IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So few new posts

Duppy

So I decided to post an update to my Mules and how impressed I am with them.

Here they are right after planted June 2014.

post-10302-0-80218400-1440445879_thumb.j

And again 14 months later. Today.

post-10302-0-48682800-1440445930_thumb.j

I lost the one on the far right to spear pull and rot. Gonna replace it in the spring. These guys have gotten so full that I'm using them to shade my smaller potted palms from the 100 degree baking sun. Hence the pots underneath them. Wish I had thought of it sooner before they already took some damage.

yeah those are looking good.....gonna be huge one day

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Wowsers! I love before and after photos like these. The growth rate on these things will only exponentially increase over the years! Pretty exciting.

I'm jealous. I can't wait to see them when they're larger! Do you have close ups of those beauties?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

Beautiful... I have never tried any mule palms in my climate.. I'm too scared to !

Those really compliment your yard and house nicely.. good placement too.

Just awesome!

I'm holding off on updates until end of season pretty much- Palms are in growth mode..

I must stare at them... at least 10 times a day.

You might think me crazy.. but I swear my filiferas make noise!

• Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

ArchAngel, here are closeups of the two I consider to be the most interesting.

First, the one on the right, the base of this one is HUGE compared to the others. Beer can for reference. It's got the others beat by about 3 inches.

post-10302-0-68818200-1440597523_thumb.j

Next is the one on the far left. Tall and lanky, I'd say this has more Butia traits than the others. Fronds are stiff and grow more straight up.

post-10302-0-99817500-1440597674_thumb.j

If you want different angles I'll be glad to oblige.

SailorBold, thanks. The patio faces SSW, so bakes in the summer sun all day. I planted the mules kind of close together in hopes that I'll get a nice thick canopy some day to drink under.

Edited by Duppy

Those are awesome Duppy. Thanks for the close ups. What is the coldest temps they've seen?

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

We had a mild winter last year. If I remember correctly, we only went below freezing twice. Both times were 28F. They didn't blink.

Palm Crazy, I can't believe how well they take the blistering sun.

Edited by Duppy

• 2 weeks later...

Nice growth on those. I find mine are really doing well in the inland heat here. That's going to be a super tropical looking patio once they get some trunk on them and that will be a nice canopy spread. Surprised you lost the one on the right. Any idea why? Look forward to updates over time.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14