IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Archontophoenix tuckeri seed

DoomsDave

Gettin' kind of ridiculous in here.  

I think my germination rate is over 60%!!!

Way to go!

Some of my pots are at 100% or close.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

They should sprout quickly after a day or two of soaking.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, you literately will have 1000's of kids all over the world in no time flat..lol

you must be a proud papa..:D

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Here's a pot full of babies, full to the rim like a cup of Brim

024.thumb.JPG.e52b6f0e653e0adea115b79f4e

they grow so darn fast....

3-2-1 blast offffff

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

I have this weird, "If you stay alive I will keep you" mentality for palms.  So, now I have about 2 dozen new wards to take care of and I really don't have the room. 

Can these be planted in groups?  Or, alternatively, how do you decide which seedlings to cull?

• Upvote 1

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

38 minutes ago, Funkthulhu said:

I have this weird, "If you stay alive I will keep you" mentality for palms.  So, now I have about 2 dozen new wards to take care of and I really don't have the room. 

Can these be planted in groups?  Or, alternatively, how do you decide which seedlings to cull?

If you think in giveaway some...

Rio_Grande.gif

Shoe not wanted.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

• 3 months later...

Not me...but i suppose you checked the pot before sending it my way :)

These little shiny seedlings are doing fine btw, even in our darker wintermonths they seem to like my nursery room (min. 22°C @ 55-70% RH)

10 hours ago, _Rob_ said:

Not me...but i suppose you checked the pot before sending it my way :)

These little shiny seedlings are doing fine btw, even in our darker wintermonths they seem to like my nursery room (min. 22°C @ 55-70% RH)

Rob, I wasn't aware of these "special sprouts" at the time I gave you the seedlings. Better check them real good!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 5 months later...

Dave,

What are these things?!?  I've got several that are a foot tall and one that's bigger around than my thumb already?!?  (Do I need to get a bigger apartment?)

3 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Dave,

What are these things?!?  I've got several that are a foot tall and one that's bigger around than my thumb already?!?  (Do I need to get a bigger apartment?)

They're fast growing Archies. They're seeding again. They want to take over the WORLD.

That's FAST; much faster than the ones I've got outside in their legions.

Something I must have done wrong, I had silly low germination rate and seedlings are everything but fast. 

3 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Something I must have done wrong, I had silly low germination rate and seedlings are everything but fast. 

Want more? I have tons of fresh ones.

Plant in single layer in pot, cover with 1 cm potting soil, keep moist.

As I noted for FunkThulu above, they're definitely slower in a Mediterranean climate than in a hotter environment. I'll send a picture of my year-old babies so you won't feel so bad . . . :)

(I've got your address from the Brahea seeds!)

Let me know if you want more!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Dave,

How about some pictures?

35 minutes ago, Cikas said:

I also had no luck with Archontophoenix tuckeri. I had zero germination from both batches.

Ouch!

If you want more, I have them.

Dave, I'll shoot some pics when I get home tonight.

18 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Ouch!

If you want more, I have them.

Thanks. If you have more, sure.

Maybe third time's a charm. :)

Edited by Cikas

1 minute ago, Cikas said:

Thanks. If you have more, sure.

Maybe third time's a charm. :)

Send me a PM with your address, please and "Archontophoenix seeds" in message

thanks

dave

My babies tuckeris Californians . First pinnate leaves.  They were planted in November 2015.57b4de9c188fa_tuckeri001.thumb.JPG.6101d57b4dec27edee_tuckeri002.thumb.JPG.a71bf57b4deeab70e3_tuckeri004.thumb.JPG.077dfThank you very much  Dave. Caixeta.

• Upvote 2

Caixeta

21 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Dave, I'll shoot some pics when I get home tonight.

...I forgot to take pics

Caixeta's look better anyway.

Some of the sprouts...

20160818_194039_zpswdbsndq2.jpg

The big fella

20160818_194023_zpsizuo6qvt.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Funkthulhu said:

Some of the sprouts...

20160818_194039_zpswdbsndq2.jpg

The big fella

20160818_194023_zpsizuo6qvt.jpg

WHOA! :o

Do you have them on a Steroid Drip, 24/7?

My babies are all a tiny fraction of that size! :hmm:

I'd say you've blown everyone else into the weeds, as the old saying goes.

West facing window, 14hr/day fluorescent lighting over winter months, all the water it can drink.

My 2 survivors  and I'm very happy with them. ( the others from the batch rotted due to bad mix soil)

Nuevamente GRACIAS @DoomsDave

57be0ac104f64_2016-08-2416.52.16.thumb.j

57be0af6c279b_2016-08-2416.51.19.thumb.j

57be0b268c6c5_2016-08-2416.51.56.thumb.j

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

On 8/25/2016, 1:46:19, dalmatiansoap said:

Beautiful seedlings! How old are they? What's soil mixture secret?

Which ones?

Rio_Grande.gif

5 hours ago, foxtail said:

Which ones?

Yours. Dark green leaves are fantastic! Most others, mine included, are not so green.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Yours. Dark green leaves are fantastic! Most others, mine included, are not so green.

Ohh thanks. The seeds rotted was in potting soil only.

This seedlings are in a potting soil with perlite, lava rock and bark chip at not specific ratio.

The first seed sprouted on 25 August 2015.

Edited by foxtail
  • Upvote 1

Rio_Grande.gif

Yeah, sprouted one year ago from Dave's batches he sent out.  

I repotted the biggest one in its own container on Saturday, seems to be doing okay so far.  Do these guys handle repotting okay?   How much can you screw with the roots? There's gotta be a dozen in the one pot right now. (my first pic)  They've got inches between them, but I can't imagine they're going to live very happily together like that. Suggestions?

9 hours ago, Funkthulhu said:

Yeah, sprouted one year ago from Dave's batches he sent out.  

I repotted the biggest one in its own container on Saturday, seems to be doing okay so far.  Do these guys handle repotting okay?   How much can you screw with the roots? There's gotta be a dozen in the one pot right now. (my first pic)  They've got inches between them, but I can't imagine they're going to live very happily together like that. Suggestions?

Gently separate them, keep them warm and moist.

I get about a 95% survival rate, even with my ham-handed husbandry . . .

18 hours ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Mine are like yours, but don't worry.

Keep them moist and warm and they'll be 5 M tall and seeding in 10 years, with a little luck.

• Upvote 1

Nothing above the ground here, i assume i did something wrong as well. Normally I don't have too much problems with germinating palm seeds. 
Need to do my best more next time. 

Southwest

After reading all this seems to me that these seeds are viable for short time. After 3 weeks germination rate is falling rapidly.

Everyone:

I'm going to do a new giveaway, so I'm asking Dean to lock this thread so I pick up with a new one, to avoid confusion.

Meantime, might as well send me PMs with Archie seed and your full name and address. And don't ask if I still have any! I have so many they're beginning to harm my already questionable sanity.

Thanks to all

And the word is Palm Love, spread the word.