IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

I got to see this project first hand today. I got to say that pictures don't do it justice at all. My head was spinning. It's nothing but prized palms. No fillers. Just awesome palms. His copernicia/coccothrinax section blew me away. I saw palms I have only seen pics of and some that I never even heard of. Your making something great out there Josh! I would normally say I can't wait to see it in 5 years but it looks insane NOW! 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Here are a few palms I planted last week in the garden. It's amazing to see how fast this garden is taking shape. I hope you enjoy these pic's.

I always enjoy your feed back. Please chime in if you are growing any of these species or have any positive feed back you may have. :)

ENJOY

D_ambo_before.thumb.jpeg.5eaf0d755316d383 15 gal Dypsis Ambositrae triple planting

D._ambo_3.thumb.jpeg.f682409c00e7f5e15c2after

Teddy_25_gal.thumb.jpeg.ac801639d1594c69 25 gal Teddy bear (one of my fav's)

Beccariophoenix_madasgarensis.thumb.jpegbeccariophoenix madagascariensis, My buddy is 5'10, for scale

parajubea_cocoides.thumb.jpeg.897d9e61b520 gal parajubaea cocoides

copernecia_fallense.thumb.jpeg.d619ea8f6copernicia fallaensis (holy grail status for California)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I got to see this project first hand today. I got to say that pictures don't do it justice at all. My head was spinning. It's nothing but prized palms. No fillers. Just awesome palms. His copernicia/coccothrinax section blew me away. I saw palms I have only seen pics of and some that I never even heard of. Your making something great out there Josh! I would normally say I can't wait to see it in 5 years but it looks insane NOW! 

Thanks for the awesome comment Steve!! I'ts always good to see you and I really enjoyed showing around the garden. I'm glad you noticed there aren't any filler palms :P

Sunset zone 24

It was a very long day yesterday. Dennis willoughby and I started to grade the 3' wide pathways to their proper slope and walking grade. The next step is to put up the forms and pour concrete. 

I'm not sure if I should do  color concrete, stamped or just the plain standard grey. What do you think. I would love to hear some feed back or Ideas :) 

image1.thumb.jpeg.2d1ce4e6930eadd0a8b5a7

image2_(3).thumb.jpeg.e1b6b1790d52497e84

image2.thumb.jpeg.1c609eb6a329befba0ce28

image1_(21).thumb.jpeg.20ed7dade15973912Dennis posing with a copernicia fallaensis  

It's amazing to see how the garden pop's when you start to do pathways.

enjoy the pictures :) 

• Like 2

Sunset zone 24

I think that the more natural look you give it the better. Stamped concrete with a flagstone pattern would look awesome. Real flagstone would be even better but that's $$.

To make it even more interesting, make the edges irregular as well, such as this one.

Also, grey would give nice contrast for your reddish brown soil you have there.

modern-exterior.jpg

Edited by Pando

I like those Ideas. I wish flag stone was in the budget :( I have over 1,000 ft of pathways to pour for the garden. I think flagstone and the labor would cost around 15-18 K minimum. It would be sweet to have an all stone walk way to accent all the plants

Sunset zone 24

I think that the more natural look you give it the better. Stamped concrete with a flagstone pattern would look awesome. Real flagstone would be even better but that's $$.

To make it even more interesting, make the edges irregular as well, such as this one:

modern-exterior.jpg

Pando, I like the stamped pattern in your picture. It that path way in your garden?

Sunset zone 24

I think a stamped brick type thing would be nice...

great suggestion Ben, I'm defiantly gonna look into that 

Sunset zone 24

To make it even more interesting, make the edges irregular as well, such as this one:

modern-exterior.jpg

Pando, I like the stamped pattern in your picture. It that path way in your garden?

No, that's just a pic I got off google, but soon I'll put in something like that. The irregular look to the stones and the edges is awesome.

No wonder your garden is coming along nicely with Dennis willoughby's imput !  I have been t ohis place and it is awesome

Down here we use exposed aggregate concrete ( cement with colored stones throughout it !

https://www.google.com/search?q=exposed+aggregate+concrete&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIoNT23OW2yAIVAiymCh0mgQt2

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I was over at Josh's place in Vista on Wednesday and it is really turning out very nice.

It's going to be one hell of a palm garden !

One can see Dennis's style incorporated.

Great Job Josh !

• Upvote 1

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

:drool:Just awesome! 

Did you drive to Florida for that C. Fallaensis!? I Can't believe it. Just keeps getting better Josh. Even I'll have to climb out the Valley to see this Garden in person soon.

No wonder your garden is coming along nicely with Dennis willoughby's imput !  I have been t ohis place and it is awesome

Down here we use exposed aggregate concrete ( cement with colored stones throughout it !

https://www.google.com/search?q=exposed+aggregate+concrete&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIoNT23OW2yAIVAiymCh0mgQt2

I just clicked on you lunk with the color pebble stones. I wonder how expensive that would be.

modern-exterior.jpg

No, that's just a pic I got off google, but soon I'll put in something like that. The irregular look to the stones and the edges is awesome.

Sunset zone 24

https://au.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=chr-greentree_ie&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=523482&p=walkmaker

I found this quick and easy to do , looks great with some colour mixed in the concrete . Gardens coming along great too by the way Josh .

Thanks Richie, I'll also look into it. :) 

Sunset zone 24

+1 on stamped & stained concrete 

So far i'm leaning towards that my self. Maybe some flag stone lines every 10-12' to break it up a bit?

Sunset zone 24

I was over at Josh's place in Vista on Wednesday and it is really turning out very nice.

It's going to be one hell of a palm garden !

One can see Dennis's style incorporated.

Great Job Josh !

It was a pleasure to have you over George :) 

Sunset zone 24

thanks for all your pathway suggestions. I'm gonna do some research and hopefully get the patch poured before Christmas

Sunset zone 24

Josh, if you go with a straight route (not irregular), defining an edge line to the slab also gives it a more elegant look. This usually isn't that much more expensive, as the edge line is just pressed in.

In your garden, you'll probably need to cut expansion joints at shorter intervals (like on the pic below) and definitely add reinforcement wire mesh. That way the plates can crack but they will not start moving vertically. Even though palm trees don't jack up the concrete like a ficus would, the palm tree roots still need to go somewhere, and the slabs will move over time. If your slab moves even a half-inch, it would create a trip hazard.

(not my image below)

texas-stamped-concrete-walkway-one-aweso

Josh, i chose Yosemite Brown for my walkways and looks great. Flagstone for the patios. I just dont think grey concrete looks good in the garden unless you at least stamp it.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I say stamp it and make it look natural with a color similar to your dirt color so when dirt gets on path it does not look messy.

Josh, if you go with a straight route (not irregular), defining an edge line to the slab also gives it a more elegant look. This usually isn't that much more expensive, as the edge line is just pressed in.

In your garden, you'll probably need to cut expansion joints at shorter intervals (like on the pic below) and definitely add reinforcement wire mesh. That way the plates can crack but they will not start moving vertically. Even though palm trees don't jack up the concrete like a ficus would, the palm tree roots still need to go somewhere, and the slabs will move over time. If your slab moves even a half-inch, it would create a trip hazard.

(not my image below)

texas-stamped-concrete-walkway-one-aweso

Gosh Darn Ando. I really dig how elegant the lines look along with the rounded edges. Not to mention having the concrete stamped with some sort of pattern really sets it apart and will make the garden really pop. Thanks for posting this picture :) 

Sunset zone 24

I say stamp it and make it look natural with a color similar to your dirt color so when dirt gets on path it does not look messy.

Right on Adam!! great suggestion..Ohhhh so many decisions I need to make..I figure I only have one chance to get the paths right the first time.

Sunset zone 24

Josh, i chose Yosemite Brown for my walkways and looks great. Flagstone for the patios. I just dont think grey concrete looks good in the garden unless you at least stamp it.

Gary, I really did your concrete color. It really stands out and look so darn good. It accents the natural beauty of your garden so well. I'm with you on not having boring grey concrete pathways. It will look to much like a city sidewalk :( 

Sunset zone 24

Here's an idea, stamp some fossils into the concrete:  :lol:

Fossil-Fish.jpg

afb81532d75bbee3d84c25ac2768adb7.jpg

CD1207images_Page_47_Image_0002_500.jpg

Those are awesome....TOTALLY awesome.

They did this at SD botanical gardens next to the tree house where the kids play area is. That's gotta be expensive.. 

Amazing none the less

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

This is what is used extensively for concrete stain in Hawaii - http://www.scofield.com/concretestain_main.html

It is amazing stuff. It isn't used as much for what you see in that link - but it is used like crazy on all the exterior rock work. I have used it on any and all concrete I use outdoors. All the joints in rock walls get sprayed with this a lot, and it changes the color so the rough concrete looks just like lava rock. After I have used it a lot, I have become more creative and mixed it a little to get more natural effects, with a little brown or a little grey - or over sprayed in artistic fashion. It is so easy to apply.

I never saw it before coming here. But if you get a little, you just put it in a little spray bottle (or little pump sprayer for larger areas) and mist the concrete - can be old or new - and it is kind of trippy what it does after a day. But experiment on old pieces of concrete before you do the real deal. Moistening the concrete first, or moistening/washing it off later, or diluting/mixing it, all yield different results. But that is the effect intended - to look natural and variable. For the rock wall joints I just lightly spray it and leave it alone - it doesn't affect the rock. If I want it a little darker, I just mist it again the next day - it is so effortless.

Here's a local company's website.

http://archonconstruction.com/decorativeconcrete.htm

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Hi Dean,

I just looked at the HTTP link and I gotta say this is pretty cool stuff!!! did you apply this on your outside concrete ?

My neighbor did this exact treatment on her down stairs concrete slab floor. I remember when she was going to do this I thought she was crazy. I was blow away at the results and how Bitch'n it looked when completed. 

Do you know how long this  looks lasts after it is applied?

Thanks for the great Idea :) 

Sunset zone 24

Well, I was over at the death camp (Dooms Dave's garden) and feasted my eyes on his 800lb gorilla of a parajubea tor tor and was inspired. I'm hoping mine gets as big as his some day. I'm calling mine an 80lb chimp for the time being....lol

parajubea_toryalli.thumb.JPG.604ded315f5

• Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

Hi Dean,

I just looked at the HTTP link and I gotta say this is pretty cool stuff!!! did you apply this on your outside concrete ?

My neighbor did this exact treatment on her down stairs concrete slab floor. I remember when she was going to do this I thought she was crazy. I was blow away at the results and how Bitch'n it looked when completed. 

Do you know how long this  looks lasts after it is applied?

Thanks for the great Idea :) 

Josh,

I have used this on all my outside concrete - just to get rid of the plain "concrete look." It is permanent. At least as permanent as it can be, as I'm guessing it only colors about 1/8" deep. Any deep wear and/or scratching/chipping would show raw concrete. I have also used it on some concrete tiki statues to make them look more natural with great results. It is somewhat of an art form - in that you should experiment with some old concrete first. After you understand how it works, then it is limited to your artistic imagination.

A lot of the finished look applications use a sealer. I have never done so, as large finished horizontal surfaces that need to be swept and kept clean have not been my use. But for the rough outdoor landscape look, it looks the same as day one after 13 years.

Tip #1 - wait at least a full day, maybe two, before reapplying (if needed) - as it continues to etch and color over the first full day or two. After the first hour, it will appear dry, but this will not be the finished color. Tip #2 - each application is unique. So don't expect to do half a sidewalk, then come back 6 months later and expect to match it exactly. Each concrete batch, weather, moisture, age, etc. will influence the color.

• Upvote 1

thanks for the info :)  I'm planning on meeting with my hardscape contractor in a couple weeks.

Cheers

Sunset zone 24

tomorrow, drip irrigation goes in. I'm sick of hand watering :rant:

Sunset zone 24

What drip type of drip emitters are you using???

Sunset zone 24

For in-ground palms I like the Dig 0-10 GPH adjustable drippers on a stake, they are in packs of 10 and 25 at HD. This is for the fact that they are adjustable, they stay put, tube goes in on the side, they can remain slightly elevated from dirt, can be cleaned by just unscrewing the cap, and work quite well.

680756a7-1767-4e57-9aad-a52cadce76e6_145

Smaller plants I have use the Dig 1 or 2GPH button drippers, but sometimes you are not quite sure if anything is coming out of them or not...

I use the DIG stuff too. I mostly use the button drippers but I have to keep a close eye. They'll get clogged and then pop off the tubing making for a mess. I've found that soaking the tubing in hot water helps attach it to the drippers. Overall it's a good setup and the price is right.