rain is coming Sunday?  I hope all my pathway grading does not get ruined since I don't have any concrete poured yet.

Sunset zone 24

Josh, this is an incredible instant landscaping project! That was quite an impressive work.

i am looking forward to more pics :36_14_15[1]: :interesting:

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Josh, this is an incredible instant landscaping project! That was quite an impressive work.

i am looking forward to more pics :36_14_15[1]: :interesting:

I'm going to do some more planting next week. I'll post more pictures when I do :) 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

Man.. this is becoming Palmtalk's Opus!   Great collection of plants and it's nice to see them with immediate gratification!  You had mentioned the paths being 3 ft wide, if there is room for it, and no grade issues, I'd recommend pouring them wider...3ft only allows for single file walking, looks too narrow in proportion to most gardens and makes for a frustrating time when you have to maneuver plants to and from, etc.  Unless you have some large runoff areas, I wouldn't worry too much about the rain since it would only help with compaction.  Keep up the good work!

Edited by OverGrown

LA | NY | OC

7 hours ago, OverGrown said:

Man.. this is becoming Palmtalk's Opus!   Great collection of plants and it's nice to see them with immediate gratification!  You had mentioned the paths being 3 ft wide, if there is room for it, and no grade issues, I'd recommend pouring them wider...3ft only allows for single file walking, looks too narrow in proportion to most gardens and makes for a frustrating time when you have to maneuver plants to and from, etc.  Unless you have some large runoff areas, I wouldn't worry too much about the rain since it would only help with compaction.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks Peter,

I'm stuck at 3' wide pathways. the garden is on a sloping hillside and wraps around the side of a hill.. If I had flat ground I would of have done 4-5' wide pathways for sure.

I have a contractor coming over to give me a cement quote for the protect. I decided to go with color stamped concrete.

Cheers :) 

Sunset zone 24

On 13-11-2015 05:17:16, Josh-O said:

I decided to bring in a few MONSTER 25 gal bottles palms into the garden. I already have one planted but I decided to plant a few more. I just brought these bad boys in today. They have between 30-33 rings of  and have 3' of solid wood trunk and will plant out at 12'+ tall

the last picture is next to a 30" box for scale.....

enjoy the pictures :) 

IMG_3162.JPG.6280cb0fb709a03777b727b6f69IMG_3166.JPG.2519c558bc34da24681bd4da170IMG_3167.JPG.f277e1b197810d53821aefe7c83IMG_3169.JPG.61a0460c42abb7d5a6d28083383

Stunning palms, Josh. No chance of growing them here. Your palmetum is fantastic! Congrats.

9 hours ago, Peter Timmermans said:

Stunning palms, Josh. No chance of growing them here. Your palmetum is fantastic! Congrats.

Hi Peter, Have you tried to grow them indoors? They make very good potted house plants 

Sunset zone 24

17 hours ago, Josh-O said:

Thanks Peter,

I'm stuck at 3' wide pathways. the garden is on a sloping hillside and wraps around the side of a hill.. If I had flat ground I would of have done 4-5' wide pathways for sure.

I have a contractor coming over to give me a cement quote for the protect. I decided to go with color stamped concrete.

Cheers :) 

Josh - Hope your GC don't know palms. If he does and sees the $$$$$ value of what's planted, he may adjust your quote accordingly. 

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

3 hours ago, Moose said:

Josh - Hope your GC don't know palms. If he does and sees the $$$$$ value of what's planted, he may adjust your quote accordingly. 

the GC is a friends buddy and has done over 40 pathways for palm gardens here  in So. Cal.

the funny thing is that he really doesn't know anything about rare palms. :greenthumb:

He is a great concrete-smith

Sunset zone 24

unbelievable project !

Are you going to build a house on site ???

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

20 hours ago, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

unbelievable project !

Are you going to build a house on site ???

there are currently two homes on the property. one is a 2200sqft ranch style house that I rent out. The other is a 650 sqft studio house/granny flat I'm going to use as an office.

the garden is fenced in on 2 1/2 acres and keep separate from the rental properties.

Sunset zone 24

15 hours ago, aivalima said:

Great job!!!

Well done!!!

thanks George. It's been a labor of love.

Welcome to palm talk:)

Sunset zone 24

If this project turns out like all of us think it will turn out, you will need to consider seriously whether you can set up a non-profit to preserve it past your gardening years and make out open to the public. I wish I could time travel 40 years and see how everything filled in. (I'm thinking of the Ruth Bancroft garden up in the Bay Area.)

6 hours ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

If this project turns out like all of us think it will turn out, you will need to consider seriously whether you can set up a non-profit to preserve it past your gardening years and make out open to the public. I wish I could time travel 40 years and see how everything filled in. (I'm thinking of the Ruth Bancroft garden up in the Bay Area.)

not a bad idea. :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

19 hours ago, Josh-O said:

not a bad idea. :greenthumb:

Ruth is still up and kicking at 106! Wheelchair bound but mentally sharp....

• Upvote 1

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

13 hours ago, John Case said:

Ruth is still up and kicking at 106! Wheelchair bound but mentally sharp....

Whoa! 106!!!!! That's amazing.

Sunset zone 24

Wellllllllll, I was back at it again this last couple days.

I took advantage of the summer like weather we had and put a few more palms in the ground.

Dennis W. stopped by for another PRA (like his 20th) to help out with planting a few dypsis and some other cool nuggets.

please enjoy the pictures :) 

I decided to go ahead and plant out this massive  dypsis saintelucei. I have been holding out to see where I could plant this specimen to best show case its splendor. It;s not everyday one this size comes along and I wanted to make placement count.

5655359abb83e_dypsisstluci.jpeg.af3ebfe4565535a8d8031_dypsissaintluci3.jpeg.bc5c565535b91c677_dypsissaintluci.jpeg.18a36565535c5812d9_dypsisst.luci.jpeg.900a6e2

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

here is a triple planted Dypsis pembana that I decided would make a nice entry plant as you first walk into the garden.

I planted a 5 gal; and 2 15 gals in the same hole to give it a big clumping effect right from the start.

565536a4e8100_dypsispembana1.jpeg.d08d06

565536b823833_dypsispembana.jpeg.d27e4ed

565536d0e4095_dypsispembana2.jpeg.52dba4

Sunset zone 24

here is the Livistona saribus. this was planted out from a very large overgrown 15 gal

565538050a986_livistonasaribus(2).jpeg.45655380c7c34b_livistonasaribus.jpeg.3cdb

Sunset zone 24

say hello to my little syagrus cearensis.. It suckered 4 times but I may cut off two stems to give it the famous double look?

56553891b9ee1_syagruscearensis.jpeg.e4f85655389945f30_syagruscearensis(2).jpeg.9

Sunset zone 24

Incredible on-going effort.  It will be exciting to watch it continue to grow.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

1 hour ago, _Keith said:

Incredible on-going effort.  It will be exciting to watch it continue to grow.

Thanks Keith :greenthumb: It will be interesting to see how the garden evolves over the years.. So far I have a huge head start with big instant trees.

Sunset zone 24

is anyone else growing  syagrus cearensis ?

I use to hate this genus and now I love it.

Sunset zone 24

happy thanks giving everyone!! 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

On 11/24/2015, 11:23:41, Josh-O said:

here is a triple planted Dypsis pembana that I decided would make a nice entry plant as you first walk into the garden.

I planted a 5 gal; and 2 15 gals in the same hole to give it a big clumping effect right from the start.

565536a4e8100_dypsispembana1.jpeg.d08d06

565536b823833_dypsispembana.jpeg.d27e4ed

565536d0e4095_dypsispembana2.jpeg.52dba4

Can't seem to locate Triode in any of the pics ? :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B