• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Up and coming garden in Vista California / blank canvanas

Josh-O

I thought it would be fun to start a thread on my up and coming garden in Vista California. I wasn't planning on doing a thread but I got pressured into by a few PSSC members.. you know who you are...lol :mrlooney:

My wife and I bought and investment property almost 3 years ago in Vista California. My wife doesn't understand the palm disease like most of my friends so I needed a place to plant a garden where I can grow bigger stuff. I've been officially working in the garden for about 6 months. It's been a very slow project but its finally starting to pay off. I recently started planting palms on the south facing slope in a good micro climate. I've wanted to do this for some time now and I have finally made it a reality. The garden is located on 3 acres and was covered in very old stressed out Avocado trees that were neglected by the former property owner. It took several months-1 year to cut and remove all the trees and stumps. A total labor of love for sure. Now that I have all those avo's cut down the garden is a blank canvas ready to be created. The soil is dreamy.....Its has a 2 foot clay silt cap followed by pure DG and is easy to dig with a sharp shovel. My end goal is to just create a tropical oasis that will bring me joy and have a cool place to enjoy a Mai Tai. :)

post-7434-0-39199300-1441148265_thumb.jp Blank canvas

post-7434-0-66038000-1441148302_thumb.jp

I recently trenched and now have all the hard pie for the irrigation laid in place (that took much longer than planned) with the help of a very good palm buddy.

post-7434-0-90497700-1441148335_thumb.jp (BEFORE) Digging a pretty big hole for a palm I'm going to have craned in

post-7434-0-39859300-1441148483_thumb.jp (AFTER) Jubaeopsis Caffra has successfully been craned in place

MANY MORE PICTURES TO COME....

I plan on updating this thread every so often with some pictures of recently planted palms, rare trees, ETC

Please enjoy and thanks for looking :greenthumb:

post-7434-0-73661900-1441148450_thumb.jp

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Very exciting project.I look forward to seeing its progress!

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Thanks Ando I'll need it...

I'm only gonna focus on a section about 1/2 of an acre for now

Sunset zone 24

Very exciting project.I look forward to seeing its progress!

Me too :)

I'll keep pictures coming

Sunset zone 24

SCREAM

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ill post a couple more pic's tomorrow.

That Jubaeopsis is officially the first palm to planted in the garden

• Upvote 3

Sunset zone 24

What a great start, Josh. A Jubaeopsis to die for and very expensive I can imagine. Just curious. Were any of the avocado trees worth saving? They make great understory canopy and are so tropical in appearance. Keep us posted on progress!

• Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Nice Josh! Are there any structures on the property? Any long-term plans for the property besides shedloads of palms? :mrlooney:

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Josh,

What a super exciting project! And the Jubaeopsis caffra - way to go with your first palm! :) I believe that Mai Tai may happen very soon! :mrlooney:

Have fun (and I know you will)!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I hope the other palm you plant near the Jubeaopsis can hold up the other end of a hammock...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

What a great start, Josh. A Jubaeopsis to die for and very expensive I can imagine. Just curious. Were any of the avocado trees worth saving? They make great understory canopy and are so tropical in appearance. Keep us posted on progress!

I did manage to save 5 big avocado trees that produce good fruit. I love the way they look and wanted to maintain some kind of trees in the garden. The avo's are on the right side of picture # 2

yeah that Jube set me back a few pennies..lol

Sunset zone 24

Nice Josh! Are there any structures on the property? Any long-term plans for the property besides shedloads of palms? :mrlooney:

there are two homes on the property that are enclosed in their own fences separate from the garden. Its a perfect scenario for the garden :greenthumb:

Sunset zone 24

I hope the other palm you plant near the Jubeaopsis can hold up the other end of a hammock...

That picture will be posted very soon :mrlooney:

I already have the holes dug for the next batch of trees to be planted

Sunset zone 24

Josh,

What a super exciting project! And the Jubaeopsis caffra - way to go with your first palm! :) I believe that Mai Tai may happen very soon! :mrlooney:

Have fun (and I know you will)!

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo, It does put a big smile on my face planting cool palms. I'm having a blast

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Ben :)

I have some BIG dypsis that were planted.

pictures will come shortly

Sunset zone 24

Thanks Peter, I will post more pictures in the next couple days

Sunset zone 24

Only one thing more exciting than starting a brand new garden. And that's watching it grow and mature.

Looks like there is plenty of excitement in your future.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

With that kind of space you're doing the right thing.........thinking big!

Good luck on the ambitious enterprise.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks Dean.

My Carlsbad garden is completely planted out. So having a really big garden is just what the doctor ordered. I'm stocked!

Sunset zone 24

Very cool thread and I look forward to watching it all progress. Sounds like a real nice property you got in Vista if it's 3 acres and has 2 houses on it that you can rent out! I keep hoping that my next door neighbors in Fallbrook will one day want to sell their house so I can buy it, merge the yard into mine and rent out their home. Maybe one day.

Have fun with the new space. I started 2 years ago with 3 acres and it's lots of room. Do you have a well?

Northern San Diego County, Inland

Nice Josh! That's going to be a nice big garden. That Jubaeopsis looks great! I just got moved into a new place but not much to show off yet and not that much space. I'm jealous haha. Keep it up and looking forward to updates!

You're stoked, not stocked . . . .

I'm stoked too!

(The garden gets stocked.) :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

What a great beginning for a palm garden, wow! That Jubaeopsis caffra really caught my attention. Sweet!

Congratulations on your new plantings and may they increase exponentially. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Mai Tai's and some good Vista beer! You certainly have the room out there and already some very nice specimen palms! It will be fun to watch it grow and develop! :greenthumb:

Carl

Vista, CA

3 acres! What a palm canvas! A lot of work but ultimately a source of pride and accomplishment. Keep us posted, Josh. Reminds me I should take a some photos of my little .61 acre paradise.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Have fun with the new space. I started 2 years ago with 3 acres and it's lots of room. Do you have a well?

no I don't have a well yet. It's defiantly a thought I might pursue.

Sunset zone 24

Nice Josh! That's going to be a nice big garden. That Jubaeopsis looks great! I just got moved into a new place but not much to show off yet and not that much space. I'm jealous haha. Keep it up and looking forward to updates!

Thanks Chris.

I just noticed that my jubaeopsis has 3 flowers on it. It set viable seed last year form the first time.

cheers..!

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

What a great beginning for a palm garden, wow! That Jubaeopsis caffra really caught my attention. Sweet!

Congratulations on your new plantings and may they increase exponentially. :)

thanks Kim :)

Sunset zone 24

I'm also curious to know how you'll be able to irrigate the property

the trick is drip, great soil with water retention and mulch...home run!! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24