IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

In Memorium of James Wright

Mr Rare

Mod Edit: Another topic dedicated to Jim's memory is HERE

It is with deep sorrow that I say good bye to a great friend . Jim Wright passed away 8-8-15 at approx. 11:30 pm at the Thorton ICU. Jim and I shared many great times together and he was one of my biggest inspirations in my love for palms and plants of all types. His gentle kindness and thoughtfull generous nature , as well as his profound knowledge of botany and the diverse plant pallets he loved so dearly are the things I will remember the most. I share the picture below which reminds me of a trip Jim and I took to Florida many years ago were we spent several days exploring Mongomery and Fairchild gardens. I pray that Jim is with God and that Heaven just welcomed a very special man!

post-370-0-50416400-1439134478_thumb.jpg

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Amen

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This truly saddens me. Jim, and his now deceased wife Lise, were two of the nicest people I've ever known and visiting their garden was always a very special treat. I've spent some time with Jim on some recent San Diego visits and I am thankful I had that opportunity. It was clear to me that Jim was having fairly severe health issues and it pained me to see him in this condition. Despite this, he was always in a good mood, always positive, and always willing to walk around in his beautiful garden and take some time for a chat. Jim, you'll be missed!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Even in pain and sickness he made his last palm tour a few weeks ago to Mardys. He was in great spirits so this does come as somewhat a surprise. Jim was certainly a unique individual and always a pleasure to be around.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am disappointed that I was never able to meet Jim. I have heard so many great things about him over the years. Rest in Peace.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

So sad. Jim was always open to a garden tour and visit from his plant friends.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Well said Jeff!

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 4 weeks later...

To all those wishing to attend the Celebration of Life for Jim please log on to the website provided below and sign up.

We need a head count.

Thanks!

To All Concerned:

To All Concerned:

I wanted to follow up with an update on the upcoming Celebration of Life for Jim Wright.

For ease of following I will continue with the format of my 8-21-15 post and update each item in Black. Items which require no further action are marked as Complete . All items requiring additional work are marked , Continue.

We just confirmed the date of the Celebration of Life for Saturday September 26th at the San Diego Botanic Garden (“SDBG”). Complete

The celebration will commence promptly at 9 AM and run till approx. 11 AM . we will need to be out of the event venue by noon as there will be a wedding setting up after we finish. We will need several volunteers to arrive approx.. 8 am to help with setup of the event including but not limited to the following: Set up of memory tables, Plant display, drink coolers for water and soda, desserts/snacks, etc. Continue

Those that want to socialize or enjoy the garden can stay as long as they like outside the celebration venue. Confirmed, Complete

I am not an event planner nor do I intend to become one so I really need everyone’s help to make this a truly memorable celebration for Jim. The Orchid Society has really been great as have several others. Ivan Allen is the lead party at the SDCOS and he has provided the following.

The San Diego County Orchid Society (SDCOS) has found it convenient to setup a Volunteer Website to get a count of how many will attend an event, the job they will perform at the event - if any- and a quick way to communicate with these people (they log onto the website with their e-mail address).  I have setup a Volunteer Website, for Jim's  celebration at "www.volunteersignup.org/FHYCB". 

The website can be modified once jobs are defined - Ushers, bring food, serve food, setup tables, setup chairs, speak at the event, whatever.  

If you look at the website, you will see that 9 people have signed up, for a total of 12 people.  All are listed as "Attendees".  Again, this will be changed when jobs are defined.  Also, Scott Labouff has 14 additional people that replied directly to him.  I will integrate these people after jobs have been defined.

This website works for people with computers, they just log on and register.  For people who do not have computers, they just call me at 760-533-4975, and I add them to the list.

I would like to ask that all parties utilize the Volunteer Website above to confirm attendance and job duties. If you have further questions please contact Ivan or myself.

Some of the aspects for consideration are as follows:

1. We will need an Officiant for the Celebration. I will act as the Officiant. Complete

2. A Guest Booklet should be purchased so all attendees can sign in and leave their contact info and messages to the family. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

3. Name Tags should be purchased so all attendees can be identified easily. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

4. A Memorial Booklet will need to be prepared with the Celebrations itinerary as well as pictures of Jim and sayings that he liked. Jims daughter Stacy is heading up this task. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. The format may want to be updated to reflect the event activities. Continue

5. We will want several speakers who were very close to Jim and want to share some good history, positive uplifting stories, etc. The SDBG will provide the PA. We currently have six speakers as follows, Jeff Brusseau- Palm Society of Southern California (“PSSC”), International Palm Society ,(“IPS”) and friend, Horace Hobbs- IPS and friend, Peter Tobias- Orchid Conservation alliance and friend, Krista Mills – friend, Scott Labouff- San Diego County Orchid Society (“SDCOS”)and friend, Tom Biggart- SDCOS and friend. Please confirm with me the amount of time you estimate to speak so we can schedule appropriately. Continue

6. We will want a  few Memory Tables with lots of photos, personal effects, special plants ,etc. The SDBG will provide the tables. I am hopeful these tables can be set up by the SDCOS volunteers with help with the personal effects to be provided by Stacy Wright and Pattie Byrd. Continue, 

7. The Celebration should have music and we will need someone to select songs that meant allot to Jim and are appropriate to be played at different times during the Celebration. Unless we know any musicians that would like to play at different times we will need the music recorded and composed in the order we want it played. The devise and format for playback will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. This is an open item and needs to be addressed. Phil Bergman is trying to arrange some musicians ,But I believe we should have recorded music lasting approximately from 8:45 am till noon. Who can handle this and coordinate the mode of playback with SDBG? Continue

8. We would like to have a ceremonial planting of a palm and perhaps some of Jims other favorite plants. The location and plant selection will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. Phil Bergman is confirming a location as well as what plants can be planted. We will need people to donate the plants approved for planting. Continue

9. We would like a bench dedication with a plaque acknowledging Jim and Lise Wright. The type of bench ,location in the garden and plaque will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. Phil confirmed the cost for the bench with SDBG at $15,000. In light of the significant cost this is not something that we are able to pursue. Complete

10. Some have suggested having a few tables were we could make available plants of the many genus and species Jim loved and propagated. These could be made available on a donation basis with the monies raised used to offset the costs of the Celebration. I have received mixed responses privately from a few on this aspect. Unless the SDCOS wants to bring and sell/give away some of the orchids Jim gave to them I believe we should eliminate this idea from the celebration. Continue

11. Card stock could be purchased and handed out with the Memorial Booklet to allow Guests to write Farewell Messages to be given the family. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

12. One of the things I have seen done is a Butterfly Release. This might be a nice touch and clearly appropriate given Jims love of nature. I have investigated this and the cost is estimated at $ 350. I believe we can cover this cost from volunteer donations. Continue

13. Refreshments – Liquid refreshments and perhaps some sweets could be offered upon arrival and at the end of the Celebration. I am hopeful this aspect can be provided by the SDCOS as well as suggesting attendees bring a dessert/snack of their choice. Continue

14. Open Mike- A member of the SDCOS has suggested an open mike time when a volunteer will walk the mike around and allow those in attendance who want to say a few words about Jim an opportunity to do so.Continue

The list above is by no way set in stone or all inclusive. No other suggestions were offered, Complete

We are completely open to all ideas and really need several of you to step up and volunteer to help run with any of the items above.

We need some approx. head counts from each organization so we can establish a magnitude of Guests . The SDBG will we providing the chairs, tables, PA ,etc. Still need head counts, Continue

It is undetermined what the total costs will be and we will be looking for contributions from all those that would like to do so. At this point the only known costs that are not covered by the family or other individuals are the butterfly release. Continue

I wanted to follow up with an update on the upcoming Celebration of Life for Jim Wright.

For ease of following I will continue with the format of my 8-21-15 post and update each item in Black. Items which require no further action are marked as Complete . All items requiring additional work are marked , Continue.

We just confirmed the date of the Celebration of Life for Saturday September 26th at the San Diego Botanic Garden (“SDBG”). Complete

The celebration will commence promptly at 9 AM and run till approx. 11 AM . we will need to be out of the event venue by noon as there will be a wedding setting up after we finish. We will need several volunteers to arrive approx.. 8 am to help with setup of the event including but not limited to the following: Set up of memory tables, Plant display, drink coolers for water and soda, desserts/snacks, etc. Continue

Those that want to socialize or enjoy the garden can stay as long as they like outside the celebration venue. Confirmed, Complete

I am not an event planner nor do I intend to become one so I really need everyone’s help to make this a truly memorable celebration for Jim. The Orchid Society has really been great as have several others. Ivan Allen is the lead party at the SDCOS and he has provided the following.

The San Diego County Orchid Society (SDCOS) has found it convenient to setup a Volunteer Website to get a count of how many will attend an event, the job they will perform at the event - if any- and a quick way to communicate with these people (they log onto the website with their e-mail address).  I have setup a Volunteer Website, for Jim's  celebration at "www.volunteersignup.org/FHYCB". 

The website can be modified once jobs are defined - Ushers, bring food, serve food, setup tables, setup chairs, speak at the event, whatever.  

If you look at the website, you will see that 9 people have signed up, for a total of 12 people.  All are listed as "Attendees".  Again, this will be changed when jobs are defined.  Also, Scott Labouff has 14 additional people that replied directly to him.  I will integrate these people after jobs have been defined.

This website works for people with computers, they just log on and register.  For people who do not have computers, they just call me at 760-533-4975, and I add them to the list.

I would like to ask that all parties utilize the Volunteer Website above to confirm attendance and job duties. If you have further questions please contact Ivan or myself.

Some of the aspects for consideration are as follows:

1. We will need an Officiant for the Celebration. I will act as the Officiant. Complete

2. A Guest Booklet should be purchased so all attendees can sign in and leave their contact info and messages to the family. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

3. Name Tags should be purchased so all attendees can be identified easily. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

4. A Memorial Booklet will need to be prepared with the Celebrations itinerary as well as pictures of Jim and sayings that he liked. Jims daughter Stacy is heading up this task. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. The format may want to be updated to reflect the event activities. Continue

5. We will want several speakers who were very close to Jim and want to share some good history, positive uplifting stories, etc. The SDBG will provide the PA. We currently have six speakers as follows, Jeff Brusseau- Palm Society of Southern California (“PSSC”), International Palm Society ,(“IPS”) and friend, Horace Hobbs- IPS and friend, Peter Tobias- Orchid Conservation alliance and friend, Krista Mills – friend, Scott Labouff- San Diego County Orchid Society (“SDCOS”)and friend, Tom Biggart- SDCOS and friend. Please confirm with me the amount of time you estimate to speak so we can schedule appropriately. Continue

6. We will want a  few Memory Tables with lots of photos, personal effects, special plants ,etc. The SDBG will provide the tables. I am hopeful these tables can be set up by the SDCOS volunteers with help with the personal effects to be provided by Stacy Wright and Pattie Byrd. Continue, 

7. The Celebration should have music and we will need someone to select songs that meant allot to Jim and are appropriate to be played at different times during the Celebration. Unless we know any musicians that would like to play at different times we will need the music recorded and composed in the order we want it played. The devise and format for playback will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. This is an open item and needs to be addressed. Phil Bergman is trying to arrange some musicians ,But I believe we should have recorded music lasting approximately from 8:45 am till noon. Who can handle this and coordinate the mode of playback with SDBG? Continue

8. We would like to have a ceremonial planting of a palm and perhaps some of Jims other favorite plants. The location and plant selection will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. Phil Bergman is confirming a location as well as what plants can be planted. We will need people to donate the plants approved for planting. Continue

9. We would like a bench dedication with a plaque acknowledging Jim and Lise Wright. The type of bench ,location in the garden and plaque will need to be coordinated with the SDBG. Phil confirmed the cost for the bench with SDBG at $15,000. In light of the significant cost this is not something that we are able to pursue. Complete

10. Some have suggested having a few tables were we could make available plants of the many genus and species Jim loved and propagated. These could be made available on a donation basis with the monies raised used to offset the costs of the Celebration. I have received mixed responses privately from a few on this aspect. Unless the SDCOS wants to bring and sell/give away some of the orchids Jim gave to them I believe we should eliminate this idea from the celebration. Continue

11. Card stock could be purchased and handed out with the Memorial Booklet to allow Guests to write Farewell Messages to be given the family. Stacy Wright has purchased and will bring to the event. Complete

12. One of the things I have seen done is a Butterfly Release. This might be a nice touch and clearly appropriate given Jims love of nature. I have investigated this and the cost is estimated at $ 350. I believe we can cover this cost from volunteer donations. Continue

13. Refreshments – Liquid refreshments and perhaps some sweets could be offered upon arrival and at the end of the Celebration. I am hopeful this aspect can be provided by the SDCOS as well as suggesting attendees bring a dessert/snack of their choice. Continue

14. Open Mike- A member of the SDCOS has suggested an open mike time when a volunteer will walk the mike around and allow those in attendance who want to say a few words about Jim an opportunity to do so.Continue

The list above is by no way set in stone or all inclusive. No other suggestions were offered, Complete

We are completely open to all ideas and really need several of you to step up and volunteer to help run with any of the items above.

We need some approx. head counts from each organization so we can establish a magnitude of Guests . The SDBG will we providing the chairs, tables, PA ,etc. Still need head counts, Continue

It is undetermined what the total costs will be and we will be looking for contributions from all those that would like to do so. At this point the only known costs that are not covered by the family or other individuals are the butterfly release. Continue

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California