IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Are there any nurseries in the US growing Trachycarpus takil?

Explorer

Here in Europe we have now lots of Trachycarpus takil grown from seeds collected recently in India in habitat. I wander if its also be grown now in North America. It has shown here good coldhardiness so it should be a nice addition to the list of coldhardy palms grown overthere.

Alexander

Not that I know of. From the way it looks I will only grow NOVA from now on, no more fortunai or Waggy.

I've picked up some at Golden Gate Palms in Richmond, CA. They have lots of the rarer trachies - takil, martianus, latisectus, etc.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I am looking if there is any nursery overthere wich would be interested to import young ones from my country. A Dutch nursery from which I know the owner well is growing them from seeds by the thousends. Those seeds come from the Kalamuni area where also my profil picture had been taken. I have been twice to that area and I am only one of the few Westerners wich has visited that area. Its a real Trachycarpus takil Shangri La overthere...

Alexander

Yes, Jungle Music near San Diego. Kept one in a pot, and planted the other In the ground(will protect In winter)

Yes, Jungle Music near San Diego. Kept one in a pot, and planted the other In the ground(will protect In winter)

Thanks,

I will contact them.

Kind regards,

Alexander

I had a look at the website of jungle music. I know there are a few T. takil planted out et several places in California. But there is always the possibility that seeds from those T. takil will produce some hybrids with other Trachycarpus like T. fortunei. With T. takil seeds from the wild you do not have that problem as there are no other Trachycarpus in that area. Well not in the 2 areas I have seen them.

Alexander

Here it is. Will be first winter in the ground, protected of course. This is on the South side of my house so gets a lot of sun and warmth.

post-9928-0-57495500-1438106056_thumb.jp

Here it is. Will be first winter in the ground, protected of course. This is on the South side of my house so gets a lot of sun and warmth.

attachicon.gifT. Takil.jpg

Trachycarpus takil in Nebraska, thats a very nice experiment! Tropical summer but also Russian winters overthere. A very continental climate! Here where I live in The Netherlands it never gets that extreme. We have plenty Trachycarpus fortunei here, grows well in our climate and has shown good winterhardiness. Well at least in the milder parts of the country. T. takil is a new palm here, but it seems to have similair coldhardiness as T. fortunei. Its real coldhardiness we will learn after we get one day a nasty cold winter. The test of the pudding is in the eating so to say.

Alexander