Sign in to follow this  
Ed in Houston

Another Possible Florida Hurricane

Ed in Houston

Another tropical storm called Erica has formed and is headed toward Florida and threatening to become a hurricane.

at201505_ensmodel.gif

at201505_model_intensity.gif

Ed in Houston

displaced_floridian

Another tropical storm called Erica has formed and is headed toward Florida and threatening to become a hurricane.

at201505_ensmodel.gif

at201505_model_intensity.gif

Ed in Houston

If it can survive the next couple of days, it may enter a more favorable

environment for intensification. If the trough in the SEUS lifts out and strong high

pressure builds off the east coast, it may go into the Gulf

Palmaceae

We are going to stock up on water and batteries just in case, too far out to know if Erika will stay together and get close to Florida.

IHB1979

This one looks interesting.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-26%20at%201.26.4

PalmatierMeg

Fill gas tanks & gas cans before everyone else catches on & lines up for blocks. Remember Port Everglades and Port of Tampa shut down in advance of the storm so tanker trucks stop rolling. Hard to prep or evac when all service stations run out of fuel. Surprising how many people wander around clueless until the last minute. News broadcasts may be depressing but in summer don't forget to check the weather daily.

Palmaceae

The latest report now has Erika over SW Florida Monday as a tropical storm. That is assuming that it will actually survive the next 24 hours. I pray that no one gets hurt in this storm.

Alicehunter2000

Now we are in center of cone ..... don't need the wind

Alicehunter2000

Anybody notice that huge flair up of thunderstorms just below sw Cuba this am. You all getting some rain down south....any wind?

mike-coral gables

2" of rain so far here in coral gables, lots of thunder and some lighting during the night. thunder rumbles now. strange eerie orange sky around 7am. thankfully no wind

Jeff Searle

We woke up this morning to over 5" of rain in the gauge, a constant thunder and lightning display from at least 3am to 7am. Didn't sleep much. But no wind associated with this. And their forcasting another 2-5" for today.

• Upvote 1

waykoolplantz

We woke up this morning to over 5" of rain in the gauge, a constant thunder and lightning display from at least 3am to 7am. Didn't sleep much. But no wind associated with this. And their forcasting another 2-5" for today.

Got about the same as you Jeff...thunder n lightning all nite long. Not too much rain so far today

PalmatierMeg

Still waiting for my flooding rain.

palmislandRandy

About 3" of rain so far & no real wind. My 4 legged thunder alarm worked flawlessly last night.

PalmatierMeg

Flooding rain here.

Oh, everyone say hello to TS Fred

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Walt
      By Walt
      I put together some video and photos I took shortly after Hurricane Irma came roaring by west of me. I finally got around to editing them all together and making a YouTube video showing the damage caused by Irma to my palms, trees, shrubs, etc. Fortunately, virtually no damage was done to my house, other than some aluminum soffit panels came loose.
      My biggest palm loss were my two Syagrus botryophora. I had both tied with ropes (anchored) in hopes that the palms wouldn't be blown over at the roots (like I've seen in photos). But the ropes didn't help as both palm's trunks were snapped in two higher up on the trunks. As you can imagine, I wasn't a happy camper when I traversed  my entire property inspecting the damage. The clean up job was monumental. It took me 4-5 months of working 3-5 hours a day cleaning all the debris up.
      Then to add insult to injury, several months after Irma, I noticed many of my slash pines starting to die. The pines, I assume from the stress Irma caused to them (breaking off many limbs) got infected with pine bark beetles. I had my palm trimmer come in with his crew and bucket truck and take down about six big slash pines, while I cut down small ones. But since then about 10 more slash pines have died, and my tree trimmer is coming back next week to take seven of them down. The other three are inaccessible in a wooded area, so they will have to rot and fall in place.
      This spring I purchased eight new species of palms. Some I planted, others are still in pots. My garden, overall, is not coming back strong. I plan to do an update video (for 2018) this October, but using a drone camera to get some aerial views of my property. Other than that, I'm well over the property damage Irma caused. That's life, that's tough!
       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrNfFrEWhdE&feature=youtu.be

• Rd003
      By Rd003
      As you all know, this September Hurricane Irma payed us a visit in South Florida. In my case this is the first hurricane that I have experienced in twelve years (Wilma Oct 24 2005). Here is some footage taken 
      Warning: Palms were hurt in this video, viewer discretion is advised (jk but still) 
      on September 10 documenting Irma’s passage across Southern Florida
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1laBcnVLk-g
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Right now it looks like hurricane Irma will slam Florida, if I were there I would start preparing or even thinking about evacuation plans. Stay safe everyone. 
    • IHB1979
      By IHB1979
      I can imagine the Texas folks on the forum are starting preparations for the storm. The intensity isn't really dialed in yet, but you sure look to get a lot of rain...measured in feet!
      Stay safe!
    • TikiRick
      By TikiRick
      Cyclone Debbie is currently off the coast of Queensland, forecasted to impact the coastal areas with up to 110 mph winds.
      To all of our Aussie palm folks in Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Airlie Beach, we are hoping and praying for the best for all of you and your gardens. 
      I know how you feel! I've lived through 22 cyclones since I was a little boy in South Florida. 
      Thinking of you!