IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Free Archontophoenix tuckeri seed

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I have a fine crop of A. tuckeri seeds, and the ones I tested were all sinkers, that is, they didn't float, so they should germinate well.

Here's a picture of one of the trees. It's about 25 feet (8m) tall, trunk is about 45 cm (18") across the base.

post-208-0-66546800-1437624233_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-74740700-1437624443_thumb.jpg

The Shoe is 13" (32 cm) long.

post-208-0-07434500-1437624714_thumb.jpg

I have about a dozen in my garden. They make great canopy. They're fast, pretty all year round, don't hold dead leaves. They rustle in the wind. The specimen pictured was a 3 foot (1 M) tall 15 gallon in 2008.

They will suffer cold damage below freezing 0 C, 32 F, but recover quickly if heat comes back. They HATE desert heat.

They will grow well indoors, but if happy they'll rapidly outgrow vertical space in a one-story room.

Seed will be posted FREE anywhere in the world.

If you want some:

Send me a PM wiht "Free tuckeri seed" in the message; and your full address. If you've gotten other seed from me before, please give me your address again. (I delete old messages.)

No charge.

I'll wait a while then process a bunch of requests at once. if I've sent you seed before, and you want more, ASK! There's a bunch.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hi Dave, I'll take some seed

Thanks amigo!!

Josh-o

3523 Rick ridge road Carlsbad ca 92010

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Wow, super generous offer Dave. I'd love some but am headed out on vacation for 10 days so can't have them taking up space in the old mailbox! :bummed:

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Wow, Dave! You are the Biz-bomb!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Wow, super generous offer Dave. I'd love some but am headed out on vacation for 10 days so can't have them taking up space in the old mailbox! :bummed:

Ben,

Call me when you get back. I'll have them for you!

Have a fun and safe vacation!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Ben,

Call me when you get back. I'll have them for you!

Have a fun and safe vacation!

JC

Cheers John!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

There's plenty of seed. The plant pictured has one bunch I haven't harvested yet.

There's more coming, too.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

You Sir, are a generous man. RESPECT!

Dave, a while back at the Altadena meeting I came home with several king palm seedlings. Some where Purpurea and some where Tuckeri. They both said "Larrys seed" on the tag. Does that just mean they came from his palm tree?

You Sir, are a generous man. RESPECT!

Dave, a while back at the Altadena meeting I came home with several king palm seedlings. Some where Purpurea and some where Tuckeri. They both said "Larrys seed" on the tag. Does that just mean they came from his palm tree?

THANKS!

Yes, Larry has both tuckeri and purpurea.

Purpurea takes high heat a lot better. Protect them from the hot desert sun and keep them out of the wind if you can.

And, water them a lot, especially the tuckeri.

DON'T BE SHY.

There's a lot of seed. Might have to rev up the Chainsaw of Doom later, lots of seed for now.

If you want to give some to a friend, make a separate PM and give me the friend's address.

Worldwide.

• Upvote 1

Everyone:

I've got 25 requests so far, can easily do another 25 - easily.

There's a LOT of seed.

They won't keep their viability forever, plant as soon as you can on receipt, keep under rainforest conditions, moist, but not in a swamp.

Dave, I'll PM you. I'm in the UK on vacation but if you can ship next week, that would be perfect. Incoming...

Ben Rogers

Dave, I'll PM you. I'm in the UK on vacation but if you can ship next week, that would be perfect. Incoming...

Ben,

I have already ordered some from David for you (far too hot here for them).....If I get them early next week, I'll bag and tag 'em in peat and pumice for you.

No worries!

Have a great vacation...Blimey!

JC

John Case

Brentwood CA

Ben,

I have already ordered some from David for you (far too hot here for them).....If I get them early next week, I'll bag and tag 'em in peat and pumice for you.

No worries!

Have a great vacation...Blimey!

JC

Cool, thanks John...did not want to miss out!

Ben Rogers

Today, 20 envelopes went out, with 7 more to go this evening.

If you're in Europe, it will take about 10 days to get to you. If in Oz, about 2 -3 weeks, in my experience.

In the U.S. about half the time.

95% of the seeds I checked at random sank like stones. They should sprout.

Some will have a bit of mold on the outside. I recommend planting the seeds immediately in a pot of potting soil and keeping it moist.

You're all welcome

and

there's more seed for anyone who wants it.

And more to come.

Spread palmy love.

That was fast!

Padded package arrived yesterday, August 3rd. Look like really great seeds!

Thanks, Dave!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Seeds arrived, postage due! You owe me a beer!

John Case

Brentwood CA

hi Dave
May I ask a question?
What you write on the green card.
gift and that there are Palmseeds in?
or just Gift.Mijn brother is on vacation in Aruba and want to send seeds.
What should he write?

Seeds reached Rio Grande, Puerto Rico today. Thanks a lot Dave. :36_14_15[1]:

post-10373-0-01120700-1438915231_thumb.j

What is the best method to sprout them? Baggy or pot?

Rio_Grande.gif

Whoo-ee, that was fast over to Europe?

Alas, Foxtail, not the sage of seeds. I planted three 3-gallon pots full of them; potting soil, coverlighly, keep moist.

• Upvote 1

Whoo-ee, that was fast over to Europe?

Alas, Foxtail, not the sage of seeds. I planted three 3-gallon pots full of them; potting soil, coverlighly, keep moist.

:yay: Got it, thanks again and again

Rio_Grande.gif

There's a lot more left.

This is one infructescence I picked a couple days ago. And, I've got more.

(Shoe not included.)

post-208-0-67554200-1439258363_thumb.jpg