meteorologistpalmguy

Jubaea x Syagrus growth in 5 1/2 months

NCpalmqueen

Gosh.  I tried searching for jub x queen on this forum before I posted another thread about jx queen.  Came up empty-handed.  So sorry for my post from yesterday with same topic.   

OC2Texaspalmlvr
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Looking good!  I will have the 2-year update on mine to come in May.

Cant wait to see the pics very interested in getting my hands on one of these

meteorologistpalmguy

F2C4B905-A1AD-4F02-B767-70FED2A45DC3.thumb.jpeg.44a259f2a21bb85574806df091738f98.jpeg

Well it has been about a year... so here is an update on this palm.   Picture is from the second story of my house, and the Jubaea seen to the right of the JXS is likely twice the age (if not more) of the JXS.  Its growth rate is just insane. 

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

I've seen this palm in person and it is magnificent.  Great job!!!

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I want this palm more then any other palm out there haha 

love the updates @meteorologistpalmguy its a stunner !!!

JLM

That palm is already a beast! Great job!

8B palms

Hi Beau,

So I posted these pics before of my Jubaea x Syagrus as of this year, the large one has been in the ground about 6 years and the small one believe it or not is the same age it just languished in a pot for too long and only went in the ground last year. The girth of the trunk of the large JxS is about 28 inches and has a circumference of over 7 feet.  My soffits are about 7 feet off the ground so that might give some perspective, I estimate the tip of the tallest frond to be around 18 feet maybe thereabouts.  The crown spread is about 23 feet.  I am hopeful maybe it might flower this year I'll have to wait and see.  I know there are several of this cross growing in the south east and all over the USA and beyond. Maybe others can share their pics.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Sandy Loam

Wow! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Alex37
      By Alex37
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I'm looking for butiagrus seeds (Butia x syagrus r.), I live in Italy, is there anyone who has them?
    • CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      I soaked them for 3 days (May 3-5) and placed in a 4:1 mixture of perlite and peat moss. 28 seeds split into 5 pots, 1 indoors (around 78F) and 4 outdoors (around 90F day - 75F night). Was expecting to wait 6 months to a year for germination. Surprisingly, the first to sprout was in the indoor pot! Since then I've moved all 5 into the garage (80's-90'sF) and I look forward to more action!
      A quick question, when is a good time to transplant it into its own pot with more nutritious soil?

• Marc
      By Marc
      How does one tell 5 gallon jubaea from beccariophoenix alfredii?  I have inadvertently commingled some, and while there are noticeable differences when these palms get larger (such as yellow petioles for the beccariophoenix alfredii, and the jubaea fronds and leaflets are stiffer), for smaller plants I'm having difficulty telling them apart.  Does anyone have some easy keys for differentiating them?

Marc
    • SEVA
      By SEVA
      I recently acquired several different Tillandsias to add to my collection.  I've included a few in the photo below.  Does anyone know the cold hardiness of the non-native forms and hybrid?  I'm thinking they aren't as hardy as our native Spanish moss, but figured I'd check if anyone on here knows.  For now, I plan to treat them like I do for my other non/less cold hardy Tillandsia species.

From left to right: Tillandsia usneoides thick form, Tillandsia usneoides native form (for comparison purposes), Tillandsia usneoides super fine form, and Tillandsia recurvata x usneoides
    • Manalto
      By Manalto
      I'm not at the house at the moment but my neighbor sent me this photo of my mule palm that has been in the ground about a year. I guess it had blown over in the wind. He staked it for me.
      I noticed, the last time I was there and working in the yard, that it was wobbly. It's in the shade  in the early morning  but  gets full sun for the rest of the day. Are they known for having weak root systems? Any suggestions?