IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variation in leaf size in California-grown Roystonea regia

DoomsDave

You might recall the thread about my biggest dumping a big leaf.

My second biggest just dumped another, and I was able to compare them.

The crownshafts are about the same length, about 6.5-7 feet.

post-208-0-64897200-1438223982_thumb.jpg

But the petiole and rachis varied widely. Butch, the bigger, has a petiole/rachis length that's about 5 feet longer than Spanky, the second biggest.

post-208-0-77469900-1438224060_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-00989500-1438224127_thumb.jpg

And, I admonish, beg, plead, etc., to be careful when siting your royals. That cute little baby turns big in a hurry.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

One is enormous, the other is merely huge.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Here's another, fell today, missed my nursery death camp.

Be vewwy cawful, said Elmer Fudd

050.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
On 10/4/2015, 10:30:09, Danilopez89 said:

If it landed on the nursery camp, would it had killed all those palms? :bummed:

No, just bang them up badly. I've had others get hit that later recovered. Once the weather warms all things are possible . . .

The unfortunate downside of owning royals. You have to allocate good sized perimeter around each trunk. Now I have a metal roof I don't worry so much about direct hits from my largest. Hurricane Irma scored several bullseyes but no damage. Still made a horrendous racket.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I had a frond come down from my 35 foot tall Roystonea a few weeks ago.  It hit the edge of my hipped roof and then clipped a window on its way down.  My wife and I looked at each other and said "What the heck was that?".  I went outside and immediately saw what made all that noise.  I dragged it to the curb so I could cut it up for the lawn service to haul away.  It was at least 15 feet long.  :-(

Yes, the one hazard to having a Roystonea in the yard...

Winter Springs (Orlando area), Florida

Zone 9b/10a

6 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

The unfortunate downside of owning royals. You have to allocate good sized perimeter around each trunk. Now I have a metal roof I don't worry so much about direct hits from my largest. Hurricane Irma scored several bullseyes but no damage. Still made a horrendous racket.

One great thing about Royals is their size, mass and flexibility. They're a big, green-crownshafted middle finger to a hurricane.

"Yeah, yeah, blow my leaves off, I'm so scared. Hurricane, you'll be gone, but I'll be here. And for your successors."

2 minutes ago, ck_in_fla said:

I had a frond come down from my 35 foot tall Roystonea a few weeks ago.  It hit the edge of my hipped roof and then clipped a window on its way down.  My wife and I looked at each other and said "What the heck was that?".  I went outside and immediately saw what made all that noise.  I dragged it to the curb so I could cut it up for the lawn service to haul away.  It was at least 15 feet long.  :-(

Yes, the one hazard to having a Roystonea in the yard...

15 feet?

Is that all?

More like 30 maybe?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

15 feet?

Is that all?

More like 30 maybe?

Now that I think about it, you are right.  It had to be more than 15 feet long.  All I know is that it was huge...

Zone 9b/10a

8 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

One great thing about Royals is their size, mass and flexibility. They're a big, green-crownshafted middle finger to a hurricane.

"Yeah, yeah, blow my leaves off, I'm so scared. Hurricane, you'll be gone, but I'll be here. And for your successors."

Mine has been through three hurricanes including Hurricane Charley which hit my area with 110 mph winds.  I had hurricane force winds for more than 6 hours here.  Other trees were damaged severely.  But, the Roystonea no damage whatsoever.  It is definitely designed to laugh at hurricanes.  :-)

Zone 9b/10a

3 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

Mine has been through three hurricanes including Hurricane Charley which hit my area with 110 mph winds.  I had hurricane force winds for more than 6 hours here.  Other trees were damaged severely.  But, the Roystonea no damage whatsoever.  It is definitely designed to laugh at hurricanes.  :-)

Survival of the fittest.

Roystonea loose all their leaves during a really had Hurricane. That is one reason they survive. Sabals  are the palms that look like nothing happened after any hurricane.

37 minutes ago, DavidLee said:

Roystonea loose all their leaves during a really had Hurricane. That is one reason they survive. Sabals  are the palms that look like nothing happened after any hurricane.

I had a royal lose 5 green leaves in a strong wind storm! They have a breaking point at the top of the crownshaft/base of the leaf that snaps super easily. I guess it's a good adaptation, as not many palms can grow to 100 feet tall in a hurricane prone area. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

They look like poles for about a year or two after a Cat 4 or 5. I lost two leafs at the top of one my Royal Palms after Hurricane Irma. That annoyed me until a few months back. 

I think this topic can be complicated about Royal Palm leafs length and size. I have the same issue with my R. Regia in Florida. I have three large Royals with two of them with massive full crowns and one with a smaller crown. All three are competing for sunlight and the smaller crowned one is competing more with a massive 100 year old laurel oak and fairly large live oak. So I believe if you crowd a Royal with large trees or large palms, the crown and trunk will be smaller. My guess is that the small crowned Royal will get bigger when it gets taller and gets more sun. Also it might stay smaller because of its genetics. Just like people Royals can have their own individual characteristics. I really hope it gets bigger. So I understand your issue DoomsDave.

11 hours ago, ck_in_fla said:

They're not totally immune, though. When they do fall, even the doctors get squeamish, especially if it's on their house.

I remember pictures of some that were blown down by Hurricane Andrew back in 1992. Shows how nasty Andrew was.

I know they are not immuned. Sabals are not either. We had a few old Sabal palmettos get blown over in my hometown during Hurricane Irma. Most of them that didn’t fall over looked like nothing happened. Pretty amazing. They I might of seen a few Cat 2 gusts. Same with Puerto Rico with Hurricane Maria. The sabal causiarums looked unfazed after even worse hurricane.

I might have to have one my Royals moved.  It is about 10 feet from a small house. It will be scary when it gets tall.  A few fall during hurricanes. Zeeth was saying how they evolved and been able to survive in the Hurricane belt.

• Upvote 1

No hurricans here in eastern Spain but heavy winds damage Roystonea leaves. 

It seems they're quite sensible to strong winds.

I live in Altea, Spain 38°34'N 0º03'O. USDA zone 11a. Coastal microclimate sheltered by mountains. 
The coconuts shown in my avatar are from the Canary Islands, Spain ! :)

I've noticed the same size differences with queens down here in Orlando.  There are some that are utterly massive, easily 40+ foot overall diameter.  And others that are barely 20 feet diameter, despite being of similar CT height and both otherwise looking perfectly healthy with no apparent water or nutritional problems.  Even in plantings at the same house I've seen several different sizes with no reason other than genetics to explain the size differences.

I had a friend try to convince me that I should only plant "self-cleaning" palms.  I kind of like the idea of removing fronds when I want to, not when they decide to fly off and demolish whatever is under it.  I might change my mind once they get to >30 feet tall... :D 

On 1/13/2019 at 12:40 PM, Merlyn2220 said:

I've noticed the same size differences with queens down here in Orlando.  There are some that are utterly massive, easily 40+ foot overall diameter.  And others that are barely 20 feet diameter, despite being of similar CT height and both otherwise looking perfectly healthy with no apparent water or nutritional problems.  Even in plantings at the same house I've seen several different sizes with no reason other than genetics to explain the size differences.

I had a friend try to convince me that I should only plant "self-cleaning" palms.  I kind of like the idea of removing fronds when I want to, not when they decide to fly off and demolish whatever is under it.  I might change my mind once they get to >30 feet tall... :D 

Queens are definitely safer than royals.  :-)

Zone 9b/10a