IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palm three years later

Palm crazy

This palm only receives about 4 hours of full sunlight, so I say it’s looking pretty good for such a little amount of sunlight.

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00026_zpsykcepj61.jpg

Your plants always look good.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Oh yeah.

That thing will grow and turn into a monster. More sun is better.

But, monsters will be monsters. (Like boys.)

I'm sure there will be more pictures to come.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I agree with David.. Your palms are always awesome without blemish (unlike mine lol).. as does the garden. That emerging spear is huge... the leaflets look very long too, gives it a more tropical look.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Agreed, the long leaflets look super tropical. A very nice side effect of limited sun. BTW, your cordylines look a heckuva lot better than mine. I bought several from a nursery and the tag said "full sun". Little did I know, they thrive in partial shade situations. Oh well! Always enjoy looking at your photos.

Pal Meir thanks for the smily face… :winkie:

Alice hunter thanks a lot man, I really wish you would post more of your garden you have some awesome palms and exotics.

Dave thanks, I wish I had more sun for this mule palm, but the large holly tree its growing under does a good job of protecting it in winter.

ArchAngle thanks for the complement. I hope you have a fantastic garden when you return back to your home state.

SailorBold always a pleasure to see you posting. I trimmed up the holly tree this spring so more light will come in, and it made a huge difference. Can’t wait to see update on yours!

Smithgn thanks for the complement. Yea, I’ve had the same experience here with plants that say full sun but then they get burnt. LOL! I have a few rhodies like that! The red cordylines are red star and are two years old.

Just a little teaser of whats to come this fall, two more photos. The big photo report this year will be in late Sept. Hope you all have some great pics to share too.

Green butia trunk looking fab.

DSC00054_zpssmans2jp.jpg

I love trachy’s at this stage they look so good and it won’t be long till this one is over my head. The little feather palm to the right is a BxJ.

DSC00135_zpsqt6685zh.jpg

Thanks for looking.

More sun is better but

Mule will eclipse a mere holly tree . . .

With time.

Do, please keep us apprized.

si si? oui oui?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Your yard always looks so lush. Given how far north of me you are I'm still surprised to see how well the palms do in your area. Everything is such a deep green too. Nice growth on the mule given I know they love the heat and sun.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Here’s another update, only two weeks and the center spear is opening a new leaf. Temps have really cool down, to upper 60’s but this mule keeps on trunk’n. 

DSC00081_zpshk8yja05.jpg

DSC00084_zpst0tlsxhi.jpg

DSC00080_zpsmtoznsd4.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Nice!! It's always fun to watch progress on a palm tree

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24