IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mardi Darian, Vista, CA Love for Madagascar Palms

Phil

Palm Society,

It saddens me to announce the passing of another palm legend, Mardi Darian of Vista, California. Many have known Mardi for decades. In fact, we just had a tour of his garden by the PSSC in early July of this year. Unfortunately, on this past Tuesday, 25 August, Mardi died. He was 82 years old. I confirmed this with his wife, Cherie, a few minutes ago. He passed away in peace with no pain.

Mardi was best known for his knowledge of the palms of Madagascar. He made a total of eleven trips to that island over several decades to study its palms. He was influential in describing species that were later formally named by palm taxonomists. In fact, one very exotic Madagascar species, Marojejya darianii, was named after him. After his many trips, he returned with seeds of countless species for germination and later introduction into his and other enthusiast's gardens. The palms of Madagascar was one of his greatest passions.

He started his 3.5 acre garden in Vista in the early to mid-sixties of last century. Area by area, sometimes with the usage of dynamite and land excavators, he added more and more garden space until he had achieved one the most renowned gardens in the country. It not only had palms form Madagascar, but also many rare species from around the world. On the trunks of his overhead trees he artistically added epiphytic plants including orchids, bromeliads, ferns and other exotic plants. Around every bend in the garden were more surprises. We have few gardens (even botanical gardens) that rival what he created around his home. And, with age, many of these rare palm species now tower overhead.

I have known Mardi for about thirty years. He has been a speaker for the Palm Society on multiple occasions and hosted our Society into his garden several times. All attendees have been amazed at the beauty and pure creativity of his garden. As a person Mardi was indeed unique and overtly displayed his passion for the palms. All agreed that, in his own right, he was an true expert and lover of palm trees and plants in general. His wife Cherie, described him as the most honest many she's ever known. She said "plant were his life". I am so thankful that we toured his garden last month. Something told me that we "had to do it now". And, he was there to enjoy and appreciate everyone that came on that tropical, rainy day. I have posted pictures elsewhere of his garden and that visit.

Mardi is survived by his wife Cherie and three children: Glenda, Michelle and Gerard.

All will miss him dearly.

Phil Bergman

San Diego, CA

post-114-0-64871500-1440798119_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

What a gift it was to those of us who were fortunate enough to attend the PSSC meeting at his garden just a few weeks ago. It was an experience I'll never forget and we are all the beneficiaries of his incomparable legacy.

Rest in Paradise, Dr. Darian.

Such tragic news. He was such an inspiration and valuable resource for me. How fortunate and lucky I was to end up being his neighbor, simply by chance. I will miss all the calls and visits. We were fortunate to plan the tour when we did and to all share his garden with him one last time. Doc was an original. I have yet to meet another person that truly loved the forest and the plants in them as much as Doc. He told me he once cried when returning to Madagascar to check in on some palm trees from a prior trip, only to find they had burned down the forest for as far as the eye could see. The man lived a blessed life and a book could easily be written on his journey through it. I knew Mardy no where near as long as Phil and the many other long-time palm people, so I never had the chance to experience the side of Doc so many had issue with. To me I knew a man that wore his heart on his sleeve, told it like it was, and if you took issue - tough. Maybe its the old Marine in me, but I gravitate to those people.

In the end it was his heart that finally gave out, and not his mind. I have a voicemail on my phone that I will never delete. It was a message from Doc in July asking me to find him the "biggest" Johannesteijsmannia altifrons and Pigafetta filaris I could find him. He wanted to plant them outside before winter...

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I can't even imagine where to start with any comments about Mardy, or if started where to end. I will only say that I feel very fortunate to have known him and to have learned what I did from him. I believe I have said it before here - if asked to describe Mardy in one word, it would be inspiring.

And he "left it all on the field," gardening and focused on his passion until the end. He squeezed all he could out of his time here, and anyone who attended his last tour can attest to that.

Imagine when the palms from Madagascar in cultivation totaled less than five. And traveling half way around the world to a primitive Communist country to acquire what he thought should be palms and plants that could grow in So. California. He unlocked what we now know as a treasure trove that is still giving. I only wish I was by his side, after tromping through malaria infested jungle, and could have witnessed the look on his face when he may have been the first "outsider" to have set eyes on what later was named after him - the magnificent Marojejya darianii.

I will think of him when ever I walk past the half dozen or so that were among the first palms I planted in my garden.

post-11-0-90983400-1440802148_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

After reading comments by Matt, Len and Dean, many things come to mind.

One must understand how consumed he was by plants, especially palms. He did take dangerous trips into Madagascar multiple times. He got arrested and thrown in jail. He had his possessions confiscated. He was threatened. He risked his life on cliffs and rivers - far beyond what most of us would do. He spent days looking for just one species of palms that locals told him about. And, he usually found that palm. Maybe all this kept him young in his mind. To the end he was calling me about palms and where to find "this or that". Just 2 days before his death he called me for a phone number of an old friend, a palm person. He was always concerned that visitors enjoyed his garden. Before the last garden tour in July, he was out there pulling weeds and picking up debris. He just plainly loved palm trees, plants and his garden.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Doc was a legend and a true palm pioneer!! He will be missed by all of us in the palm community.

I'm very glad I got to meet and visit his garden in July on that tropical rainy day. I will never forget that magical day.

Thanks Doc for all that you did.

My you rest in peace.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mardy was indeed unique and definitely a legend in his own time. And as we all know, lots of unique individuals in our worldwide palm community, but Mardy certainly placed in the very top when it comes to uniqueness! I have known Mardy since the early 1990s when I was the editor of the (PSSC) Palm Journal, and I was in frequent contact with him, mostly via phone but also personal visits to his incredible palm garden. He would easily agree to write aticles for the Palm Journal, but actually getting around to it was usually another story. I would call to remind him and he would say "OK, OK, no problem, but call me again on Tuesday to remind me!". I would call Tuesday and he'd say "OK, OK, but call me on Thursday to remind me!". I would call again on Thursday and he would ask me to call again a couple of days later. Classic Mardy! :mrlooney: Most of the time he WOULD get around to it and true to form his articles were indeed a reflection of his uniqueness. There's one very entertaining article by him in issue #117 of the Palm Journal (July 1994): "Hunting for Ravenea in Madagascar". I would post it here but my scanner is on the blink at the moment...

He would also often call me up and ask me to drop whatever I was doing to come visit him and take some photos. It was about a half hour drive from my home in Poway, so normally I would decline. A typical call would be like this "Bo, my Actinokentia just opened up a new red frond. It's spectacular. You have to come by NOW and take some photos for the Palm Journal!" and I would suggest he should take the photos himself because I just happened to be too busy to take a couple of hours out of my workday.

When I had made the decision to move to the Big Island in 1995 he called me up and asked me if it was indeed true, and I confirmed and said that, yes, definitely moving to the Big Island. And I'll never forget his response: "But WHY? There's no CHALLENGE in growing palms in Hawaii!" with a LOT of emphasis on the word "challenge". To Mardy, the challenge of growing something unique or hard to grow was a major part of his fascination for palms. My answer to him, by the way, "Mardy, I am not looking for a challenge! I simply want to plant the palms, step back and watch them grow". I could almost hear how he shook his head in total consternation at this bizarre approach to growing palms. :laugh2:

After moving to Hawaii Mardy would call me sporadically and we would have long conversations, but it's been a while since I heard from him. I will miss those calls and it's sad to realize that a true palm legend has left us. But his enthusiasm, knowledge and willingness to literally travel to the end of the earth will always be remembered.

Mardy, it was a true privilege to know you. May you rest in peace. :)

Bo-Göran

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I only spoke with him a couple of times yet this saddens me more than I would have expected.......RIP Dr. Darian.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Thanks to phil and all who were involved in giving Mardy one more chance in showing off his masterpiece one last time .It was a true honor to meet mardy and our palm community and gardens are a better place because of his amazing passion. RIP Mardy his family is in our prayers

Adam,

I did schedule our July meeting for a reason. I've known Mardi for many decades. In the past 2 years I saw some substantial declines in his health. It wasn't his forgetfulness I'm talking about. He did have some. Rather, it was his overall slowing and weakness that troubled me. He just looked to be like someone approaching the end.

And, you must remember, about five years ago and as a very senior citizen, he was using a jackhammer to dig holes for new palms.

So, in the spring I told myself "we better visit there. It might be our last opportunity". And, with their property up for sale, I knew we had to do it.

Thus we had our July PSSC meeting at his garden. I had no idea that he'd pass on so quickly the next month.

When I talked to Cherie about his final days, she told me he mentioned that he was so grateful to see his palm friends one more time at that meeting. He really enjoyed the Society visiting him and appreciated everyone coming.

Now, in retrospect, I know that the meeting was the right thing to do.

Phil

• Upvote 2

Oh, no, not another legend.

Thank you Phil for setting up one last visit.

Mardy didn't do anything halfway, no two ways about that.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I never had the privilege of meeting Dr. Darian, but through Palmtalk and back issues of the PSSC journal I know he will never be forgotten.

I too feel special growing so many Madagascar palms that he introduced, plus his namesake Marojejya darianii.

I hope his property will go to someone who appreciates its uniqueness, but regardless his legacy is in gardens everywhere.

Cindy Adair

There was a time when Doc wouldn't allow visitors without an entry fee, or so it was said. Having heard so much about his garden and his relentless pursuit of special palms, particularly in Madagascar, I was tremendously curious to see this storied garden. After traveling in Madagascar with Bruno Leroy, who also guided "the Doc", as he called him, Bruno and Gary Levine interceded and assured Mardy that I should visit his garden. Doc agreed to a tour and I remember being stunned by the collection and his methods of landscaping. His wife Cherie was very gracious too, and told me about chocolate truffles she would be making for the holidays.

Mardy was famously opinionated and outspoken, and not everyone appreciated that. Behind the bluster you could sense this really intense fascination with finding the best ways to grow palms; it was his obsession and it made him something of an iconoclast. I enjoyed all his tales of travels and exploits in Hawaii and Madagascar, and suggested he write them down; oral history is so easily lost, but the printed word lives on. I don't know if he ever did it or not, but once he pulled out a photo that was to be the cover of his book, a long-lost valley filled with palms with striking white crownshafts that he discovered, but was never able to find again, lost to deforestation.

Regardless of whether he did any writing or not, Mardy Darian has passed into legend among the palm aficionados of this world, and his imprint will not soon be forgotten. As Cindy said so well above, "his legacy is in gardens everywhere."

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sorry to hear about Mardy - I have read all about his travels /adventures and growing experiences. I never got a chance to visit his place but felt like i have from all the pictures.

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

A very big loss to the palm world. I never met him but shared a passion. My deepest sympathy to Cherie.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Adam,

I did schedule our July meeting for a reason. I've known Mardi for many decades. In the past 2 years I saw some substantial declines in his health. It wasn't his forgetfulness I'm talking about. He did have some. Rather, it was his overall slowing and weakness that troubled me. He just looked to be like someone approaching the end.

And, you must remember, about five years ago and as a very senior citizen, he was using a jackhammer to dig holes for new palms.

So, in the spring I told myself "we better visit there. It might be our last opportunity". And, with their property up for sale, I knew we had to do it.

Thus we had our July PSSC meeting at his garden. I had no idea that he'd pass on so quickly the next month.

When I talked to Cherie about his final days, she told me he mentioned that he was so grateful to see his palm friends one more time at that meeting. He really enjoyed the Society visiting him and appreciated everyone coming.

Now, in retrospect, I know that the meeting was the right thing to do.

Phil

Phil, Thanks again for setting up the July meeting at Doc's house. I'm very glad you did so and what a wonderful time it was.

Sunset zone 24

A big lost to our palm community. I had the pleasure to meet Mardy, one on one at his garden back in the early 90's where he was very generous with his time as we spent more than a couple of hours walking and chatting about his collection. And this was at the height of the time when he was charging people an admission fee to get in. There's no doubt he was very passionate about his palms, especially species from Madagascar. I'm glad to be able to say I met him several times, made two visits to his garden and got to talk to him.

I sincerely hope that Cherie can keep the garden intact as long as possible and once the time comes that she has to sell the property, it's sold to someone that will maintain it in it's current beauty that it is.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It is hard to express in words the loss to the palm world as a result of the recent passing of Dr. Mardi Darian. I met and have had the pleasure to know "Doc" for over twenty years. We spent countless hours together walking his beautiful property with me listening intently to every story and pearl of wisdom I could glean from this fascinating man. I loved his stories of faraway travel and adventure and he was clearly the empatus for my interest in the Red Island and one of the reasons I traveled there. He was a mentor to many of us and although a little late to the group I am proud to be one of Mardi's Dypsis deciples. I was fascinated by Mardi and his quest to push the limits on the journey to creating the ultimate rainforest garden. Mardi loved a challenge and we would always laugh and joke about his burning desire to grow Chrtostachys renda outside in Vista. He must have tried and killed this species over a thousand times through the years but was convinced he could find a highland phenotype that would ultimately prevail. Through the years I learned a lot from Doc and will forever be in his debt for the knowledge, plants and friendship we shared. I will sorely miss the calls at all hours summoning me to come over at once to see this or that that Mardi had observed while out in his garden. I pray that Mardi is with God and that Heaven has just welcomed a very passionate grower of all things beautiful.

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Very sad news so soon after the last garden tour. I was fortunate to briefly meet Dr. Darian at the last PSSC meeting. I shook his hand and thanked him of the opportunity to visit his absolutely stunning garden.

When I mentioned to him that I'm just starting to build my garden, he smiled and said "Now you know what the end result should look like..." I'll never forget that.

My condolences to his family, and I hope that his creation will live on.

Very sad news indeed, I just drove by there this weekend with a friend and we were discussing palms and of course his garden come up. I never met Dr. Darian, and as mentioned by others I have learned much about him via Palm Talk. A true pioneer and his discoveries and accomplishments will continue to benefit and influence the palm growing community for decades. My condolences to his family

Carl

Vista, CA

How very fortunate was I to meet and chat with Mardy last year just prior to the Miami biennial. Len arranged the meet, thanks Len. It was one of those etched in memory forever events for us. And now this year, very soon I will be going to Madagascar myself. He was a very pleasant man to me and told me , just myself, some cool tales.

Nice knowing you Mardy.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Cheers Mardi. I never met you, but it sounds like you had a fun life.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow. I read this news last week while I was still reeling from Jim Wright being gone.. The two leaving us just left me speechless. I am very glad Phil that you were able to get so many to Mardy and Cheries place recently! I was elated at the rain being there to allow all to enjoy the garden at its "rainforrest best". I was one of the ones that did pay a fee to enter the first time, and while I grumbled a bit about it at the time, once I saw the sheer scope of what was there, I appreciated what it took for the upkeep. Subsequently I went multiple times thanks to my first foray I'm sure. Glad I had the opportunity to guide some others to its treasures a couple times too.

As Cindy alluded to, his legacy will indirectly be in peoples gardens all over the world, his direct legacy is already in my garden with palms that he either grew from seed or brought back as seedlings to be spread and shared throughout southern California.

Still shocked as so many times when Len or Gary and I talked we always mentioned what a tough old guy the "Doc" was... I just figured he would just keep going on... RIP Mardy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Finally got a recent photo of my Marojejya darianii to add to this thread. He is clearly not forgotten even by those who never met him.

I have enjoyed reading tributes from all over the world.

post-4111-0-11727100-1441314868_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

glad I got to talk to him a few times and visit his place away from the crowds before the PSSC meetings

he gave me some good tips on growing palms.

he emphasized planning ahead

he talked to me quit a bit about growing them from a perspective of decades.

he got to live out his dream and was a pioneer

There have been questions on a service. I just talked to Cherie and she is still devastated and wants to just take things slow. The tentative date for a service will be Oct 24 at the garden. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the update Len. Keep us posted on any new news

Sunset zone 24

There have been questions on a service. I just talked to Cherie and she is still devastated and wants to just take things slow. The tentative date for a service will be Oct 24 at the garden. 

Len,

I would take the time to be at the service if it is by invitation only. Please keep me posted.

Many thanks,

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Hi John,

I think it will be open. Un/fortunately I will be in Madagascar all October so hopefully Phil or someone else updates this post. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hi John,

I think it will be open. Un/fortunately I will be in Madagascar all October so hopefully Phil or someone else updates this post. 

Likely the most valid excuse to miss it.... "I was in Madagascar.."

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi John,

Likely the most valid excuse to miss it.... "I was in Madagascar.."

Doc would have wanted that way :) He loved that place..

Sunset zone 24

Jim's ceremony is this morning, Saturday, at San Diego Botanical Garden in Encinitas.  It starts at 9AM. 

For those that knew and loved Jim, we hope to see you.

Phil 

Group,

I talked to Cheri this past Friday.  She told me that, if all goes according to plan, sometime in October there will be a memorial service at the residence/garden of Mardi and Cheri Darian.  I had heard mention that there may be an auction of plants from the garden following the memorial.  She told me this would NOT happen.  Their goal is to keep the garden intact.  She most likely will be selling the property.  The goal is to find a buyer who will not develop the land or remove the mature palms.  The memorial service will be open to anyone who wishes to attend.  Mardi's son in law is at the residence to assist Cheri.  If and when I get more specifics, I'll post the date and information here.

Phil

On October 24th at 11 AM - 3 PM, Cherie will hold a memorial service for Mardy at the Darian residence. Everyone is invited and the garden will be open to share one last time stories and admire his hard work. 

Further details here:

Edited by LJG

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the update Len. I'll be there

Sunset zone 24

• 4 weeks later...

Group, 

As you know, Mardi's Memorial Service is today until 3PM.  I hope some of you could attends.  Acquaintances, friends and family are or will be there.

I took a few photos to share.  We'll all miss Mardi.  His garden was one of the most creative I've ever seen.

Phil

DSCN1397 (Large).JPG

DSCN1396 (Large).JPG

DSCN1361 (Large).JPG