IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

Just planted a big 24" box mule. This is going to be one of my canopy trees for the garden.

image.thumb.jpg.9f44931889db31e416bd8160

image.thumb.jpg.ee6a5548774130ea62050bb9

• Upvote 1

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Went to sleep looking through this thread last night and ended up having dreams about digging holes and planting palm trees.

Happy dreams...:asleep:

Awesome project you got going on Josh. Looks like tons of hard work but still looks like plenty of fun. :greenthumb:

Just planted a big 24" box mule. This is going to be one of my canopy trees for the garden.

I love the form on that mule, nice and droopy without any plumose!  Great looking palm Josh. 

Carl

Vista, CA

Get trimmin' those Washies!  ;)

I think I'll cut them down next month. I'm going to have the stumps carved into tikis.

Sunset zone 24

I love the form on that mule, nice and droopy without any plumose!  Great looking palm Josh. 

I agree, this is a very nice form.

Sunset zone 24

Went to sleep looking through this thread last night and ended up having dreams about digging holes and planting palm trees.

Happy dreams...:asleep:

Awesome project you got going on Josh. Looks like tons of hard work but still looks like plenty of fun. :greenthumb:

Thanks Daniel, I'm having a blast creating this garden. I'm hoping to have almost 1,000 feet of concrete pathways formed and poured before Christmas.

Sunset zone 24

I keep laughing watching this thread... (in a good way Josh)... I wonder which one of us will finally make it to the others place to see their gems.. (although I did get to your Carlsbad pad)

Looking great my friend!

Can I stop by next week? Every time I google a particular palm I always come across some pictures of your garden...then I start to drool..lol :drool:

oops, just saw this.. When my work slows down from fixing AC units I'm sure we'll get together... I've got behind again with the recent heat waves.. 

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I keep laughing watching this thread... (in a good way Josh)... I wonder which one of us will finally make it to the others place to see their gems.. (although I did get to your Carlsbad pad)

Looking great my friend!

Can I stop by next week? Every time I google a particular palm I always come across some pictures of your garden...then I start to drool..lol :drool:

oops, just saw this.. When my work slows down from fixing AC units I'm sure we'll get together... I've got behind again with the recent heat waves.. 

no problem :) 

Sunset zone 24

Just planted a very nice  24" box "Cali coconut" beccariophoenix alfredii... There is no doubt this a super grower for us in Southern California.

I cant wait to see this get big and coconut like soon.

Thanks for looking..

B._alfredii_1.thumb.jpeg.b92cc48f47832ff

B_alfredii_2.thumb.jpeg.b6453ea8bad84296

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Sunset zone 24

I also got this fatty 20 gal clinostigma savoryanum in the ground. It's just now at that rocket ship stage where it is growing really fast,  finally..... :) 

please enjoy the pictures.

clinostigma_1.thumb.jpeg.d7a1f64f59fb025my friends hand for scale

clinostigma_2.thumb.jpeg.ef2429b00508fd9just got watered in

clinostigma_3.thumb.jpeg.2846b5987a425actrunk detail 

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

:o:o  I have never seen a palm garden started this way with so many mature palm - fantastic adventure indeed !

If you don't mind me asking how old are you Josh ?  Because if you are relatively young you are going to have a canopy of rare dypsis like the Jeff Marcus garden !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Just planted a very nice  24" box "Cali coconut" beccariophoenix alfredii... There is no doubt this a super grower for us in Southern California.

Thanks for looking..

Sweeeeettah! 

:o:o  I have never seen a palm garden started this way with so many mature palm - fantastic adventure indeed !

If you don't mind me asking how old are you Josh ?  Because if you are relatively young you are going to have a canopy of rare dypsis like the Jeff Marcus garden !

Hi Troy,

mi 39 yrs old :) and very determined to get a big garden by the time i'm 45yrs old..lol

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for looking..

Sweeeeettah! 

Thanks Danny

Sunset zone 24

Aw man where is the "palm a day" planting?  I was looking forward to it!  Seriously Josh, talk about instant garden.  :greenthumb:

Carl

Vista, CA

Aw man where is the "palm a day" planting?  I was looking forward to it!  Seriously Josh, talk about instant garden.  :greenthumb:

I just planted a ton of stuff yesterday. I'll post pic's soon

Sunset zone 24

best thread ever- bitchin

Thanks Robert :greenthumb: Its a fun yet labor intensive project. Next up is a 60 ton crane to place boulders in the garden...yikes :) 

Sunset zone 24

more pictures to come shortly.....

Sunset zone 24

OK, got the holes dug but is was a super long day...I'll have the after pictures Monday afternoon... stay tuned...

before.thumb.jpeg.e9d5a844d12d0683d2947b

left side is an 20 gal Archontophoenix maxima double , middle is a 15 gal Sabalsabal mauritiiformis and the far right one is a  20 gal "TRUE BLUE" butia compacta. 

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

I don't think I've ever seen that "Butia compacta" before.  I likey.

They are very hard to find :( It took me a long time to get this little guy. It's the bluest butia I have seen and the trunk dosent get that big. Pictures don't do this palm any justice. 

Sunset zone 24

I am so lucky to have Josh as a neighbor, he is like a turbo charged rhino with his enthusiasm! Some day we will have to host a Palm Society meeting!

Bob, I totally dig the fact that we are neighbors. It's fun that we can practically walk to each others gardens.

This week I pooped out planting palms. I'm so tired and sore from moving crap around all week long...

I think a PSSC meeting would be something I would be up to when the garden is complete??

Sunset zone 24

That is an odd Butia indeed, but I kinda like it...  In a way it reminds me of a C. Humilis var. volcano.

Josh

Butia compacta is a really nice palm

Cool that you are neighbors with Pogobob as i have stayed at Bob's last time i was over !

Get a Chatham Island Rhopalostylis from Joe palma they are growing really well in Bob's garden.

Next time i will walk over to your garden !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Josh

Butia compacta is a really nice palm

Cool that you are neighbors with Pogobob as i have stayed at Bob's last time i was over !

Get a Chatham Island Rhopalostylis from Joe palma they are growing really well in Bob's garden.

Next time i will walk over to your garden !

sounds good I'll have the cold beer waiting..

cheers!!

Sunset zone 24

just got a couple pictures of the palms that were just planted in those 3 empty.

before before.thumb.jpeg.7659ad55b04bc147393e1e

after after_1.thumb.jpeg.2999a4053fd025501f6e4

left side is an 20 gal Archontophoenix maxima double , middle is a 15 gal Sabalsabal mauritiiformis and the far right one is a  20 gal "TRUE BLUE" butia compacta. 

Sabalsabal mauritiiformis close up. It's showing very nice color after_2_sabal_mar..thumb.jpeg.1824de39f6

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24

Dang, I like that Butia, Josh!

Me too. It took me a couple of years to find the correct "compact" form.  I wish I could find seed so I can grow my own..

I like how blue it really is. pictures don't really do the color justice :( 

Sunset zone 24

Me too. It took me a couple of years to find the correct "compact" form.  I wish I could find seed so I can grow my own..

I know Bill in Fallbrook had some a while back, they definitely looked different, and I think that he had some large plants.  His plants are always large.  Yard's looking sharp, and I bet you still have lots of room to plant!

Edited by Sabal Steve

I know Bill in Fallbrook had some a while back, they definitely looked different, and I think that he had some large plants.  His plants are always large.  Yard's looking sharp, and I bet you still have lots of room to plant!

I have barley made a dent in the garden. I still have a boat load of space to plant. this project is going to be a few years long...

Sunset zone 24

hey josh

i was wondering where you got that butia compacta.  i got a huge one from bill in fallbrook a couple of years back and it looked so compact and awesome.  then when i planted it, it started growing out like a normal butia.  now it looks just like a normal butia.  maybe the compactness has something to do with it grown in a pot for so long.  just wondering.  i know bill has one in the front of the house at his nursery and it looks crazy!  it is holding like 30-40 leaves and its like a solid umbrella.  well i am hoping that if i just stop trimming mine, it will at least look like the one bill has in his front yard because it is awesome!!!!

here is a pic of the one in his front yard from long ago and a pic of mine when i first bought it one from him.  it was in a 30 gallon pot. also a pic of it first planted and how it looks today, 5 years later.  just sharing my experience.

btw ... your garden looks insane!!!  hope one day i could see it in real life!!!

tin

IMG_2013_1.JPG

IMG_2016_1.JPG

IMG_0927_2_1.JPG

IMG_2034_1.JPG

Edited by tinman10101
  • Upvote 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Tin - the form on yours looks different than Josh's.  Even in the pot it looks much less upright?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

yes i agree ben. :D  i think there are variations with "compacta form"  ... i was just inquiring if josh received his compacta from bill skimini in fallbrook since i know he said he collected from same seed source.  cheers

tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Hi Tin,

The seed came from his Dads plant. There are a few types of "compact" form going around and in IMO they are not true to form. There is a lot of variance in this species. Who knows, mine might end up growing into something like regular butia??? I can say with confidence that mine looks nothing like yours when yours was smaller. I'm hoping it will end up looking like Bills dads tree. :)  Thanks for posting pictures of yours. Its well grown and looks like it's a very happy tree:greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

I finally came to my senses today ..lol  I called in the big guns to drill some holes with a bobcat that was equipped with  a 24" W  x 4' long auger bit. It  would of normally take two guys to dig 60  15 gal to 24" box holes 3 weeks. It took us only 4 (might I say very short) hours with the help of my little friend the bobcat.

image1.thumb.jpeg.cca1f40a20d6f968af9d4c

image2.thumb.jpeg.ba5b4beee70a6bd6d4edd2the orange X marks the spot's

image3.thumb.jpeg.81be7e15e0ef2a3e386161drill power baby!!

image4.thumb.jpeg.fad112cb1f6d6fbb2c12cb3 holes in less that 5 minutes, BAM!

• Upvote 2

Sunset zone 24