IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"failed attempts" in Cali....lets talk about what happened

trioderob

so the idea of this thread is to talked about attempts to grow spectacular tropical palms in California that are either not know to make it here or are un proven

so for example - has anyone tried to grow double coconuts, lipstick palms, exotic stilt rooted palms ect.....

what happened ?

did they survive even one winter ?

did they die the first cold night ?

i start

tried growing a lemur .

it did fantastic during the summer - peaking with the hot humid month of august

come mid November it stopped growing - along with most of the other palms

was ok till the heavy rains of feb where is went into an extremely rapid decline and croaked

Edited by trioderob

I keep telling myself that I can grow Pritchardia pacifica. I can't. Not even close.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Lemur 10/14-7/15 RIP

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

it died in July - that is a bummer - should do great in July

here is one that was a "fail" but my fault:

Coccothrinax Miraguama - decided to move it in Feb - bad idea- perfectly normal and healthy beautiful palm immediately went into a startling decline and croaked.

I never move a palm from OCT- MAY anymore

Edited by trioderob

Coccothrinax Miraguama - decided to move it in Feb - bad idea- perfectly normal and healthy beautiful palm immediately went into a startling decline and croaked.

I have a stilt rooted palm that has done quite well thus far. I think I planted it in late winter, of course it's still fairly new, and about the size of a large 15 gallon.

I always heard that Cocothrinax moved pretty well. I yanked one out of a pot before it became rootbound, and threw it in a large pot and just neglected it. Not thriving, but I don't water it much - I should, it's a really nice palm, and getting a bigger. Funny thing is, it hates the sun...

Just as the Newport Beach Coconut leaves the scene, fully mature Coconuts are located in La Quinta. It seems there are so many microclimates in Southern California, there likely must be a location where virtually everything has a shot.Plant it and it will grow.

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

It's just a tough grow here. I think I have one of the better microclimates in San Diego. Granted I couldn't water every day and that hurt it...

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

The only palm besides coconuts I've tried multiple times without success is Dictosperma album. Three tries three years each. Not worth the trouble. By the way, my Lemurophoenix is growing again after two months of nearly no movement. I added acid to the soil as well as removed soil from around it's base as it had tillered itself down two inches. I'm also watering most of the time with distilled water. This will be its second full winter in the ground.

I've tried so many coconuts and failed that I've lost count. I finally got one to survive outside all winter and it's a Jamaican tall. It looks kind of crappy but it's putting out a new leaf as we speak.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It's just a tough grow here. I think I have one of the better microclimates in San Diego. Granted I couldn't water every day and that hurt it...
Strange!In my garden it is one of the easiest growers,as long as it does not get killed in winter...

areca vestiaria red form

The yellow form grows for me no problem

I seem to get about 3 years out of them then they die

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Dypsis Pilulifera 4 incher 10/14-8/15. Got a ton of water and did well initially (greenhouse momentum) before dying a slow death RIP.

Dypsis Pilulifera 4 incher 10/14-8/15. Got a ton of water and did well initially (greenhouse momentum) before dying a slow death RIP.

Hey Pete,

I have an "Orange Crush", which has been used synonymously with D. piluliferia at times. I put it in a pot a few years ago as a seedling with maybe 1' long leaves. It's slow, but chugs along. Biggest leaves are about 3', with each new leaf coming out much bigger than the last. It does way better in the shade. I've never watered it much, but I don't believe that it is drought tolerant either.

Hey Pete,

I have an "Orange Crush", which has been used synonymously with D. piluliferia at times. I put it in a pot a few years ago as a seedling with maybe 1' long leaves. It's slow, but chugs along. Biggest leaves are about 3', with each new leaf coming out much bigger than the last. It does way better in the shade. I've never watered it much, but I don't believe that it is drought tolerant either.

Mine was in shade and still croaked.

Several years ago I bought two Cyrtostachys renda on Ebay from Hawaii. I planted them in self-watering pots intending to bring them indoors when it got too cold. I forgot and they went through several freezing nights. Amazingly they were still alive in the spring (March) after no protection at all during the winter. And then they slowly declined and were completely dead by mid-summer...

I suppose if we are talking failed attempts I can mention the canaries that were transplanted along the bay bridge that were just removed. Heard the story on 740 this morning while in line at Starbucks and just thought how sad as I'm sure many of these palms were probably doing just fine before they were removed from properties in the area before being bought for this project.

http://abc7news.com/traffic/caltrans-replaces-palm-trees-on-bay-bridge-approach/927536/

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Several years ago I bought two Cyrtostachys renda on Ebay from Hawaii. I planted them in self-watering pots intending to bring them indoors when it got too cold. I forgot and they went through several freezing nights. Amazingly they were still alive in the spring (March) after no protection at all during the winter. And then they slowly declined and were completely dead by mid-summer...

What do you think killed them if it wasn't the cold?

I suppose if we are talking failed attempts I can mention the canaries that were transplanted along the bay bridge that were just removed. Heard the story on 740 this morning while in line at Starbucks and just thought how sad as I'm sure many of these palms were probably doing just fine before they were removed from properties in the area before being bought for this project.

http://abc7news.com/traffic/caltrans-replaces-palm-trees-on-bay-bridge-approach/927536/

I have been noticing a few of these are still headed downhill. I can't believe people are only getting $1,000 per tree. I guess if you want it gone anyway...

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

What do you think killed them if it wasn't the cold?

It was the cold. It's called a slow death!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Oh, heck, listing all the species I've killed futilely will probably cripple my hands from all the typing.

But, here's a partial list: Areca catecu, vestiara; Dypsis rivularis; Nephrosperma; Ceroxylon.\

Enough for now. :interesting:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Carpoxylon macrospermum, dessicated during winter. It was under a plastic tent with Christmas lights. One objective was to keep it a degree or two above the cold night temperatures, and the other was to prevent soggy soil. Too cold, too wet, or too dry, don't really know. I had such high hopes back then...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I have been noticing a few of these are still headed downhill. I can't believe people are only getting $1,000 per tree. I guess if you want it gone anyway...

The loss rate is to be expected among the transplanted Bay Bridge canaries. ABC 7 just needed to fill a news hole and palm trees in the busiest roadway in the area are a photogenic topic.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

Basselinia tomentosa, ..the others that died I will likely try again..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!