Matthew92

I guess this is a Corypha umbraculifera- at relatives place in Homestead. Planted in the early 2000's, had to be removed last year- had gotten way too big for the space it was in. Was taken out whole and transplanted somewhere else.

Reportedly in Wilma, the huge leaves were especially susceptible to tattering in the wind, and in the 2010 FL freeze, I was told it did get burned a little.

Earliest picture I have of it from mid-2003 can be seen on the far left:

2mdp0mp.jpg

Edited by Opal92

Matthew92

July 2013 not too long before it's removal- was getting absolutely massive. At this point they had already dug around the rootball and braced it ready for removal and transplant.

eg3976.jpg

Jeff Searle

In post #5, is that a two headed Hyphane palm off to the right?

Josh-O

Jeff, you have a good eye. I overlooked that my self

Matthew92

In post #5, is that a two headed Hyphane palm off to the right?

Yes, it is a gingerbread. It has been there for years and grown VERY SLOWLY. Probably just that particular location. There is a nice, tall, branching one at the Miami Zoo as well as Fairchild.

Jeff Searle

Thank you. Another palm you don't see many around, and for no good reason.

Moose

Jeff, I suspect their slow growth may be the reason. I planted one 22 years ago that was dispatched by an idiot with a truck. Due to its slow rate of growth, I never replaced it.

Edited by Moose

bubba

Saw and have watched a very large Talipot planted unwittingly near a small house. It is now becoming gigantic and overpowers the house. The owner seems oblivious.

Josh-O

:interesting:, whats the next move?

topwater

I love the giant fan palms, Cophyra and the two Borassus are faves of my mine though I can grow neither :(  How did the tree do after the move?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• pavi
      By pavi
      Chambeyronia macrocarpa opening new leaf
    • Coryphagrowers
      By Coryphagrowers
      Hola,
      We had the opportunity to collect seeds from an adult Talipot palm in Costa Rica, and decided to germinate them, we had luck and most of them are growing now. Almost a year later, another Talipot palm had mature fruits, and we collected most of them. We have had several people interested in getting some Corypha umbraculifera seeds, but we are very new to this shipping seeds process, so we wanted to know if someone here has information on the best way to pack these seeds to be able to ship to the USA, or maybe another country also, bus specially to the US. We know we need to provide a phytosanitary certificate given by our Costa Rica Ministry of Agriculture, so the seeds can cleared out of US customs without any problem. Any other information you can provide will beef great help, most interest on the best packaging material, plastic bags? or boxes? do they need to be vacuum sealed? or just normal seal? the tags that need to be stick to the package? 
      Hope someone can guide me a little with this topic.
      Thanks in advance!
      Pura vida!
      Paola
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      Last Sunday afternoon my husband decided to drop in on a Ft. Myers Palm Park, the one by the former railroad museum, to see what was up. Overall, the palms look okay but rather ungroomed, likely because of covid issues. But some of the palms were seeding and we scarfed some Copernicia baileyana and prunifera seeds that had escaped being cut down last year.
      We also saw a juvenile Corypha umbraculifera that is already well on its way to dominating the rest of the park. It is already larger than my Sabal causiarum. My husband immediately fell in love with it. But I don't plan on getting one. I already have a young Tahina spectabilis and one giant monocarpic palm is enough. My husband took the following photos of that choice Corypha.
      Corypha umbraculifera juvenile, Fort Myers, FL 2021

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Does anyone know what these agaves are? I thought they were both Agave americana but now I think these might both be different species. I’ll need to get a better picture of the variegated one tomorrow. 

• Prinpalms
      By Prinpalms
      Cyrtostachys renda, the Red Sealing Wax Palm (also known as the Lipstick Palm) , has the well-deserved reputation of not being able to grow 'en la tierra' in Southern Florida. Notoriously cold-sensitive,
      It can 'brown off' at 40 degrees F. Attached photograph shows a 10-year old plant doing quite well on Miami Beach. It has a western and southern exposure and is shielded from the north. There are two 'tall' trunks , reaching 10 feet (highest point). The palm has managed 46 degrees F with no damage. On the same evening, temperatures 1-2 miles inland (Coral Gables) were 42 degrees.  South Florida has had a long streak (?15+ years) of mild winters. I can testify to knowing of fruiting breadfruit trees 25 feet high a mile from Biscayne Bay (something unthinkable 30 years ago), anecdotal evidence of climate change. Are other enthusiasts having success with the stunning Red Sealing Wax palm in Miami and environs?  Just curious.