meteorologistpalmguy

Jubaea x Syagrus growth in 5 1/2 months

NCpalmqueen

Gosh.  I tried searching for jub x queen on this forum before I posted another thread about jx queen.  Came up empty-handed.  So sorry for my post from yesterday with same topic.   

OC2Texaspalmlvr
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Looking good!  I will have the 2-year update on mine to come in May.

Cant wait to see the pics very interested in getting my hands on one of these

meteorologistpalmguy

F2C4B905-A1AD-4F02-B767-70FED2A45DC3.thumb.jpeg.44a259f2a21bb85574806df091738f98.jpeg

Well it has been about a year... so here is an update on this palm.   Picture is from the second story of my house, and the Jubaea seen to the right of the JXS is likely twice the age (if not more) of the JXS.  Its growth rate is just insane. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 3

TexasColdHardyPalms

I've seen this palm in person and it is magnificent.  Great job!!!

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I want this palm more then any other palm out there haha 

love the updates @meteorologistpalmguy its a stunner !!!

JLM

That palm is already a beast! Great job!

8B palms

Hi Beau,

So I posted these pics before of my Jubaea x Syagrus as of this year, the large one has been in the ground about 6 years and the small one believe it or not is the same age it just languished in a pot for too long and only went in the ground last year. The girth of the trunk of the large JxS is about 28 inches and has a circumference of over 7 feet.  My soffits are about 7 feet off the ground so that might give some perspective, I estimate the tip of the tallest frond to be around 18 feet maybe thereabouts.  The crown spread is about 23 feet.  I am hopeful maybe it might flower this year I'll have to wait and see.  I know there are several of this cross growing in the south east and all over the USA and beyond. Maybe others can share their pics.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Sandy Loam

Wow! 

climate change virginia

where can I buy this?

8B palms

Patric Shaffer generates these crosses but I have not seen this hybrid on his recent availability palm lists. But you can contact him and see when he might next have them available. They are basically about 2 blades of grass for about $150 and the slightly larger ones where going for $225, so they are not cheep, however they are rockets once in the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RJ
On 6/20/2020 at 12:38 PM, meteorologistpalmguy said:

F2C4B905-A1AD-4F02-B767-70FED2A45DC3.thumb.jpeg.44a259f2a21bb85574806df091738f98.jpeg

Well it has been about a year... so here is an update on this palm.   Picture is from the second story of my house, and the Jubaea seen to the right of the JXS is likely twice the age (if not more) of the JXS.  Its growth rate is just insane. 

Did this beauty make it through the great freeze? :unsure:

• Like 1

necturus

22 hours ago, RJ said:

Did this beauty make it through the great freeze? :unsure:

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately!), he no longer lives there. I hope the current owners don't take the saw to it too early... I would give it all summer.

I dug my much smaller ones out of the ground, which I now regret. The smallest one looks okay, but the bigger one looks rough. I thought these would transplant as well as mules, but I guess I was wrong. :( We'll see.

• Like 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

I really hope it made it but i doubt we will ever find out =/

• Like 1

Meangreen94z

Crazy, didn’t realize he had moved. I guess that explains the lack of posts from him.

RJ
13 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Crazy, didn’t realize he had moved. I guess that explains the lack of posts from him.

Same here didn't realize that either. Must of been hard to leave that palm behind! 

Meangreen94z
2 hours ago, RJ said:

Same here didn't realize that either. Must of been hard to leave that palm behind! 

I bought his other one, and subsequently sold it 6 months later. Talking to him it sounded like that was his dream home, but plans change. 

• Like 1

Collectorpalms
On 3/13/2021 at 9:43 AM, Meangreen94z said:

I bought his other one, and subsequently sold it 6 months later. Talking to him it sounded like that was his dream home, but plans change. 

You SOLD it OH MY... It May be the only known one left in TX? I sure hope they SAVED it from the Freeze even if they had to place it under the covers of their bed to keep it a JUBILATION!!!

Edited by Collectorpalms

Meangreen94z
8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

You SOLD it OH MY... It May be the only known one left in TX? I sure hope they SAVED it from the Freeze even if they had to place it under the covers of their bed to keep it a JUBILATION!!!

Did it ever make it in the ground? Any pictures ? 

Collectorpalms
1 hour ago, Meangreen94z said:

Did it ever make it in the ground? Any pictures ? 

Hey, I just decided two months ago I wasn’t moving or know I wasn’t dying.

Now, where just to put it…. and what is it going to turn into. They are a bit variable, and it’s having a potassium or other issue. I am working on it, and it’s working on giving me some new fronds. So we are working it out. 

Thank you! 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1