IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Josh-O in Carlsbad

sashaeffer

On 1/14/2017, 4:26:19, Josh-O said:

come on over any time. I make a mean mai tai

Huh, so men drink mai tais in Socal, do they? :D

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 12/30/2015, 10:16:17, LJG said:

This is hilarious. I am always amazed at what palm nuts will go through to satisfy their addition. 

Addiction to additions is more like it!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On January 20, 2017 at 9:34:59 AM, DoomsDave said:

Addiction to additions is more like it!

Lol...

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On January 19, 2017 at 9:26:23 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

Huh, so men drink mai tais in Socal, do they? :D

Lol...

only a certain few can :) 

Sunset zone 24

• 2 weeks later...

Josh, thanks for the deal on the monster tortor and blonde.  I got the little ones in the ground already too.  The garden is awesome, thanks for the tour.

• Upvote 2

On 1/30/2017, 9:06:02, cainester said:

Josh, thanks for the deal on the monster tortor and blonde.  I got the little ones in the ground already too.  The garden is awesome, thanks for the tour.

Thanks Mike it was great to see and catch up with you again. Thanks for your support and I know your palms have a good home. Next time we meet cold beer will be involved!!

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

The very rare and hard to find palm in 5 gallon  (He also has it in several more sizes) is the Beccariophoenix Fenestralis.  Josh-O has it. 

Josh is very professional and an exceptional seller.  Thanks Josh. Your garden is exquisite, your selection is a head-turner at every corner. Excellent prices as well!

P.S.  I already set the Fenestralis in the ground.  :D

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 3/11/2017, 6:20:09, GottmitAlex said:

The very rare and hard to find palm in 5 gallon  (He also has it in several more sizes) is the Beccariophoenix Fenestralis.  Josh-O has it. 

Josh is very professional and an exceptional seller.  Thanks Josh. Your garden is exquisite, your selection is a head-turner at every corner. Excellent prices as well!

P.S.  I already set the Fenestralis in the ground.  :D

thanks for all you amazing complements Alex,

It was fun to meet you the other day at my Carlsbad garden. Although small I try to cram the good stuff in the ground here since my climate is a solid 10B on the hill here.

Keep us posted on how the palms grows for you in TJ. Your welcome here anytime :)

cheers,

Josh

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Just a big thumbs up :greenthumb:, and a green one at that, for the opportunity to get the hard to find Lowland Form of Ficus dammaropsis.  I posted photos of it pre and post planting in the forum for tropical plants other than palms.  I went out this morning to see it opening its first new leaf in the ground, and his has a nice peachy colored tint.  I also appreciated your pointing out the 5 gallon Dypsis malcomberi hybrids, which I also selected one of.  You have a lot of great stuff in that greenhouse and some great specimens in your demonstration garden above.  It's always fun to see the changes, especially your venturing into the world of Cycads.

If someone is in the coastal zone of Southern California and has considered growing Ficus dammaropsis, they should contact you and see if you have any of those left.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 7/29/2017, 9:57:27, Tracy said:

Just a big thumbs up :greenthumb:, and a green one at that, for the opportunity to get the hard to find Lowland Form of Ficus dammaropsis.  I posted photos of it pre and post planting in the forum for tropical plants other than palms.  I went out this morning to see it opening its first new leaf in the ground, and his has a nice peachy colored tint.  I also appreciated your pointing out the 5 gallon Dypsis malcomberi hybrids, which I also selected one of.  You have a lot of great stuff in that greenhouse and some great specimens in your demonstration garden above.  It's always fun to see the changes, especially your venturing into the world of Cycads.

If someone is in the coastal zone of Southern California and has considered growing Ficus dammaropsis, they should contact you and see if you have any of those left.

Thanks again for coming by the Nursery Tracy. Its always a pleasure to hang out and talk palms with you. Your Lowland Ficus D. will do sooooo good in your Leucadia climate.

Next time I'm in your area I will stop by for a visit and check out your garden.

Sunset zone 24

• 2 months later...

Josh, I thought you told me that you had "small Cyphophoenix Elegans" in 5g.  Also, do you have any more Ravanea Hildebrantii?  I am very disappointed in a C. Elegans that I just bought and it has all brown roots, no white tips even at the end.  I think it was alive because of the two live, thick roots that were in the ground, that broke off when the plant was pulled up.  I am very disappointed in this grower.  What say you?  Cecile

Good to hear from you Cecile,

sorry to hear you had a bad experience with another grower. I hope those palms will make it? Maybe a little time and some TLC?

I'll send you a text message and pictures of the palms you are looking for. I did get your PM, thanks :greenthumb:

Cheers,

Josh

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

Good Day Josh,

I received my Brahea Moorei seeds quicky in the mail. As always you are very outstanding in your service to fellow palm buyers and collectors. I enjoy the seeds you have to offer and keep them coming. You have a joyous Merry Christmas & a great New Year!       Thanks again, ZenMan 1

On 12/5/2017, 6:44:24, ZenMan 1 said:

Good Day Josh,

I received my Brahea Moorei seeds quicky in the mail. As always you are very outstanding in your service to fellow palm buyers and collectors. I enjoy the seeds you have to offer and keep them coming. You have a joyous Merry Christmas & a great New Year!       Thanks again, ZenMan 1

thanks a bunch for the business :)

happy sprouting

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the business Matt-B-Dallas for coming by while in town.it was a tight squeeze getting all these wonderful plants in your car but I'm glad it worked out. I really appreciate all the business and the support. Have a safe trip back to DallasIMG_7100.JPG.a4513699ebe3c96af3b1e93e8b8IMG_7101.JPG.314a82bfe6854465b179d5a28c9IMG_7102.JPG.e8ddc10641fad6ab36bdc2d87cd

Sunset zone 24

Thanks again Adam (Akamu on PT)  for stopping by and picking up some of my really cool and very rare stuff. Glad to see you get it and I know it's going to a good home. 

IMG_7103.JPG.043fc589452b3ee40ac3d868fc5IMG_7104.JPG.e0ecbcfda76d6fb55ab715c69b4IMG_7105.JPG.e82cc63fe4ca0c9627612591adf

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

I give a huge ‘green thumbs up’ to Josh!  A super guy, outstanding plants and awesome collection!! It was great to meet Josh & Adam and talk palms.  I only wish I had a moving truck instead of an suv.. 

39 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

@Matt N- Dallas  What all did you get?? I think I see an Arenga in there.

Good eye :) 

Sunset zone 24

1 hour ago, Matt N- Dallas said:

I give a huge ‘green thumbs up’ to Josh!  A super guy, outstanding plants and awesome collection!! It was great to meet Josh & Adam and talk palms.  I only wish I had a moving truck instead of an suv.. 

Thanks again Matt for stopping by and cutting out time on your family trip to come visit my nursery. It was an absolute pleasure meeting you.  Again thanks for the business I appreciate it 

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Big thanks to Josh for getting me my long-desired Ficus damarropsis!  He knows I have been looking for one for a long time after putting my first plant in a bad spot/not anticipating the rate of growth!  Josh went through a lot of trouble to ship to Norcal for me, which I am super appreciative of!  A+++!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 5/20/2018, 10:09:18, Ben in Norcal said:

Big thanks to Josh for getting me my long-desired Ficus damarropsis!  He knows I have been looking for one for a long time after putting my first plant in a bad spot/not anticipating the rate of growth!  Josh went through a lot of trouble to ship to Norcal for me, which I am super appreciative of!  A+++!

Glad to see this Ficus 'Lowland" variety go to a very good home/ grower!!! I'm glad it arrived in tip top shape Ben, Thanks for the continued support A :)

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

I love it when a dammarropsis hits my doorstep!  2nd from Josh this year, and this one is MEATY!  Thanks dude!!!!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018, 12:25:45, Ben in Norcal said:

I love it when a dammarropsis hits my doorstep!  2nd from Josh this year, and this one is MEATY!  Thanks dude!!!!

my pleasure bruddah!!

Sunset zone 24

Thanks for coming by Charlie :)  you got a lot of cool stuff including all those nice Cuban and Puerto Rican.....happy planting :greenthumb:

IMG_2646.JPG.2b23d8763cb1c700f7979b01328IMG_2647.JPG.b938f11a579c698f41d8b4d7d20

Sunset zone 24

• 4 months later...

Couldn't keep the hand away from the keyboard when I saw those blue Jubeas.  Quick shipping and painless transaction.  Thank you, Josh!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I’ve purchased seeds from Josh several times. Seeds are fresh with really good germination rates. Great communication. Thanks Josh

14 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Couldn't keep the hand away from the keyboard when I saw those blue Jubeas.  Quick shipping and painless transaction.  Thank you, Josh!

Thanks for the business Kinzy. Always a pleasure :)

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

12 hours ago, MOlivera said:

I’ve purchased seeds from Josh several times. Seeds are fresh with really good germination rates. Great communication. Thanks Josh

Thanks again for buying my seeds Michael.  You got some cool stuff :)

Sunset zone 24

Thanks again for Ben driving hundreds of miles to come visit my nursery. Also thanks for the beers :-) happy growing to you my friend :)

D8F488FF-91EA-4EE6-9598-972A8BE7ECD4.thumb.jpeg.397b5e7c020e5075e530984b5b74d56a.jpeg2E11CE56-2BD0-47BC-9E72-BDFA485BF650.thumb.jpeg.4f0c4e940e3468dd4104a6d722040c56.jpegB68DFDB8-5AE5-4E87-973C-328B5CCF5D2E.thumb.jpeg.2c45b92ea8508f15da8e5e49a9ba9888.jpeg7D1B5319-0130-4D96-9B69-34BD45229A4A.thumb.jpeg.592f08efb93359e71fa50d2b28ada998.jpegEA1CC93E-CC9C-40F1-A74F-3D3EE4125080.thumb.jpeg.10c6dba767cca822b8317527f8d1dcce.jpeg

• Like 2

Sunset zone 24

I'm telling you dude, that new hot rod of mine is perfect for acquiring palmy goodness...with the added benefit of a sub 3s 0-60 time! :D

I could really have done without the I-5 being closed due to snow however!  Come on, man, I have AWD - LET ME THROUGH! 

Always good to visit the nursery and see you man...thanks for the unique stuff and good to catch up over beers!

Ben Rogers

27 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

I'm telling you dude, that new hot rod of mine is perfect for acquiring palmy goodness...with the added benefit of a sub 3s 0-60 time! :D

I could really have done without the I-5 being closed due to snow however!  Come on, man, I have AWD - LET ME THROUGH! 

Always good to visit the nursery and see you man...thanks for the unique stuff and good to catch up over beers!

always a great time Ben!! Thanks again bruddah!!

• Like 1

Sunset zone 24

22 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Ditto, thanks so much for the seeds! Everything went off without a hitch! Thank you, Josh.

4 hours ago, RJ said:

Ditto, thanks so much for the seeds! Everything went off without a hitch! Thank you, Josh.

awesome!! Thanks for business  :) Happy sprouting !

Sunset zone 24

My first time purchase from Josh arrived in the mail today - three bags of seeds.  Packed well, shopped quick, and great communication beforehand.  Looking forward to germinating these now! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, fishmanejr said:

My first time purchase from Josh arrived in the mail today - three bags of seeds.  Packed well, shopped quick, and great communication beforehand.  Looking forward to germinating these now! 

thanks for the kind words. Happy sprouting :)

Sunset zone 24

Bought some D. saint lucei seedlings from Josh. The seedlings were healthy and they arrived in great shape. He even included an extra. Thanks Josh!

8 hours ago, MOlivera said:

Bought some D. saint lucei seedlings from Josh. The seedlings were healthy and they arrived in great shape. He even included an extra. Thanks Josh!

my pleasure. Thanks for the business :)

Sunset zone 24

Bought some Arenga Engleri seeds from Josh and received them promptly. Communication was great as well.  10/10 would buy from him again.

-Ed

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 4:29 PM, dub671 said:

Bought some Arenga Engleri seeds from Josh and received them promptly. Communication was great as well.  10/10 would buy from him again.

-Ed

Thanks again for the business Ed :)

Sunset zone 24