IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thinking about flowering trees

Pip

I did order a Melicope elleryana through an online retailer along with a Delonix, Castanospermum and a Normanbya. They arrived yesterday except for the Melicope it was out if stock. All the new trees are under 30cm tall so it will be a while before they get planted out.

Okay, so it gets frozen back each year.

My bogies in San Berdoo across from the AirBase of Doom died each winter for me.

Here, in La La Ha Ha, they take over.

really? I thought San Barniedino​ was warmer than that.. They have the hardiness rating at 30f as you know.. but even then one would think they would still regrow from thicker stems.

Isn't that Tree Boug beautiful? Apparently that one is hardy to 20f !

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Here you are SailorBold this is my Bougainvillea arborea growing up one of my rainwater tanks and Bambusa oldhamii blocking my creepey neighbours windows.

It is supposed to be fragrant but it is nothing like the nearby Plumeria. It is nice that it is thornless. As you can see the last flush of flowers have finished the bracts having changed to a brown papery colour. I'll need to prune a few branches back to encourage more flowers once the warm weather returns. Winters here are usually punctuated with bursts of warmth and sun but those have been non existant this winter.post-10546-0-39498700-1440722730_thumb.j

Oops I bought a 1.5m Jacaranda today after looking around at the Magnolias. I could only find 'Little Gem' or a columnar form of Magnolia grandiflora while all the beautiful deep purple/red deciduous varieties only grow to 4m tall.

You might also want to look into Crepe Myrtles. They come in all different color varieties of flower & love humidity.

Thanks for that suggestion Laaz. Crepe Myrtles are lovely with the added bonus of attractive bark. I was going to create a mini forest of them but things have changed since the swimming pool was installed. The excavator moved a whole heap of my trees I had planted, only one of the Crape Myrtles suvived. Humidity here isn't very high normally so Crape Myrtles don't suffer from mildew problems as they can on the east coast of Australia. They are a very common tree in my region so have the unfortunate common name of 'Crap Myrtle'.

Okay, so it gets frozen back each year.

My bogies in San Berdoo across from the AirBase of Doom died each winter for me.

Here, in La La Ha Ha, they take over.

really? I thought San Barniedino​ was warmer than that.. They have the hardiness rating at 30f as you know.. but even then one would think they would still regrow from thicker stems.

Isn't that Tree Boug beautiful? Apparently that one is hardy to 20f !

Well, yeah, getting to those thicker stems (past my even thicker skull) was tough back when we had serial winters so cold the pipes in my house froze. I didn't bury the stems as you appear to have done.

(Doggy and cats all heaped into bed on top of me. Thought I was gonna die buried under fur.)

There were some Bogies in San Berdoo, including this bikeroid whose fiery ole lady let me take pictures of it over his objections. (Oops, way off track.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And that tree bogie is so beautiful I wanted to, had to, and did scream.

Yowza, whoo-ee!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here you are SailorBold this is my Bougainvillea arborea growing up one of my rainwater tanks and Bambusa oldhamii blocking my creepey neighbours windows.

It is supposed to be fragrant but it is nothing like the nearby Plumeria. It is nice that it is thornless. As you can see the last flush of flowers have finished the bracts having changed to a brown papery colour. I'll need to prune a few branches back to encourage more flowers once the warm weather returns. Winters here are usually punctuated with bursts of warmth and sun but those have been non existant this winter.attachicon.gif20150828_094731.jpg

Haa haa... HE already has one ! Nice choice Pip....

And that tree bogie is so beautiful I wanted to, had to, and did scream.

Yowza, whoo-ee!

Giggles...

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

• 6 months later...

Still on my quest to create pockets of shade in my sunny garden by using flowering trees. By chance today I happened to visit the plant section of one of those big box stores and found 60cm tall Delonix regia and Bauhinia x blakeana. I couldn't resist mostly because they where so reasonably priced. I love to plant in late summer/early autumn too. I only managed to plant the Delonix today.

FB_IMG_1458037959780.thumb.jpg.79ad1afea

FB_IMG_1458037966683.thumb.jpg.49ea7922c

Complete with Borzoi protection.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

First off let me state I am well aware that Spathodea campanulata is very commonly grown in SoCal and Florida. And I know this species is considered invasive where it is non-native (e.g., some tropical and subtropical areas, incl. Puerto Rico, Hawai'i and parts of Australia). However, I live in interior NorCal where it's unlikely to ever become a pest species.

Having said that, I am happy to report that my potted tree is blooming for the first time this year and I present the evidence below. Some insects have already discovered the first flower (and probably enjoyed its nectar offerings); I'm waiting to see how the local hummingbirds handle it.

I keep this plant outdoors all year in its pot and bring it under the roof overhang in winter. It almost completely defoliates in cold weather but grows like a weed when it's warm. I also have a younger yellow flower form of this species that's not bloomed yet. If anyone else is growing the African Tulip Tree in NorCal or elsewhere far from its normal zone, I'd love to learn about it and see some pictures. This is another species I can now cross off my "life list" of plants I want to bring into bloom where I live. :D

Spathodea-1.png

Spathodea-2.png

• Upvote 3

Yes, the African Tulip tree is considered 'invasive' in the tropical North. Once a very commonly planted tree in Darwin, although in recent times it has fallen out of favor. Still found in the older suburbs of Darwin. They attract every wood borer, termite and insect pest known in nature but still survive to put on those beautiful displays of red/orange flowers. They also sometimes drop large branches which can be a bit inconvenient. The nectar and pollen from the flowers are fatal to some Australian native bees.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hillizard said:

First off let me state I am well aware that Spathodea campanulata is very commonly grown in SoCal and Florida. And I know this species is considered invasive where it is non-native (e.g., some tropical and subtropical areas, incl. Puerto Rico, Hawai'i and parts of Australia). However, I live in interior NorCal where it's unlikely to ever become a pest species.

Having said that, I am happy to report that my potted tree is blooming for the first time this year and I present the evidence below. Some insects have already discovered the first flower (and probably enjoyed its nectar offerings); I'm waiting to see how the local hummingbirds handle it.

I keep this plant outdoors all year in its pot and bring it under the roof overhang in winter. It almost completely defoliates in cold weather but grows like a weed when it's warm. I also have a younger yellow flower form of this species that's not bloomed yet. If anyone else is growing the African Tulip Tree in NorCal or elsewhere far from its normal zone, I'd love to learn about it and see some pictures. This is another species I can now cross off my "life list" of plants I want to bring into bloom where I live. :D

Spathodea-1.png

Spathodea-2.png

VERY COOL! Good to know also that it lives outdoors year round. I have a small one that just went into the ground this spring. No flowers, of course, just leaves. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

VERY COOL! Good to know also that it lives outdoors year round. I have a small one that just went into the ground this spring. No flowers, of course, just leaves. 

Full disclosure: I got this plant as an older (i.e., woody) rooted cutting from a San Diego mail order nursery, so it's bloomed much earlier than if I'd grown it from seed. Non-woody stems will need winter protection for a few years in NorCal. ;)

BTW: That's a Solandra maxima 'Variegata'  in a pot on the left in the picture. I have high hopes for getting that to bloom this year or next.

9 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

Full disclosure: I got this plant as an older (i.e., woody) rooted cutting from a San Diego mail order nursery, so it's bloomed much earlier than if I'd grown it from seed. Non-woody stems will need winter protection for a few years in NorCal. ;)

BTW: That's a Solandra maxima 'Variegata'  in a pot on the left in the picture. I have high hopes for getting that to bloom this year or next.

Mine is a woody cutting also, just much younger than yours. Solandra grows well here except they dislike going dry. I lost a big one last year and have a second one to plant sometime next year. 

• Upvote 1

Try a southern magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) if you want shade & huge flowers. They do take up some real-estate...

mag.jpg

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Yes, the African Tulip tree is considered 'invasive' in the tropical North. Once a very commonly planted tree in Darwin, although in recent times it has fallen out of favor. Still found in the older suburbs of Darwin. They attract every wood borer, termite and insect pest known in nature but still survive to put on those beautiful displays of red/orange flowers. They also sometimes drop large branches which can be a bit inconvenient. The nectar and pollen from the flowers are fatal to some Australian native bees.

I've read that too. :bummed:  I've also seen a report that suggests physical properties inside the flower (e.g., stickiness) might also be responsible for trapping some small pollinators. Therefore, I will conduct my own "research" on each bloom to see if local insects are ending up dead inside. We have some large-bodied valley carpenter bees that seem to be up to the challenge of handling any flower I grow in my yard.

45 minutes ago, Hillizard said:

I've read that too. :bummed:  I've also seen a report that suggests physical properties inside the flower (e.g., stickiness) might also be responsible for trapping some small pollinators. Therefore, I will conduct my own "research" on each bloom to see if local insects are ending up dead inside. We have some large-bodied valley carpenter bees that seem to be up to the challenge of handling any flower I grow in my yard.

https://jerry-coleby-williams.net/2013/06/16/want-safer-streets-more-bees-and-good-food-grow-tamarind-trees-not-african-tulip-trees/

• Upvote 1

This is another lovely Cassia growing in my street Cassia Rainbow Shower ( Fistula x Javanica ). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to produce seeds

hVnSyWwh.jpg

uhJcJJXh.jpg

gUrQHt6h.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, greysrigging said:

This is another lovely Cassia growing in my street Cassia Rainbow Shower ( Fistula x Javanica ). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to produce seeds

hVnSyWwh.jpg

uhJcJJXh.jpg

gUrQHt6h.jpg

Yes, apparently it is a sterile hybrid and only reproduced by grafting. Stumbled upon a specimen of this cross in St. Pete FL back in 2015. There is also another Cassia fistula X called " Queen's Hospital White" from Hawaii that doesn't produce seed or, if it does, very few.  Have heard of a cross between C. bakeriana and fistula as well. Don't recall ever seeing pictures of it though.

• Upvote 2

Wow, I'm  glad this thread has been dug up. I'm  thinking of flowering  trees again. I have much moore space to plant now.

Not sure if Deplanchea tetraphylla will grow in South Australia (?) but it might be something to consider: http://www.northqueenslandplants.com/Australian%20Plant%20Families%20A-F/Bignoniaceae/Deplanchea/Deplanchea%20tetraphylla.html

I've got some seedlings started where I am, since I've read they can flower while young. Mine will likely stay potted for years. ;)

Deplanchea.png

Deplanchea-2.png

• Upvote 1

Are you into Metrosideros excelsa? Nice red flowers and evergreen foliage...Don't know how often they are used in Adelaide but I've seen them growing well in Perth.

Here is another magnificent Australian flowering tree that is native to the southern half of Western Australia. I have never seen one in cultivation, only in the wild. Flowers in Nov/Dec hence the common name Christmas Tree. It is a member of the mistletoe family of plants, and is partially parasitic in as much that it attaches its roots to the roots of host plants to extract nutrients. The seeds germinate easily but the new seedlings die off in a year or two in cultivation. There is considerable time and energy spent trying to crack the home cultivation code. There is some evidence that seedlings can be raised if planted with couch grass and even Crepe Myrtles as host plants.

Anyone up for a challenge ( and in the right sort of climate zone ) should consider trying this one.

http://www.australiannativenursery.com.au/2015/12/02/wa-christmas-tree/

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/blogs/wild-journey/2017/05/australias-giant-parasitic-christmas-tree/

Nuytsia floribunda  009.jpg

Nuytsia floribunda  010.jpg

WA Xmas Tree.jpg

• Upvote 1

I saw a few of those Aussy Christmas Trees at the LA Arboretum earlier this year. 

On 8/12/2018, 5:58:34, Silas_Sancona said:

Yes, apparently it is a sterile hybrid and only reproduced by grafting. Stumbled upon a specimen of this cross in St. Pete FL back in 2015. There is also another Cassia fistula X called " Queen's Hospital White" from Hawaii that doesn't produce seed or, if it does, very few.  Have heard of a cross between C. bakeriana and fistula as well. Don't recall ever seeing pictures of it though.

They're great landscaping trees. I am doing my residency at The Queen's Hospital and see these all the time. The trees overall are not very messy because the only things they drop are the flower petals. Much nicer than the ones that drop seed pods everywhere!

• Upvote 1

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 11 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 11:05 AM, Hillizard said:

Spathodea-1.png

Spathodea-2.png

Not sure if the flower on my potted Spathodea campanulata 'Lutea'  is as yellow as I expected, but I'm enjoying the bloom nevertheless, esp. since I live in interior NorCal! It's originally from Gardino Nursery in Florida.  I overwinter it in my sunroom since it seems less hardy than the orange form (which stays outdoors year-round and has recovered from the winter but shows no signs of blooming this summer).

Spathodea_lutea1.png

Spathodea_lutea2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Hillizard said:

Not sure if the flower on my potted Spathodea campanulata 'Lutea'  is as yellow as I expected, but I'm enjoying the bloom nevertheless, esp. since I live in interior NorCal! It's originally from Gardino Nursery in Florida.  I overwinter it in my sunroom since it seems less hardy than the orange form (which stays outdoors year-round and has recovered from the winter but shows no signs of blooming this summer).

Spathodea_lutea1.png

Spathodea_lutea2.png

Do you ever get seeds from your yellow tulip tree there? 

3 hours ago, raimeiken said:

Do you ever get seeds from your yellow tulip tree there? 

No, unfortunately. The tree put on a nice show, though the flowers seemed to me to be more golden orange than yellow.  I understand the best way to get a yellow-flowered plant is via cuttings, not by seed. I think the same thing holds true for cultivars of Delonix regia. BTW, right now Phil (Jungle Music) has some yellow tulip trees ( 15-gal size) for sale: http://www.junglemusic.net/New Plant Arrivals/new_plant_arrivals_Short_Version.html

• Upvote 1