IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea X Butia F3 growth in SE NC

Joe NC

27 minutes ago, petrppetrov said:

Hi Vic,

beautiful palm with nice color .

Can you name for me the Trachycarpus species on the left,magnificent plant.

The Trachycarpus to the left of the hybrid is latisectus

Hi Vic,

truly a very nice plant. I love the hybrids with Jubaea, Butia and especially Syagrus. But it's hard to find seeds or seedlings in Europe.

You have to be lucky for such a beautiful plant.

Eckhard

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes_metri

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking so hot.  95% brown (at least)

IMAG0567.thumb.jpg.ca94443b06d62bf9017ca

Lost another emerging frond....  I'm hitting it with the H202, and hoping it will manage to push out some leaves.  With the slow growth of this plant, it will look a little sad for a while if it pulls through...  Might be a fresh spot open this year.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018, 6:54:20, frienduvafrond said:

Any updates on this?  I am hopeful for the cocosoid hybrids in this area.

No signs of growth yet, but still has a little bit of green in a frond or two.  I have gone through a few bottles of H202, and there is no funk coming from the hole where the newest fronds used to be...  Even my large Butia looks awful and hasn't pushed any new growth according the sharpie lines I drew on the spear. 

Hope it pulls through for you, but no growth by April seems like a bad sign.  Most of my Butia and Trachycarpus ended up with major spear damage, but have pushed about 3-4" so far despite the cool spring weather.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I started in with some trunk cutting, because it wasn't looking promising.  I'm pretty sure the meristem is toast, well more like a gross white soup.  RIPIMAG0765.thumb.jpg.36c23ccfdf755c293fb3d 

7 hours ago, Joe NC said:

I started in with some trunk cutting, because it wasn't looking promising.  I'm pretty sure the meristem is toast, well more like a gross white soup.  RIPIMAG0765.thumb.jpg.36c23ccfdf755c293fb3d 

I'm sorry to hear that. What a terrible Winter for everyone. RIP

I guess we’ll be switching to junipers and boxwoods. :sick:

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

On 5/7/2018, 9:30:09, Brad Mondel said:

I guess we’ll be switching to junipers and boxwoods. :sick:

My nightmares are filled with Knockout roses and Bradford pears.  Even worse are all the smug people who tell me "palms don't belong here anyway".  I usually respond with something about Asian azaleas and crape myrtles, vs two Sabal species actually being native.  Every time one of my pinnate experiments fails, my trachycarpus army just grows larger.  I'm up to 18 in the ground with many more new recruits growing from seed.

• Upvote 4

On 5/9/2018, 8:00:26, Joe NC said:

My nightmares are filled with Knockout roses and Bradford pears.  Even worse are all the smug people who tell me "palms don't belong here anyway".  I usually respond with something about Asian azaleas and crape myrtles, vs two Sabal species actually being native.  Every time one of my pinnate experiments fails, my trachycarpus army just grows larger.  I'm up to 18 in the ground with many more new recruits growing from seed.

This statement kills me everytime! Even got it bad from a local nursery and she even called me a bold face liar til I showed her pictures and she then called me crazy and walked away. Anyways sorry to hear about your palm.

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

I know we don't always get to choose our geography -- the reality of jobs, family, etc. may locate us in a less than ideal growing zone.  But in terms of Georgia and South Carolina and parts of North Carolina, when I studies the weather records it seems the 'Fall Line' cities are very capable of sustaining the cold hardy pinnate palms (Jubaea x Butia under discussion).  It's not that points north and west can't work but then at least being on the southeast side of 'urban heat' and or micro-climate protections may be required for long-term survival.  My 2 cents...

fall_line.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2018, 5:59:26, RJ said:

Joe how did the   (BxJ)xJ do?

-RJ

Toast.  A heavy warm summer rain did that one in the second I planted it in the ground.  It did not like losing the perfect drainage the pot provided.  I even pulled it out and repotted, but it just lingerd without a spear until all the remaining outer leaves slowly died.  

Sorry for your loss.  I'm trying a Canary Island Date Palm next year.  I've been growing it out from a single spear I bought on eBay in March 2017, and it is now completely filling out a 7 gallon container (6.24 gallons to be exact).  The CIDP at the Checkers is looking pretty good these days and handled that single digit freeze.  I think my CIDP will be ready for the ground in April 2019.

Edited by Anthony_B
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/23/2018 at 2:23 PM, Joe NC said:

IMAG0548.thumb.jpg.c53a6f1e775f6ae00a41c

Looking really crispy and finally had spear pull.  It lost 4 of the newest emerging leaves.  With that kind of loss, and it's relatively slow growth, it will be lucky to push 2 or three full leaves this year if it recovers.

Did it survive?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Where can I get JxB seeds?

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 11/15/2020 at 12:36 AM, Brad Mondel said:

Did it survive?

Nope!

I ended up cutting and giving it h202 but had no luck.  All of the meristem was just pudding.

On 11/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, climate change virginia said:

Where can I get JxB seeds?

I bought some F2 from RPS in oct 2015.  Dosen't  look like they have any in stock at the moment.  I bought a small packet and only had one germinate in the spring of 2016.  It was eaten to nothing by a huge grashopper and died.  I let the other seeds sit in a pot until 2018 when I finally gave up on them and planted some other stuff in there.  I completely forgot about the seeds until this summer when I had 2 more germinate!  I actually dug them up to confirm that the sprout was coming from the unmistakably  large seed.

If you do find seeds, patience is key....

Also there are some threads around about cracking them open and germinating the naked kernel.  I usually just get moldy seeds as the result...

20201117_091151.thumb.jpg.81cc9b341505065ce9a6cca412f6dd2a.jpg

BXJ F2 5 years after planting the seed....

7 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I bought some F2 from RPS in oct 2015.  Dosen't  look like they have any in stock at the moment.  I bought a small packet and only had one germinate in the spring of 2016.  It was eaten to nothing by a huge grashopper and died.  I let the other seeds sit in a pot until 2018 when I finally gave up on them and planted some other stuff in there.  I completely forgot about the seeds until this summer when I had 2 more germinate!  I actually dug them up to confirm that the sprout was coming from the unmistakably  large seed.

If you do find seeds, patience is key....

Also there are some threads around about cracking them open and germinating the naked kernel.  I usually just get moldy seeds as the result...

20201117_091151.thumb.jpg.81cc9b341505065ce9a6cca412f6dd2a.jpg

BXJ F2 5 years after planting the seed....

that grows slow did you happen to not repot it after you see roots at the bottom of the pot was it neglected

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

2 hours ago, climate change virginia said:

that grows slow did you happen to not repot it after you see roots at the bottom of the pot was it neglected

I would think we are still years away from having roots growing out of the pot as a problem...  For most of the 5 years this thing sat as a seed in the dirt, and the two leaves you see are just from 2020 (I'd say average to above amount for a Butia seedling in one growing season?)

The point of my post is, they can take years to even germinate.  (so don't give up on them too soon).  Also maybe look into the seed cracking method.

9 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

I would think we are still years away from having roots growing out of the pot as a problem...  For most of the 5 years this thing sat as a seed in the dirt, and the two leaves you see are just from 2020 (I'd say average to above amount for a Butia seedling in one growing season?)

The point of my post is, they can take years to even germinate.  (so don't give up on them too soon).  Also maybe look into the seed cracking method.

the cracking method is good and you could germinate them in long fiber orchid moss on a heat mat then pot them up

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Here's my JxB f3.... it was cut back pretty good in mid summer...  while not my fastest palm.. I still would consider it a pretty quick grower. 

20201122_164801.jpg

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, swolf said:

I know we don't always get to choose our geography -- the reality of jobs, family, etc. may locate us in a less than ideal growing zone.  But in terms of Georgia and South Carolina and parts of North Carolina, when I studies the weather records it seems the 'Fall Line' cities are very capable of sustaining the cold hardy pinnate palms (Jubaea x Butia under discussion).  It's not that points north and west can't work but then at least being on the southeast side of 'urban heat' and or micro-climate protections may be required for long-term survival.  My 2 cents...

fall_line.jpg

I live right on the potomac which is on the fall line but no pinnate palm could survive where I live without at least burlap then frost cloth then a tarp and if we get a cold blast we have to use xmas lights

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 7/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, Joe NC said:

Toast.  A heavy warm summer rain did that one in the second I planted it in the ground.  It did not like losing the perfect drainage the pot provided.  I even pulled it out and repotted, but it just lingerd without a spear until all the remaining outer leaves slowly died.  

maybe a jubaea x butia x butia would do better (if thats a thing) butias should be fine with humidity

Edited by climate change virginia

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 5/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, Joe NC said:

say something like most of the palms in LA are imported from all over the world they only have one native palm species versus north carolina you have sabal palmettos and sabal minors that are native there

• Like 1

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 12:37 PM, mdsonofthesouth said:

Yeah around the DMV it really depends on where you're at. In my old town and where I used to work in NOVA most folks though it was northeast, but crossing the Delaware memorial bridge is the border to the northeast in my books as the culture shock and change is stark after that bridge. But get out where I am and you'll see rebel flags and lots of front porch sitting, yall is used and when someone says "Bless your heart" (like my grandparents used to say to me all the time lol) its not a complement! Honestly its all in where you're at in the DMV. I for one have had family in Virginia since Jamestown, and they started moving up to Howard County, PG county and tidewater from the 1860s up til the 1950s. My grandparents are the first generation of my family to start the conversion of pronouncing the OI in "coin" the more common or northern way, while growing up she called then co - ins. The flip side is my wife is first generation born here, like alot of folks here, and she has FAR different cultural aspects to her and we grew up 30 minutes from each other. Her name for certain objects really show the cultural differences you can easily find in the DMV. While Id love to be 100% southern here for convenience, its neat to see the differences of some transplants...the rude ones can leave though. 

I'm pretty sure the Palm near me that has seen 100% of this winter is most likely dead. Sadly the nursery isn't answering in the off season and its gated. Will likely be getting musa basjoo from them. Hope your palm fairs well when it warms, I'm slowly learning about the delay in palm damage and how they like to wait til warm weather is the norm to show you the full situation. I've been doing peroxide on my pulled palms in hopes that it works and I sure hope it works for you too! If this weather is anything, its an indicator that this wont be our last blast of arctic weather. I just feel like feb will be just as bad, but am hopeful for an early spring. Basically going to keep reading @TexasColdHardyPalms posts in the weather section as his predictions this winter may have helped me save some palms...not to mention when he said get ready for cold, sure enough that cold came! 

I assume yall are going to have a warm up here soon? I think ours starts today (compared to the freak weather) and will be seeing 50s starting tomorrow hopefully, but again as this winter has shown the forecast can change on a whim!

I went to swva and it was crazy how different it is from the suburbs we still have some southern elements like we sit on the porch (if you have one) but no confederate flags because where we live is anti racist and liberal and im fine with that southern hospitality and some southern culture but we still have yalls and all that stuff and some people have southern accents but nothing like rural virginia

Edited by climate change virginia

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

On 1/18/2018 at 2:05 PM, mdsonofthesouth said:

HAHA no thank God! DMV has a few meanings: Delmarva (not mine) or Delaware/Maryland/Virginia. But yeah I have heard that very same arguement from those south of me. My "southern-ness" has been defended by folks in the deep south, but has been "attacked" by yankees or folks up in WV and vice versa! Its a weird contest to me honestly, that I typically dont care to get into. I know who I am and what my roots are B) Oh and most who hear me talk think Im from VA or NC and are puzzled when I say MD.

one time I went to WV and someone who was my age asked me where I'm from and he called me a stinking yankee but he said something a little worse than that but I'm trying to keep this forum family friendly

~ Neil deGrasse Tyson