IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis sp. "Maroantsetra" on fire

Pando

Growth progress. On the last image the new leaves are on the back so it appears the same height due to perspective, but actually it's about a foot taller.

X4GEO06.jpg
  • Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these today and am not sure about risking it outside up here.  Anyone tried one of these inside?  Might work as it is an understory plant?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

On 1/8/2017, 8:02:41, Pando said:
Growth progress. On the last image the new leaves are on the back so it appears the same height due to perspective, but actually it's about a foot taller.

X4GEO06.jpg

I remember when it was just a little tyke..

the good'ol days :)

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017‎ ‎6‎:‎25‎:‎53‎, Ben in Norcal said:

I picked up one of these today and am not sure about risking it outside up here.  Anyone tried one of these inside?  Might work as it is an understory plant?

Ben, good luck with this one. I'm not even sure if that one is 100% rosea, which I've heard is notoriously difficult here. It could be pinnatifrons or some hybrid, which may explain the performance and hardiness.

I'm not suggesting you try that, but this thing is growing in the worst sticky clay soil you can think of, with a bit of mulch on top, but it likes it wet. I did not amend anything, just stuck it in the hole. No idea how it will do indoors however, but I have some pinnatifrons seedlings (not this one, different) indoors and they are excruciatingly slow.

59 minutes ago, Pando said:

Ben, good luck with this one. I'm not even sure if that one is 100% rosea, which I've heard is notoriously difficult here. It could be pinnatifrons or some hybrid, which may explain the performance and hardiness.

I'm not suggesting you try that, but this thing is growing in the worst sticky clay soil you can think of, with a bit of mulch on top, but it likes it wet. I did not amend anything, just stuck it in the hole. No idea how it will do indoors however, but I have some pinnatifrons seedlings (not this one, different) indoors and they are excruciatingly slow.

Thanks for the input, Pando.  I have mine potted up and inside, but could always move it out in warmer weather...guess I am giving it a go?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Let us know how it does Ben. I've had mine outside completely unprotected (although close to the house, and under an archo and roebelenii). It has seen 37-38 or so for 3 winters now, but growth definitely slows down for a month or two. Definitely an understory specimen.

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Please note: The imagery I have taken and posted in this and other threads here in Palmtalk are for your enjoyment, meaning they are for private, non-commercial use only, and for IPS use as per user agreement of this forum.

Unless prior arrangements are made with me, these images are not to be used for commercial purposes or non-IPS related publications. Without naming any individuals, this means you may not use them in your own ad to make a profit, or distribute or publish them without credit. I hate watermarks, as they detract from the experience, and they can be easily circumvented. My output will be severely limited if I'm forced to add them, and it will not be worth my time.

Thank you for understanding.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Update from August 6, 2017:

Photos are not retouched in any way, but the leaf is backlit by sun. This leaf opened about a week ago.

zOpQC7V.jpg

MvzbhXm.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I sent some detailed pictures to Floribunda. Jeff and Suchin both thought that the leaflets and form is similar to Dypsis sp. "Maroantsetra" and not to Dypsis rosea. So this is interesting.

Growth progress, exactly 3 years, pictures taken 6 months apart:

zPSAhx3.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Upvote 1

:o:drool:

The beauty makes my jaw weak with awe and my adrenaline spike with motivation.  WHERE CAN I GET ONE?!?! I gotta have one. I NEED one.:drool:

Absolutely beautiful specimen and pictures. Well done Pando! :greenthumb:

Edited by Jesse
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I have I think 8 of them and they are doing great . They have put a couple new leaves since I received them few months ago. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, cassowaryhill said:

@Kennybenjamin any in Australia ???

Similar things are in people’s gardens but have not seen anything like it in pots for a few years

Edited by Kennybenjamin
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2017 at 5:15 PM, Pando said:

How about TWO red leaves at the same time! Pictures taken this afternoon without a backlit sun.

MGWJKxd.jpg

IuCOKHq.jpg

54HNtO1.jpg

Pando,

It has been 2 years!  Can you post some updates of your palm?  I was fortunate enough to get a few of these and want to show pictures of your palm to them to inspire them to grow like yours.  

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

9 hours ago, joe_OC said:

Pando,

It has been 2 years!  Can you post some updates of your palm?  I was fortunate enough to get a few of these and want to show pictures of your palm to them to inspire them to grow like yours.  

I 2nd that request 

T J 

Here are some pictures I took just now. It's hard to take good photos as it's getting really tall. It still has that perpetual new red leaf. Lower leaves got a little ratty due to last two winters that weren't very kind. But now it's getting more sun so it's not growing as fast. I'd say it's probably about 14 feet tall, trunk is getting fatter also.

fH76hGG.jpg

I9ZOUpk.jpg

HhDjSWR.jpg

Edited by Pando
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

That is a beast! Well grown Pando. Hope mine look like that someday. Looks like its still holding the fuss way down the trunk. Definitely different from my D. rosea"s. They are all smooth.

MLW

Thanks, Pando!  So great to see it thrive.  14’. That’s amazing growth.  How big was it when you started?  1 gal?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 11 months later...

One of the many wonderful things about PalmTalk is the search engine. I have three small Dypsis sp. Maroantsetra palms, bought as 4 inch pot size last May. I can see roots coming out the bottom of 1 gallon size pots so of course I headed to PT to learn more about what to expect.

Wow Pando, yours is stunning! Your topic is beautifully photographed and documented.

In the next few days I plan to find a decent spot for mine as a group. Hoping they will look like yours someday, but beautiful at any size!

Cindy Adair

• 7 months later...